Business jets

Discussion in 'Boats, Planes, Other' started by SuperSonic, Sep 2, 2016.

1. I don't know much about them.. which is the best in your opinion? and why?

[​IMG]

2. The whole idea of finding superlatives in engineering is pointless. No sane customer will ever buy the second-best option available to them, so when you're asking what the 'best' thing is, you're really asking what that person's metrics of 'best' are. And since I don't believe anybody here is in the market for a fifty megadollar aircraft, that comes down to asking adult male nerds what their idea of 'cool' is, which is just asking for abuse.

Here's a documentary on a business jet though:

SuperSonic likes this.
  3. Nice documentary thanks.

Lewis hamilton has a challenger.

I realise nobody here is in the market for a business jet just wondered from their own knowledge of the competition which they would buy with infinite money. Would you get a challenger?

4. The G6 because they made a song about it.

SuperSonic likes this.
  5. tu-95
    can't say you won't hear me coming

But seriously, it's all about comfort on the inside and presence on the outside, right (and realiability/support/whatevs)? Lockheed L-100 Hercules then.

6. Um

7. It's a really old plane that's still in service elsewhere no?

8. Yeah, but it's not a plane I'd call 'comfortable'. High-wing turboprops aren't going to be quiet to begin with, and then these things have minimal sound dampening due to their cargo heritage and an unpressurized fuselage (since cargo doors are meant to be opened in flight).

I've heard of one that was converted into a passenger layout (in Dubai, because obviously it was going to be Dubai), but that was, by all accounts, a money-sponge:
    [​IMG]

MooSquad likes this.
  9. Yeah, but props got that presence
    To me at least :D

10. I've had a daydream, if I had enough money I try to buy a Boeing 77W or 748i, decorate the main deck as an apartment and the cargo bay as a garage, then just live the airplane and fly from place to place with my cars. Probably not feasible though.

As for the "best"? Who knows, the Piaggio Avanti is pretty damn cool. [​IMG]

11. There is one of these that lands here every couple days. It's super loud. But so cool. You drive by the airport and it has such a cool presence.

12. I had the same idea turning a plane into a house, I drew a side profile on paint but it's on my computer in the uk so I can't post it.

13. How else are you going to let the peasants know you're coming?

DIGGS likes this.
  14. Btw, if you're really interested in this stuff, search for aircraft type and familiarization courses in your area. Civilian aircraft type and fami courses are generally available to anyone. Type courses cost quite a bit but you might be able to attend a fami course free of charge or for a nominal fee if you ask nicely.

That's the only way to get a general understanding of any aircraft's performance.

15. Is this flying simulators?

16. They are usually divided to a ground phase (both for mechanics and pilots) and a flight phase (for pilots only). Fami courses are like a lighter version of the ground phase and without an actual airplane.

SuperSonic likes this.
  17. I was surprised that you actually need quite expensive one to be able to fly Atlantic or Pasific distances. Which I think is a requirement. Also didnt realise these are more expensive than largest sail boats.

18. Our Cessna 172s average about 800-1000kms per tank of fuel. At 160-200$ per tank of fuel. And we usually burn through 2 full tanks per day when bringing in supplies and clients.
    This all depends on weather, load and altitudes.
    And maintenance costs are about 15-30k CAD per year.

We have 2 172 skyhawks, one DHC-3 Otter, one DHC-2 Beaver, one 208 Caravan, one Wilga 35h and a Wilga 2000 Hydro.

We also have two Helos
    An MD500E and an airbus AS350.

The Helos are insanely pricey to operate. So they are only used 1-2 days a week.

None of these can really get more than about 800-1000kms per tank of fuel.

19. They are. Planes like Falcons and Gulfstreams that have the necessary ETOPS requirements start form ~50 million upwards. Well-equipped business jets cost more than narrow-body jet airliners.

Also, if you want to go somewhere, you need a pilot and a co-pilot. They aren't cheap. Neither are the costs for landing on some airports.

Maintenance is expen$ive. Spare parts for jet aircraft are hilariously priced. They are often literally more expensive than their weight in gold. A screw can cost a hundred bucks. A hydraulic pump the size of your fist can be $50k. A tiny valve the size of a champagne bottle cork can cost 10 grand. Radios, altimeters, radars and other seemingly innocuous avionics boxes can cost as much as a nice house.

I can give you a few examples from Learjet 24 spares prices (Bombardier). It's a small and basic 70's plane and those are 2002 prices without taxes or delivery costs. Imagine today's prices for the equivalent components in modern 3-hour-ETOPS-capable glass cockpit business jets express-delivered to your maintenance base... **** it I don't even want to know.

So 70's POS Learjet spare prices:

-No-smoking sign: $1,021
    -Security camera: $28,000
    -Heading reference unit: $56,347
    -Fuel filter: $6,005
    -Windscreen: $83,540
    -MFD display: $125,824
    -TCAS processor: $148,708
    -Weather radar antenna: $72,300
    -Fuel quantity indicator (one of several): $29,421

This is why it's an industry requirement that mechanics develop exceptional swearing skills for the eventuality that a torque wrench slips and walls in the wrong location, for example.

20. Who is "we" in this case?

21. My family. We own two and and are building a third hunting and fishing lodge in northern british columbia. They are all fly in and fly out lodges. All of our planes are on floats.

22. *triggered*

#whiteprivilege

[​IMG]

Veyronman likes this.
  23. :(but I'm Canadian.....

24. Haha srsly how rich is your family?

25. I wouldn't say rich. We all still have to work everyday to pay our bills whether we work at the lodges or otherwise. But if we sold our lodges and all the assets we would probably all come out ahead.
    There is a huge amount of overhead. We've just gone from leasing to purchasing our aircraft in the past 5-10 years. So some of them are still financed.
    And we are constantly putting money into the lodges. Building new ones. Expanding. Buying new ones. We haven't taken a significant profit snice switching to purchasing the planes. We also have to replace our river boats every few years at about 75k per unit. And the outboard jet motors for them only last 2-3 seasons at a where from 15-30k each.
    It's more about the lifestyle than it is about getting rich..

And the newest fishing lodge we purchased cost a cold 1.75 million dollars. So that will take a few years to pay itself off.