Chevrolet might be making a BIG mistake

Discussion in '2006 Lexus SC430 GT500' started by Ferrari Monkey, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Now I'm not going to say I don't like this car, because I really think that the retro lines look great, but, I don't like the outlook for this car. Of course there are going to be some people who really love this car and would buy one, but I think Chevrolet is going to have a tough time finding a lot of buyers. I think that the retro look is going to scare a lot of people away. This car will probably last only 1 production year, but then again, I could be totally mistaken. Give me some feedback about your opinions.<!-- Signature -->

2. Re: Chevrolet might be making a BIG mistake

I kinda like it. Looks like the classic trucks from the 30's.
    I think it will sell good.

If the PT cruiser was a hit, this'll be sold out.<!-- Signature -->

3. Re: Chevrolet might be making a BIG mistake

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from 94FORMULA</i>
    <b>I kinda like it. Looks like the classic trucks from the 30's.

If the PT cruiser was a hit, this'll be sold out.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->Yeah, the PT Cruiser is Crap, but the PT Convertible is Almost Cool.<!-- Signature -->

4. Re: Chevrolet might be making a BIG mistake

This is the worst truck i have ever seen. Most Retro lookin cars look like shit anyway. they can't come near the actual quality of a real old car. this shit needs to end, this and the PT cruiser suck

5. Re: Chevrolet might be making a BIG mistake

This picture of the SSR really doesn't do it justice. Its a much better looking car than the image makes it out to seem.

Anyways, the SSR is a limited production vehicle, and I doubt that it won't be able to sell as much as Chevy hopes. I've read a lot of reviews about the SSR, and I've read nothing but good things.

With 300HP on tap, I think this car will fill the gap the Camaro left behind very nicely. <!-- Signature -->

6. Re: Chevrolet might be making a BIG mistake

Damn. Chevy needs the Camaro back really bad...

7. Re: Chevrolet might be making a BIG mistake

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Grizz2K4</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from 94FORMULA</i>

If the PT cruiser was a hit, this'll be sold out.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->Yeah, the PT Cruiser is Crap, but the PT Convertible is Almost Cool.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

id say almost cool is pushing it

8. Re: Chevrolet might be making a BIG mistake

I think it looks dumb. I definetly think chevy is making a mistake. Does any one know the specs??? That might change my mind.

9. Re: Chevrolet might be making a BIG mistake

As far as the looks are concerned, I can't really say because I haven't seen one in person. Pictures never do a vehicle justice. But if GM is planning on producing this thing, it had better have some power since I doubt it is worth much as another compact truck. Where's the room? If anything, GM should use it to replace the S-10's ancient design. Then I'd be all for it.<!-- Signature -->

10. Re: Chevrolet might be making a BIG mistake

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from 94FORMULA</i>

If the PT cruiser was a hit, this'll be sold out.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

I see what you mean but, I think it'll do better off the roads and on blocks.<!-- Signature -->

11. Re: Chevrolet might be making a BIG mistake

i like it<!-- Signature -->

12. Re: Chevrolet might be making a BIG mistake

i like it too i dunno why ppl say it looks funny i mean it is but lookit all the other cars out there ppl are used to that normal box style trucks.... chevy is just tryin to open ure eyes and i think theyre doin a nice job here

13. Re: Chevrolet might be making a BIG mistake

With 300HP on tap, I think this car will fill the gap the Camaro left behind very nicely.

this is a truck, not a car

14. Re: Chevrolet might be making a BIG mistake

The SSR will sell to buyers on the same basis the Prowler sold. It is a retro-throwback hotrod that some people will ove, and some will hate. They will have no trouble making demand meet supply.

15. Re: Chevrolet might be making a BIG mistake

16. Re: Chevrolet might be making a BIG mistake

i couldn't have said it better my self dan!

17. Re: Chevrolet might be making a BIG mistake

Chevy will sell a few.

I will not be one to buy into this production hotrod thing.

Prowler sould have had a 300hp engine.

This thing should have the Silverado ss Concept 450 plus HP engine.

It is cool, it is powerful, it is mean, like the prowler though it could be much meaner.

18. Re: Chevrolet might be making a BIG mistake

Exactly! I think that Chevy is making a good decision in producing this. There has to have been enough support from the public to warrant a production run.

19. Re: Chevrolet might be making a BIG mistake

Not exactly, they may be in an unpublized crisis and they are hoping this will get them out of it. I know it took a lot of begging from major car magazines like Motor Trend and Autoweek to get Ford to produce the Ford GT.

20. Re: Chevrolet might be making a BIG mistake

There is no fact behind any of your speculations and I am not going to argue about it because you are obviously a die hard ford fan that will not give any credit to anything from Chevrolet (Ford's biggest rival) no matter how many facts I present to you so it's pointless to try.

21. Re: Chevrolet might be making a BIG mistake

RIVAL!?! Ha, more like a challenge to raise Ford's expectation lines which they more than surpassed with the invention of the 6.0L Power Stroke and the 2004 F-150s

22. Re: Chevrolet might be making a BIG mistake

I have to admit that I for some odd reason had yet to see either the '04 F-150 or the powerstroke diesel but I am very impressed with both of them. It's good to see that Ford has FINALLY redesigned the, in my opinion, rather feminin F-150 of past years and developed one beast of a diesel. I think that now that all three major truck companies are at the same level that they will now focus less on hp and torque and more on comfort and emission reduction. I have the Duramax diesel in my Silverado 2500hd and it is capable of towing or hauling just about anything so I think that the trucks right now are at there peak in terms of hauling power because there isn't really any need to keep increasing the numbers. Back on topic i still think that the SSR will seel just fine and I expect that more companies will come up with similar vehicles in the next few years.

23. Re: Chevrolet might be making a BIG mistake

I highly doubt it. The Dodge M80 wasn't produced for lack of intrest much like this. I believe this truck was designed and considered a financial desastor if not produced, so they produced it.

That move to make the F-150 not on steriods because there is a female market for truck sales also which Ford Hit exactly on the target. And remember the F-150 was the best selling tuck for all but 1 month in 2002. If you ask me, the Ford name sales cars. If they made the worst vehicle ever and it would sell like hot cakes just because it has the blue oval on it. Ford has all ready fixed their design for better comfort in future F-150, F-450, F-550, F-650, and F-750s andpossibly the F-250 and F-350. They interior is more car like than any other truck out their but it is definatly not a car on the outside.

24. Re: Chevrolet might be making a BIG mistake

ive always liked a truck to be truck like.... but yeah, back on subject *Hint Hint*

the SSR is really nice... in person, i never really liked it until i went to the auto show last month, i thought it was one of the coolest little trucks ive seen in a looooong time. bye the way has anyone herd much on the HHR and what its supossed to look like???

and about the PT cruiser... chevy probably wont sell 25% as many of these as the PT but the PT doesnt cost near 35K$... its in a class with no competitors so i think it should do good, theres a lot of fuss about it and in limited production there probably more likely be a shortage of them...

25. Re: Chevrolet might be making a BIG mistake

I do think that this SSR is a disaster like most of the other ideas from GM. It is like the EL Camino and the Ranchero which I think were both disasters. If you can't decide between a car and a truck then you should of never of been let on this website.