Best Sports Car Ever made by mankind!!!!!

Discussion in '2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06' started by mpg, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Re: Best Sports Car Ever made by mankind!!!!!

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Bigblockbrawler426Hemistage8</i>
    <b>We can say it because of it impressive handling and impressive performance on all road surfaces, as it has said the chevy's engine is much lighter than its competitors and the 350 is a block that has been produced since 33 years.So the 350 is an institution!</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Not on all road surfaces. Motor Trend recently tested The Vette and some other cars, and said that the Vette didn't handle as well on a rough road as the other cars they tested. Still a great car though!<!-- Signature -->

2. Re: Best Sports Car Ever made by mankind!!!!!

I think for the price at which the vette is being offered makes it one , notice I said one, of the best sports cars around it offers high performance at a reasonable low cost to which most people can afford and experience true sports car performance w/o having to purchase a 90,000 to 200,000 dollar car that is absolutely ridiculous.

3. Re: Best Sports Car Ever made by mankind!!!!!

Finding Corvette smaller than Modena or NSX must mean you tried the C4, that one is much smaller and the instep is way more complicated than the C5 who got one of the roomiest cabins around.

Wanting something to outperform on the 1/4 mile you can always take the new Merc CL55, will beat even the Diablo/Murcielago or Ferrari 550 on longer distances, no other NORMAL production-car have ever gone 0-300 km/h(~187 mph) in just over 30 seconds, and this with an automatic gearbox!
    OK, it's more expensive, in Europe about 50% up from the Z06 which btw isn't even sold here...
    And skidpad says #$%#all about how something will perform on a normal road/track, as previous speaker already stated, on uneven roads/bumpy tracks anything American will start behaving quite badly, that's why both Vette and Viper always get's beaten by Ferrari and Porsches on track although the EU-faction are down on power.
    V&V simply haven't got a good enough chassis or properly sorted suspension to really perform where it counts, I mean who really cares about straightline acceleration?
    If you do buy a motorcycle(I mean a proper one, not a Shirley Davidson) and for 10-20% of the cash you will have acceleration to blow away even a Lingenfelder!

4. Re: Best Sports Car Ever made by mankind!!!!!

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from KaNe</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from F1LM My Car</i>
    <b>Actually I personally found the Corvettes rather uncomfortable. It may have something to do with the fact that I am 6'4", but when I test drove the Ferrari 360 and the NSX, they both seemed much more spacious and comfortable. Granted, they are both 2 and 3 times the Corvettes price, but for the added comfort in the 360, I'd be more than willing to triple the price (after a half-hour test drive in the Corvette if felt like I had been stuffed in a rather small cardboard box). Still, for the price its performance can't be beat.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

dude i am 6'5'' 270, when i test drove a Corvette, it FELT FINE!!!! to me! the handling, the smoothness the power was all there!!!, my friends uncle 1999 NSX felt to small 4 me!!! and yes i have been inside a modena it didnt do much help either, the Diablo was just to damnm low! The Vette was perfect!</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->
    Well I guess we just have different tastes in comfort then, don't we? I've never been in a Diablo, but I've seen them at car shows, and they look WAY too low for me. And by comfort I didn't mean the power and drivability, those were great. It's just that I felt cramped as compared to the NSX and 360. Not that I'd buy one, but does anyone know what the inside of a Viper is like?<!-- Signature -->

5. Re: Best Sports Car Ever made by mankind!!!!!

spartan works when you need the extra room. I know a guy who in high school was over 7 feet tall. Know what he drove? A civic. He took out the front driver seat and drove from the back, and when he wanted a fresh breeze, he rolled down the back window. It was the funniest thing ever to watch this guy drive up to school and get out of his car (which he was twice as tall as).<!-- Signature -->

