Chevy Corvette Grand Sport returns for 2010!

Discussion in 'American Cars' started by lucky strike, Apr 24, 2009.

1. 1) I love the ZR1...I own a 98 WS6 and love ALL Corvettes
    2) You're already on the computer, look up any of those references
    3) Be honest. If you were in the market for a 110K car, would you rather have a ZR1 or an off-lease Ferrari parked in the garage? Yeah I thought so.

2. LOL

3. Honestly, a ZR1...

4. me too. 360 modenas and older ferraris performance are eclipsed by a c6 corvette and cost alot to maintain

5. Performance is all that matters.

6. So you're telling me you'd rather drive a 10sec Pacer than an Enzo? It's bad when people lie, it's even worse when they lie to themselves.

7. Turn on the Sarcasm-O-Meter, doofus.

8. I'd totally take the ZR1. A lot faster car, rarer, probably will be more collectible, cheaper to maintain... AND I just don't like Ferrari's that much because I think they're overpriced BS. They're fine and dandy, but the badge just isn't worth it to me.

NOW, if we were talking F50 or F40... I'd go for those, because those are truly badass cars and their styling alone would make me want one over a Vette. But some BS F430 or whatever, GTFO.

9. The Ferrari is overrated? the difference in price is just because of the badge?

I love this editorial from just a month or so ago, from no other than the "USA #$%# YEAH!" MotorTrend Magazine:

The Asphalt Jungle: Corvette ZR1 -- What You Don't Get for Almost $120,000
    By Arthur St. Antoine

The new Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 is a Krakatoa eruption encased in aluminum and carbon fiber, so powerful, so fast, so impatient along any horizontal axis to warp your precious pink guttiwuts into tofu, you almost don't know whether to dash for the driver's seat or the men's room. Recently, the ZR1 took on the world's sports-car elite -- Ferrari 599 GTB, Porsche GT2, Nissan GT-R -- and leaves them all choking in the gaseous offal of its supercharged humiliation foundry.

Yet while the ZR1's capacity for reducing test gear to tears may earn it the mantle "King of the Hill," in most driving situations it's more like a precocious prince. Kings are august. Their rough edges have been honed away by fastidious breeding, seemingly limitless monetary support, and time passed in the most privileged of corridors. Moreover, true kings walk, act, and talk like kings. Thus, it's not without cause that the Ferrari and the Porsche command such kingly sums-especially in comparison with the brash bolide from Bowling Green. The driving experience they offer is simply unmatched by the ZR1.

Part of it lies in the driver interface. To board the Ferrari is to immerse oneself in the come-hither aroma of hides from bovines obviously fed a steady diet of tagliolini con funghi and Chanel No5. Your eyes transfix on voluptuous ellipses of carbon fiber, on aluminum pedals drilled into modern art pieces, on a Formula 1-bred steering wheel that costs as much as a good motorcycle. The Porsche is more formal, more starched-business shirt, but no less evocative. A mere touch of the Alcantara-wrapped wheel or shift lever fires the word "special" deep into your cerebellum. The sport seats restrain you like a wise mentor. Pieces fit as if the entire cabin were milled from a single billet of good taste.

In contrast, the ZR1's cockpit smells like a glue factory. The leather radiates a mass-production gloss. The steering wheel: plucked straight from a pedestrian Chevy Malibu. None of this diminishes the ZR1's prowess; it merely highlights that the 599 and the GT2 offer something more.

Other, more-intangible virtues surface when you take Ferrari or Porsche for a run. There is no denying (or escaping) the aristocratic exceptionalness of these cars. Their engines-the 599's naturally aspirated V-12, the GT2's turbocharged flat-six-crackle and effervesce from idle to redline. Never for a moment do you forget you're piloting a special machine. In comparison, the ZR1's V-8 (and the GT-R's turbo-six, for that matter) rises out of the ordinary only at full-bore. Like the most charismatic of movie idols, Ferrari and Porsche own whatever space they enter, whenever they enter it. The spotlight they perform under never switches off.

By now, the haters are undoubtedly reaching for their crayons. "St. Antoine you ignerent snob! The ZR1 blows those crappy Euro weenies out of the water!!" Ah, clearly, this crowd wishes to wade into profound discussions of empiricism and methodology. What, that is to say, is the definition of "better?" Is rock band A better than rock band B because it plays louder? Is one teacher better than another because he can speak more quickly?

The ZR1 deserves its spot at the top of this month's comparison. Its staggering performance results and huge price advantage (compared with the supercar elites) cannot be ignored. Given a free choice of keys for the weekend, though, almost all of you would bolt for the 599 or the GT2.

