Buying a Civic is a bad investment.

Discussion in '2002 Honda Civic Type-R' started by USRACING, Oct 6, 2002.

1. Re: Buying a Civic is a bad investment.

Y r u arguing with me so much? I'm on your side, I just don't think the Type-R is quuiiitttteee as good you say.

Anyway I've been told that alot of 340R owners are selling their 340R's (because the novelty of having a super quick and fun car is wearing off) and can be found for under $20,000 USD, I don't know this for sure, but if you check the 340R forum you'll see what I mean.

2. Re: Buying a Civic is a bad investment.

this is really stupid, i mean it's a fricken family car wether it's a bad investment or not it's a P.O.S civic. i don't know why u people are debating about a car that is made for everyday use. if u want a good investment buy a damn ferrari.

3. Re: Buying a Civic is a bad investment.

Correct me if I'm wrong but just because there is an R doesn't make the type r a sports car. I can't understand how everyone can say that cheap 'value' cars like civics can handle so well. Maybe on a parking lot course where larger sports cars have to battle more inertia to get through tight little turns, but on a road course? A vette has a huge contact patch with the ground with the sport tires on it as compared to the all seasons on a civic. The fwd on it probably gives it a ton of understeer as well. I can understand small cars like the Shelby Cobra, that were not only small and nimble, but pure bred race cars. However a civic is a different story. It is just an A to B economical, fuel efficient car that lately, all the 'cool' kids want to dress up. How can it possibly compare to a corvette or any other sports car in handling? Also, the C5 and the Zo6 have tons of torque to give lots of boost out of the corners that a tiny little type r can't possibly match.

4. Re: Buying a Civic is a bad investment.

First off, the Civic Type-R is light, nimble, and quick. Throttle lift off steering can easily eliminate understeer, as will a number of other tricks to driving a FWD. The weight distribution is better than the majority of cars in its class. Rack and Pinion with ATTS gives it very responsive steering, a sport tuned suspension makes it handle solidly. It certainly doesn't compare to a Z06 or C5 in performance because it's not meant to be a high performance sports car. It's a small passenger car that happens to be more a driver's car than the average daily driver.

Now, try taking a Z06 on your favourite logging road, then take a Type-R on it and tell me which you would prefer in a Rally race, that is what a real daily driver should be like. A Civic (Type-R) you can afford to bag and it handles the punishment well, it also offers reasonable performance.

Correct me if I'm wrong but when a small passenger car out accelerates some sports cars, then doesn't mean that its performance is pretty good for a daily driver?

5. Re: Buying a Civic is a bad investment.

"It certainly doesn't compare to a Z06 or C5 in performance because it's not meant to be a high performance sports car. "

-At least we can agree on something. I was replying to the person who thinks that badging like 'type r' adds performance. Not that this car can't handle well for what it is.

"Now, try taking a Z06 on your favourite logging road, then take a Type-R on it and tell me which you would prefer in a Rally race, that is what a real daily driver should be like"

-Now repeat on a road course and tell me what a real sports car should feel like.

"Correct me if I'm wrong but when a small passenger car out accelerates some sports cars, then doesn't mean that its performance is pretty good for a daily driver? "

-Of course it does. Which sport cars are you reffering to?

6. Re: Buying a Civic is a bad investment.

i don't know why u guys even bring up the ZO6 in a civic forums
    they are completely different cars.
    one is I4 FF with 200+HP
    one is V8 FR with 400+HP
    see the different......................

7. Re: Buying a Civic is a bad investment.

What a "real" sports car should feel like is not relevant to this thread, as a Civic, be it Type-R or otherwise, is not meant to be a sports car.

8. Re: Buying a Civic is a bad investment.

We didn't bring up the Z06, we were removing it from the discussion gently, and explaining where their place is, go back a few posts.

9. Re: Buying a Civic is a bad investment.

You are so retarded. Why would you take the vette on a logging road or on any "rally" inspired road, its not a freaking rally car moron.
    With that being said with the new suspention the 50th anniversery edition has it wouldn't be so bad.

10. Re: Buying a Civic is a bad investment.

that's my point and if you failed to gather that then I could never possibly be as retarded as you.

The point is that the Vette is NOT better than the Civic for everything, that's just the simplest example. And raise the vette, make a few mods and it would be "rally ready", yet it still wouldn't make as good a rally car as a Civic because of its dimensions, overall weight, and weight distribution.

11. Re: Buying a Civic is a bad investment.

Why the hell would you want to do a rally race with a Corvette ZO6? Are you a complete moron?

12. Re: Buying a Civic is a bad investment.

Good question, even though you completely missed his point. Score one for not reading!

13. Re: Buying a Civic is a bad investment.

This car is the ugliest civic i have ever seen, there is not 1 good hting about it. The cluth is on the dashboard. But you idiots compare it to the honda DX and the LX that you see in America. This car is quick as hell and would shit on all the cars you guys own

14. Re: Buying a Civic is a bad investment.

Is it just me, or is this post one big contradiction? First of all, the shift knob is the one on the center console. The clutch is where it always is, next to the other pedals. Now, first you say that there is nothing good about this Civic. Then you go on to say that it is very quick and "would shit on all the cars you guys own" (you're lucky amenasce isn't here, he'd probably have something to say about that). So which one is it? And who is comparing this to a DX or an LX?

15. Re: Buying a Civic is a bad investment.

A civic is a very reliable car, built fairly well, and is great for running errands and good gas milage. However i think the car sucks as far as comfort, and craftsmanship. I would never buy a civic, or any japanese made car for that matter. Also, the car needs to stay that way. People need to stop suping them up trying to make them faster than a V8 car. OK it could be possible, but what did you prove? That you can waste your money on a grocery getter to make it beat a stock performance car like a camaro or mustang? Come on, its small, cramped, noisy, and pointless. With money anything is possible, that being said, why not take the money that whoever spends on a damn civic and put it also into the camaro u wanna race, then see who wins, Point proven. Grocery getters need to stay grocery getters. And this is a bad example, its basically a factory suped up civic, which is in my book stupid. Civic bad investment? Personally i think yes, id rather get a 68 dodge dart with a slant 6 engine, very reliable car, and guess what, built a lot better. There used to be such a thing as Steel, and things built to actually last, not fall off after u open the door a few times. For some other people, that want the whole deal about buying a "new" car, then go ahead. Plan on replacing a lot of stuff as time goes by though.

16. Re: Buying a Civic is a bad investment.

itis the si

17. Re: Buying a Civic is a bad investment.

it is*

18. Re: Buying a Civic is a bad investment.

i think that you are wrong, buying a civic isn't a bad investment because it isnt a very expensive car and u can soupe it up good. and it would cost a lot more to buy a corvetter or an old muscle car than to buy a civic.

19. Re: Buying a Civic is a bad investment.

The Japanese Honda Civic Type-R is a very quick car, and it is very very different to the Civic Si. The Civic Si is known in Europe as the Civic Sport, and its a watered down TypeR. If you take a regular Si and supe it up thenyou might get near a TypeR