6. Re: Best Sports Car Ever made by mankind!!!!!

Umm, well....when I said that Ferrari/Porsche will outperform on the track I naturally meant standard cars. Professional racing has almost nothing to do with street-cars, look on how much of suspension/brakes/engine is the same between race-tuned and standard?
    On any racetrack in any country you will ALWAYS find that Porsche is the quickest cars, usually followed by Ferraris and this despite the fact that they're down on power, let's face it, Vipers and Vettes are big, ungainly and heavy. Porsche GT3 is probably one of the best race-cars on this planet, it beats Viper and Lambo despite being some 120-200 bhp down in power.
    Now why is that?
    Handling&brakes&more handling, I see myself('01 C5) being dumped in corners even by standard P993's only to make it up on the straights, if I could afford it I'd definitely have an GT3, shame it's twice the price...
    Lambo is beautiful and possess the most sexappeal of anything but they just don't cut it as racers, same as Vipers they're straightline missiles and excellent posers, nothing more when weighing in the power/weight-output compared to competition.
    Merc SL55AMG recently in Germany got more or less(8.128.09) same tracktime on Nuerburgring as these both and it weighs 2000 kg and have an automatic gearbox!!

7. Re: Best Sports Car Ever made by mankind!!!!!

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Bigblockbrawler426Hemistage8</i>
    <b>ch666, If you a top vette take an zr-1 or a lingenfelter, then you will know what is ripping muscle!</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE --> thats what I was talking about<!-- Signature -->

8. Re: Best Sports Car Ever made by mankind!!!!!

ZR1, Lingefelter, and so on...
    None of these cars can or ever have beaten a Porsche Turbo/GT* around a racetrack.
    You americans seem to think that the lowest 1/4-mile means the best sports-car but a sportscar by definition must be able to corner, otherwise it's a dragster!
    An old friend of my father have this 15-y old BMW 520, he has this thing supercharged to +600 bhp and it will beat your ZR1&L.felter in a straight line, does this mean that this old shitty beemer with +150.000 miles on the clock and an aftermarket Turbo bolted on with a total price of maybe 5000$ is a better sportscar?
    I would say no, because try to drive this thing around any corner doing more than 30 mph and it will flip on it's side, it's not a sportscar, it's a goddamn rocket and the same goes for most thing US-made.
    Remember, I own a C5 myself so I don't mind but Vette is NOT a sportscar, it's simply not built very well, it overheats easily and it spends lots of time in the garage for repairs. This is what happens when trying to use a Corvette as a sportscar, it just falls to pieces.

9. Re: Best Sports Car Ever made by mankind!!!!!

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from ch666</i>
    <b>ZR1, Lingefelter, and so on...
    None of these cars can or ever have beaten a Porsche Turbo/GT* around a racetrack.
    You americans seem to think that the lowest 1/4-mile means the best sports-car but a sportscar by definition must be able to corner, otherwise it's a dragster!
    An old friend of my father have this 15-y old BMW 520, he has this thing supercharged to +600 bhp and it will beat your ZR1&L.felter in a straight line, does this mean that this old shitty beemer with +150.000 miles on the clock and an aftermarket Turbo bolted on with a total price of maybe 5000$ is a better sportscar?
    I would say no, because try to drive this thing around any corner doing more than 30 mph and it will flip on it's side, it's not a sportscar, it's a goddamn rocket and the same goes for most thing US-made.
    Remember, I own a C5 myself so I don't mind but Vette is NOT a sportscar, it's simply not built very well, it overheats easily and it spends lots of time in the garage for repairs. This is what happens when trying to use a Corvette as a sportscar, it just falls to pieces.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

The bigotry never ends.<!-- Signature -->

10. Re: Best Sports Car Ever made by mankind!!!!!

Bigotry?!?! Since when did the truth become bigotry... ;-)
    I'd prefer to think that I possess an ability to appreciate different views within the same context/subject!
    Vette an excellent car for highway cruising, looks great and have very respectable acceleration and an excellent talent for foul-smelling donuts, amazingly comfy seats for good money adding to the pleasure of owning one.
    Always a Q of what's most desirable isn't it?
    If track is the only thing that matters, get a Lotus Exige, if you value 1/4-mile more than anything, get a Toyota Supra or even better a Skyline or EVO-VI and tune to >600 bhp.
    Still Vette not a sportscar, Z06 admittedly much closer than C5 but lacking in certain vital areas for European conditions.
    I'd still buy one rather than a GT3 though but that's because of the price and the fact that in my city GT3's are parked in more or less every street-corner, even in the winter with snow on the streets...