And I wouldn't blame you. The ZR1 is a sensationally fast car. The Ferrari and the Porsche are crowning achievements.

10. HAHA!

"The driving experience they offer is simply unmatched by the ZR1."

11. "In contrast, the ZR1's cockpit smells like a glue factory. The leather radiates a mass-production gloss. The steering wheel: plucked straight from a pedestrian Chevy Malibu. None of this diminishes the ZR1's prowess; it merely highlights that the 599 and the GT2 offer something more."
    harsh i'd say

12. I'd say:

THE TRUTH

13. As soon as the discussion turns to subjective criteria, the GT2 gets its ass kicked because of its Beetle styling. The Ferrari is another story but I'd rather have a 355 than a 599.

14. id take the corvette over any car in the world, in cluding farraris and lambos ect and ect, btw my post wasnt directed at you.

15. Perhaps. But half of that is subjective. Some people consider the stupid torque available at all times to be a nice part of the driving experience of some cars. However, I won't deny that the Ferrari probably has better steering feel or whatever. It damn well better since it's slower and costs twice as #$%#ing much! Same can be said for the interior. NO #$%#ING SHIT the Ferrari has a nicer interior. The Corvette doesn't try to have a #$%#ing interior like the Ferraris because it's not supposed to cost 200 thousand #$%#ing dollars.

That said, I would still take a ZR1. I'm just not that big a Ferrari fanboi. I certainly like them. They're great cars, OBVIOUSLY. However I think they're overpriced for the extras you get over a Vette, GTR, or even a Porsche. There are plenty of people who feel the same way. My customer who bought a ZR1 from me said he's had Ferraris, and Porsches and every other bloody expensive sports car... But there's just something he loves about Corvettes. And of course he just had to have the greatest Corvette ever, especially since it also happens to be about the fastest #$%#ing thing on the planet.

16. Don't let your..(cough) customer fool you. Most people trading in an exotic car are doing so to avoid expensive maintenance cost. NO Ferrari/Lamborghini owner wakes up and decides a Corvette is the way to go. My dad owned a 1970 Corvette with a supped up 454 in it, so growing up I had little respect for exotic cars. Then I drove one. A 1999 Lamborghini Diablo roadster which left me questioning if I really needed to buy a house. It's wasn't just a car, it was an experience. It would be like a Corvette owner trading down to a Cobalt SS reasoning that it offered more bang for the buck.

17. Actually, it would be nothing like that at all. A Cobalt SS cannot run with a Corvette. Corvettes can run with Ferraris and Lambos.

18. its not just about the steering feel or being faster or the interior for better of for worse. gt2's and 599's are the complete packages as performance cars. that's the editors point - they do everything effortlessly and the price matches.

19. The GT2 doesn't have the style of the 599. The 599 doesn't have the reliability of the GT2. Neither one has the performance or practicality of a ZR1. The ZR1's weaknesses have already been mentioned. None of these cars offer the complete package. They all have their strengths and weaknesses. In the ZR1's case it also has a much lower price.

20. just because a car does something effortlessly doesn't mean its the very best in that field. my point is the gt2 and 599 are consistently strong in all fields. you get what you pay for, spend little and get something exciting in certain areas, less so in others. or pay a lot and get something that does everything well - not saying this attitude is law but i wouldn't be typing this post if i didn't think it had some truth -.

some people are attracted to the bang for your buck, but like the editor says you get an experience with these cars others brands can't match that goes beyond stats and dollars. you just pay top dollar to enjoy it - same with any material possession in life.

21. "get something that does everything well"

Like gets beat by the ZR-1 in all performance aspects?

22. For performance cars, yes.

23. "are the complete packages"
    I'd say being out ran by a "low tech" pushrod with leaf springs isn't very complete.

24. I wasn't merely saying that these cars are imperfect. That would be an understatement. Ferraris aren't merely less reliable than Porsches, they're downright unreliable. None of these cars does everything well. None of them offer the complete package. It all depends on your priorities. Even though the ZR1 costs a fraction of the others it offers every day usability where the others don't. In terms of performance, of course they all have gobs of it but the ZR1 has a little more and many would argue that it also has the best exterior styling. It certainly doesn't have the prestige or pedigree of the other two but some see that as a plus. It has a middle class personality, kinda like a Harley Davidson.

25. Here's a thought: A Viper ACR is quicker, faster, corners harder, looks better, is more fuel efficient, AND cheaper. The Viper is America's only purpose-built exotic. Go to any type of track, anywhere, and a Viper will scare damn-near anyone running. No Corvette will ever command that type of respect, no matter what you do to it..ZR1..or put on it...GS.