Better than the McLaren F1?

Discussion in '2000 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 Concept' started by dont drink and drive get high and fly home, Mar 27, 2003.

1. Re: Better than the McLaren F1?

Don't think so.

2. Re: Better than the McLaren F1?

I agree crazy finn. Yes to all that think nothing is better than a mclaren here is a heads up. First off NAMES DONT MAKE A CAR FAST, PRICE DOES NOT MAKE A CAR FAST. A FAST LOOKING BODY ON A CAR DOES NOT MAKE IT FAST. This Mclaren is a high priced toy car that is for the guy who wants to say i drive a mclaren. The fastest cars on the street or the strip are the ones that do not cost $400,000 dollars. They are the well tuned normal $40,000 car with major upgrades. Cars that run 8, 9, and 10 sec 1/4 miles will eat up a mclaren. For all you noobs out there how many times have you actually seen a mclaren run a 9 sec quarter mile? Never they don't! That car is an overpriced piece of crap. Fast cars got 550 cubic inch big blocks. This camaro will destroy that mclaren. This camaro is not a camaro its a totally custom car with a camaro body on it. Just cuz a car carries the camaro label does not mean its slow and handles like crap. Would you people say the same thing if they took that camaro and fit a mclaren body on it and called it a mclaren? Also just cuz a car has a big engine does not mean it handles like crap that is the biggest noob statement ever. Hmm one question to think about does a mclaren have a 12 point roll cage? Would that affect the body roll of a car? Yeah it would. Mclaren is a show car! its doors go up, not out. That car is meant for once a year driving, not meant to be taken to the track and beat on relentlessly. The real warriors are at the track all the time and have no fancy names, just lots of cubic inches and a really stiff frame. Mclaren is a joke car. Ask your self this, if you were asked to race, would you go get a mclaren or would you custom build up another car? with no money limit in mind.

3. Re: Better than the McLaren F1?

I agree you guys. The old truth is; Nothing beats cubic inches. You can try to to install turbos etc.stuff in a small engine,but why to do it when you can use a big engine (big block v8 in American style) and get that same power(and more..why you guys think that the fastest cars=drag race cars (that can go easily under 5 sec 1/4 mile)use big American v8 engines? Because they need POWER and reliability. And I`m from Europe and I live in the middle of BMWs,Audis etc..still I have Corvette in my garage, and now you you know the reason=)
    By the way,McLaren is an ugly car..of course that was my personal point of view.

4. Re: Better than the McLaren F1?

but some small engines are designed exlucivly to take large amounts of boost. these, in most cases, can be tuned to a higher extent than a regular V8. like the record for a RB26DETT is 1600 HP, but I have never heared of a LS6 having more than 1100.

5. Re: Better than the McLaren F1?

Horsepower is just a number. When you get a bigger engine the peak horsepower may be lower but it will be more like a flat line. Turbos and superchargers create peaky wind up horsepower. Its all about the total power across the band. Also torque which is often over looked is what can decide most races. Bigger engines make torque a lot more easily than a small engine. If i were to tell you that SLP made a custom camaro at 500 hp and 500 torque and it ran 10 second quarter. That is because they stroked the hell out of it so it had flat power bands. If they just threw a supercharger on it to get the 500 hp it would be running at best a high 11. More like a 12 second.

6. Re: Better than the McLaren F1?

this thing don't stand a chance gainst the mclaren, or a saleen s7!

7. Re: Better than the McLaren F1?

i have never even heard of anybody testing this car. im 100% sure that this is an estimate. there is no way that this car can do 0-60 in 2 seconds because this car is too damn heavy and it cant get any traction because it would light up its tires just by tappin the gas. theres torque for you!!

8. Re: Better than the McLaren F1?

So maybe the LS-6 (I assume you mean the newer small block version) hasn't been tuned to more than 1100 hp, but there are plenty of turbo-V8s around making over 2000 hp.

9. Re: Better than the McLaren F1?

Im a die hard American muscle fan..yes I agree the Mclaren is a great car but in this situation im going for the camaro. It has more overall horses and torque and it can blister the track. So it seems. I own 2 american muscle cars..A black 1969 429ci boss mustang with white leather interior and I also own a 1970 charger with a 454ci engine pumpin around 850-900 horses..nice big blower. But that doesnt matter im goin camaro mainly b/c I dont like any foreign cars except the porsche.

10. Re: Better than the McLaren F1?

ooo, i dont like this . hmm, im not sure about that.. this is oppinion city. just by looking at the ground clearance on the camaro im doubting its performance. and having a huge engine at the front of the car. i mean massive. you think thats going to make it out handle the mclaren? on paper this car wins with incredible figures. but one figure is missing. its track time. hp/weight. someone please take this into account. its the reason whi 1.5 litre track cars (street legal and very very cheap) can beat stock vipers around a track, and also a large amount of on exotic european machinery. HP/WEIGHT. the mclaren is in no way a show car. its the ultimate road car based on the virdicts of people who drive race cars for a living. i would sooner trust their judgement then these posts here. do i have an oppinion? of course i do, they both look ugly. but omg what does that have to do with track performance.
    MCLAREN 1
    CAMARO 0

11. Re: Better than the McLaren F1?

Why is everyone obsessed with McLaren? I know it's an excellent car but why do all the Vs. have to be with a McLaren?

12. Re:
    Better than the McLaren F1?

How can you even begin to compare a camaro and a F1? The camaro is tremendously outmatched, although camaro is my favorite car i know that the mclaren f1 would beat the pants off of a camaro any day . But i do believe the camaro is a better car for the money.