11. Re: Best Sports Car Ever made by mankind!!!!!

Your an idiot. Put a supercharger on a corvette and you will be so far behind you wouldnt be able to see the taillights<!-- Signature -->

12. Re: Best Sports Car Ever made by mankind!!!!!

Quote from mpg
    There was a video posted in the multimedia forum that showed a standard C5 spanking an Exige at the Ring. It just walked away and hid. It looked like he was toying with the Lotus for a while, but then disappeared more than 2 minutes before the end of the lap.

Cornering the Exige is always way faster than the C5, if not then the driver is shit!
    Nuerburgring is a very fast track and several sections is very much uphill so there BHP pays off, still the C5 is only some 10 sec ahead on a full lap, this is ~8.30 v 8.40 minutes, considering the fact that the Exige has 180 bhp and a topspeed of 215-220 km/h that's a pretty impressive figure.
    There are 2 long sections where I can keep over 220 km/h for some 1.5-2 km so of course I will pull well ahead of anything with less than +250 topspeed but they will catch up in chicanes&slower corners.
    Go to a slower track and the C5 will be left behind and what's most fun, straight-line or cornering? I still think that blasting past another car through a corner is way more fun than overtaking on the straights.

13. Re: Best Sports Car Ever made by mankind!!!!!

amateurs (say that in the grandma and its pretty funny)
    <!-- Signature -->

14. Re: Best Sports Car Ever made by mankind!!!!!

ch666

You said to get an Exige if the track is the only thing that matters. It was perfectly normal to point out that the C5 spanked the Exige on a track. Don't forget that Porsche developed the 908 specifically for the Targa Florio and the Ring. It was a smaller, less powerful alternative to the 917.<!-- Signature -->

15. Re: Best Sports Car Ever made by mankind!!!!!

<b>TO MPG, when you don't have proofs you choke on your wicked tongue!!! Am i clear?</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

No, you're not clear.<!-- Signature -->

16. Re: Best Sports Car Ever made by mankind!!!!!

yeah.......that usually helps.<!-- Signature -->

17. Re: Best Sports Car Ever made by mankind!!!!!

I am usually just looking up stats to tell my friends. One of them thinks Mustangs are the best thing since sliced bread.........

My friend thinks that his Mustang (1988) can absolutely kick the snot out of a 1987 corvette convertable. I think he is being an idiot. Can yall help??<!-- Signature -->

18. Re: Best Sports Car Ever made by mankind!!!!!

yeah , but the REAL problem starts when he wants to race the vette with the Detomaso Pantara..........That is a piece of shit!!!!!!<!-- Signature -->

19. Re: Best Sports Car Ever made by mankind!!!!!

The fastest 0-60 time on any of these is like 5.8 seconds. He acts like it is about as fast as a Z06 or something.<!-- Signature -->

20. Re: Best Sports Car Ever made by mankind!!!!!

He wouldnt see the taillights on the Z06. It would be done the 1/4 mile before he could get the big land yacht off the line<!-- Signature -->

21. Re: Best Sports Car Ever made by mankind!!!!!

Oh that would be just hilarious to see.<!-- Signature -->

22. Re: Best Sports Car Ever made by mankind!!!!!

"daddy , look at that piece of shit race that cool car" "thats right son , it is a gay car"<!-- Signature -->

23. Re: Best Sports Car Ever made by mankind!!!!!

civics are just pregnant roller skates........about as fast as one too.<!-- Signature -->

24. Re: Best Sports Car Ever made by mankind!!!!!

ahahahahaha....cough...cough.......ahahahahhahaahah<!-- Signature -->

25. Re: Best Sports Car Ever made by mankind!!!!!

talk some other time!!<!-- Signature -->