Brexit

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by IdoL, Jun 23, 2016.

1. If companies go, then so does its personnel. Some get to migrate along, the simpletons can be found locally. That's how it is and always has been, think of the great deinstrualisation of the continent to either cheaper areas or even all the way to East-Asia. These were situations that could've been avoided with subsidies (EU/National style), but we didn't. You focus on the business aspect of things of multinationals and that's a fine perspective to have and a pretty valid point, but it's also the only point. The UK paid annually around 14 billion euros to be part of the EU. I'm not even sure if the doom scenario you sketch would amount this sum. We can't know yet, we'll see. I'm sure companies would be open to offers/deals if that means they wouldn't have to relocate, the national legislation as well as standing trade deals are still there, after all. I feel like you underestimate the UK when it comes to their (in)ability to keep the business where it is now. But that's just my point of view.

And for me it's pretty easily said indeed, also because of the ginormous contribution per person to be a EU-member, that I know the tax wouldn't be thát much higher in comparison. And truly, I think about this alot, discussed this alot, read alot, etc. but it's time to be responsible for ourselves again instead of being dictated by a central government that hasn't been chosen democratically. What was wrong with the pre-Maastricht Treaty Europe? I think that was the best of both worlds: it maintained the identity of each country whilst having efficient and functional trade pacts.

rs4man likes this.
  2. [​IMG]

SEABEE and rs4man like this.
  3. But what about nando's?

4. lmao ya, nationalists dont put their own nations interests above all else, traditionally, but unelected bureaucrats in Brussels do

hope you're out of work soon, EU puppet

5. Can't be bothered to read through my own thread.

6. WHAT

I thought this was a dead thing. When things were relatively ok, the EU decided that it would be a bad idea to include Turkey. Now when the problems related to far-too-rapid EU expansion are more visible and conflicts have erupted in Turkey's neighbours, we want Turkey in the EU?

What sort of cannabis was smoked in the circles that decided that it would be a nice thing for the EU to share a border with Iraq, Syria, Iran, Armenia and that Nakichevah POS that might become a warzone at any moment (Karabah already is).

Without a hint of sarcasm I can claim that EU sharing a border with North Korea and Somalia would be less of a bad idea.

ETB4U, rs4man and MooSquad like this.
  7. [​IMG]

rs4man likes this.
  8. So, this is the UK equivalent of Trump winning the US election. Congratulations, you fucking idiots.

9. The EU is literally worse for Europe than Nazi Germany ever was
    implying that either is a bad thing maybe means that you're the actual idiot?

10. Brexit Trump 2016

944turb0 likes this.
  11. get a bit more subtle with your trolling

SEABEE and HippoCrushEverything like this.
  12. tell me again how a permanent, forced demographic shift is going to end up in a multicultural utopia 20 years from now?

MooSquad likes this.
  13. You mean Hillary

14. Want to lose some weight, move to England. You'll lose some pounds.

HA

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

rs4man likes this.
  15. It's entirely up to the EU to decide if it will grant the UK membership of the EFTA/EEA. EU has negotiated bilateral agreements with Switzerland, for example, because it's profitable to the EU.

Switzerland does not hold any power in determining whether it has the membership of EFTA. Something like Poland has.

MooSquad likes this.
  16. Fair enough and good points all around. I am convinced however this whole "how much we pay how much we get in return" argument has been so overplayed and even see Farage, Johnson starting to feel reluctant and realizing they're holding a hot potato they created, and already started taking back arguments such as the NHS. They had a great deal and a one-sided one for themselves; Access to a single market but not a member of the currency; the only country with a rebate (negotiated by Thatcher), lions share of the CAP (after Thatcher); good circle of negotiating allies AND not even a part of schengen. 14bn sounds a lot, but it's less after the rebate and varies year after year. Bare in mind this is a US$ 2.8tn economy which makes it ~0.7% expense without the rebate or EU funds sent over there. So, it's less expensive than it appears, it's career eurosceptic politicians that make it sound like a silly extortionate amount.

Regarding ability to keep business, remember that London has benefited tremendously as the gateway to European markets over the past 30 years. Back in the 1970s, London was a cesspool no one wanted a part of, and the country had to call the IMF during the Sterling crisis in 1976 things were so bad. Outside of the EU, there is no way the Big Bang would have had the impact it did.

"Dictated by a central government" is such an overstated cliché IMO. The EU is run by the member states and frankly is powerless to literally dictate sth over somebody (it's not like there's a strong euro-army or whatever). It has taken a good slap and may realize that it went too fast, too ambitiously and has to reconsider things, too. Agreed on the Turkey argument.

I'll just add one more thing, unless the Out compaign decides to make a concession, if the EU decides again to bow on UK's membership demands and special privileges, more and more people will become eurosceptic, most likely myself included.

MooSquad likes this.
  17. My prediction is that the prices of sluts in Continental Yurops will increase over 700%

18. Not the first or the last thing you have been/will be wrong about.

It's one of the things that I like about you, you're very consistently wrong about matters of wide variety.

19. Probably to all sorts of countries as well as overseas. Banks such as HSBC will probably relocate to Asia. I can see many institutions that would prefer Frankfurt, Zürich or Luxembourg to Paris.

This is no small thing by any means and will affect the world economy as a whole. Bank of Finland is now predicting zero growth for 2017, down from 1,2-1,4%. According to this article, $420 billion has disappeared from stock markets in the US alone. Domestic press quoted figures of 250 billion € in the UK. The GDP of Finland according to the World Bank is ~$272 bn ≈ 250 bn €.

Kinda surprised that the pound sterling hasn't plummeted more than it has. If the actual separation from the EU doesn't go smoothly and we end up with regulations/agreements unfavourable to the UK, the value of GBP or/and EUR could drop well below USD.

20. Considering that in November of 2007 1 GBP bought one over 2 USD.

Oh well, the Swiss franc was like 50 cents and now it's over a dorra.

I wanna trade currencies.

21. A few months ago I bought some drugs with BTC and that was like 220 € back then. A couple of days ago it was over 600.

22. I'm also consistently right about matters of wide variety. sometimes you win, sometimes you lose

23. Obviously it isn't going to end in that. At least with a 20-year timeframe.

24. Fixit

Sexit

MooSquad likes this.