13. Re: Better than the McLaren F1?

ooo, i dont like this . hmm, im not sure about that.. this is oppinion city. just by looking at the ground clearance on the camaro im doubting its performance. and having a huge engine at the front of the car. i mean massive. you think thats going to make it out handle the mclaren? on paper this car wins with incredible figures. but one figure is missing. its track time. hp/weight. someone please take this into account. its the reason whi 1.5 litre track cars (street legal and very very cheap) can beat stock vipers around a track, and also a large amount of on exotic european machinery. HP/WEIGHT. the mclaren is in no way a show car. its the ultimate road car based on the virdicts of people who drive race cars for a living. i would sooner trust their judgement then these posts here. do i have an oppinion? of course i do, they both look ugly. but omg what does that have to do with track performance.
    MCLAREN 1
    CAMARO 0

i agree with that whole heartedly.

14. Re: Better than the McLaren F1?

i love this car but i'm definately going to have to disagree
    overall i think the mclaren is a much better car
    for design, overall preformance and the reputation the car carries all beat the camaro

15. American Muscle is the best.

I would take an American car over any car. Americans are known for their Displacement. And theres no replacement for Displacement. All that low end torque.

16. Re: Better than the McLaren F1?

aaahhhh, the 911 turbo. Possibly the best all round car...ever?

17. Re: Better than the McLaren F1?

If the people that say that japanese cars are better for straightline performance then domestic beasts they are wrong. Iv seen this TT V-8 nuot sure wat engine but when it dynod it blew the rubber off its rims and it putt 1100 during the burnout. but im pretty sure there were arround 1800 if it din burnout. Also this old Z car had v-8 and it burned out in 1 2 3 gears like mad. But its that amatuers judge this car that it will blister track. If it will blister than why isnt it known like the popularity of a M3 or R34. The car for mi opinion is way high reduce engine size increse technology. but i have to say that some americans truly know how to make engines the flat tourqe!

18. Re:

Yeah, it's not like there's any way to get low-end torque other than a huge engine. And no one but Americans have never made large engines.

19. Re: Better than the McLaren F1?

Jap car guy is an IDIOT

no there is no repalcement for displacement

sorry but your beloved skyline has been beat in all catgories oF racing and performance by a chevy corvette z06 and it costs lesS and looks better also.

If U tell me that its not fair because its a v8, Then I will tell u (Buick GNX) v6 single turbo beat a twin turbo i-6 4wd(skyline)

SO hahahah to you precious skyline

Ill take Porche over Skyline anyday

20. Re: Better than the McLaren F1?

the cahrger wasn't fiotted with a 454 but a 426ci hemi or 440 magnum or a 440-6.The 426hemi poured 425hp official but in reality it developped 550hp.
    THe mac laren is a race car and the camaro is a drag car.thaose are two different things.

regards

426hemistage8

21. Re: Better than the McLaren F1?

congrats you have won the "Dumbass of the day" award

22. Re: Better than the McLaren F1?

Okay first of all lets see that we are comparing a 1 million dollar car aginst a camaro that would cost no more than 100 000. But due to the facts presented the camaro zl1 is defenetly better in racing. The camaro is 1.2 seconds under the Maclaren. Thats a lot like 2 to 3 cars in between. I agree with the guy that said that no because is expensive, sport looking, and low ground clearance means is fast. it Sure all of those things are good attributes that give a good inpression in a car. This car is a dream car but only because it was built for rich people who have no other thing than to expend their money in a car that they barely even drive, a dream car because we regular dudes can't affor it. Guys did you know that the Formula cars cost less than 30 000 to built but are sold at a price of 1/2 a million. Thats why im telling you no because it cost a million dollar means is better. That means that you could get a frame of a car by a $13000 572hp Zl1 mottor and beat the shit out of Maclarens. So yes I love the two cars in every aspect looks, power and else but this one was won by the camaro.

By the way to the idiot that the cars hasnt even seen raced. Dude I have 4 clips of a ZL1 burning tires, racing and playing beging a factory in a someplace.

23. Re: Better than the McLaren F1?

DO YOU MORRON HAVE ANY CLUE ON HOW FAST THE F1 IS? IT GOES 242MPH AND CAN TURN ON THE DIME! OH YEA THIS F BODY CAN KICK A MCLAREN F1S AZZ ON WHAT THE DRAG STRIP? BECUASE I THINK THIS CAR WOULD HANDLE LIKE A SCHOOL BUS GONIN 80! THUS THE MCLAREN F1 SMOKE THIS CAR IN LOOKS PERFORMANCE! AND IN RECORDS BECAUSE IS THIS A REAL SUPERCAR? NO IT IS NOT A REAL SUPERCAR! KEEP THAT IN MIND JUST LIKE THE SSC, AND THE ME412 NOT IN PRODUCTION! THESE CARS ARE ONLY CONCEPTS DREAMS THEY ARNT GONNA SELL A 230MPH STOCK SUPERCAR ON AMERICAS ROADS AND BESIDES LIVE THAT JOB TO SOME REAL MUSCLE CARS LIKE THE LAMBORGHINIS, FERRARIS AND ZONDAS, EVEN YOUR SO HATED MCLAREN F1!

24. Re: Better than the McLaren F1?

YA Mclared F1 over this any day, but This will still take it in acceleration and top speed, plus its naturally aspirated(not that mclaren isnt) But LIke I said in the other thread, They sell the GM 572 CI engine and U can buy an F body...Drop in the 572 ci engine, put on some hedders and a race transmission..possibly change the driveshaft and the differential...and U have a ZL1 of your own...and ITLL KILL ANYTHING ON THE STREET!

25. Re: Better than the McLaren F1?

I agree the f1 and this car are two different things. With money you can make of a simple camaro an amazing muscle car if you buy the gm zz crate engine.