Sale Title AUTOMOBILES DE COLLECTION LE MANS CLASSIC Location Paris Sale Date Jul 08, 2006 Estimate 90,000 - 120,000 Euros ASTON MARTIN MARK III Year: 1957 Chassis No. AM300/3/1342 Engine No. DBA968 Engine: six-cylinder, twin overhead camshafts, 2.922cc, 162bhp at 5.000rpm; Gearbox: four-speed manual; Suspension: front, independent coil springs, rear, independent with live axle and coil springs; Brakes: four wheel drum. Left hand drive Coachwork: Coupe, British racing green with red leather upholstery. Model History Aston Martin struggled to resume production following World War II and it was not until the company was acquired by the industrialist David Brown in 1947 that sufficient funds were made available to produce new models. David Brown also purchased the ailing Lagonda company which included access to a new double overhead camshaft engine that had been designed by W.O. Bentley. Bentley had been Lagonda's technical director since 1935. Having produced a few DB 1 models (the DB was in fact the initials of David Brown) based upon a pre-war design, the company turned to its new models. Developed in 1949 and announced in 1950, this new model the DB2, designed by Frank Feeley was a huge success. Initially with a 2.580cc version of the Lagonda engine, a new multi-tube chassis, and a highly aero-stylish coachwork the car was offered as either a closed coupe or drophead coupe. With its lightweight chassis and bodywork, the 105bhp engine gave the car a very spirited performance and many observers equated the Aston more to a competition car rather than a road car. Aston Martin did indeed become heavily involved in motor racing, which led to a higher powered Vantage engine being produced. A racing version of the DB2 performed well at Le Mans and won its class in the Mille Miglia. The company also went on to produce a range of specialized racing cars starting with the DB3. Introduced at the 1953 London Motor Show, the DB2/4 was designed as a slightly larger model which offered two occasional rear seats and much greater luggage space. The new coachwork featured a higher roof line giving more headroom, a large opening rear window, redesigned bumpers with over-riders, raised headlamps and a single piece windscreen. Once again the car was available in closed or open form. In 1957 Aston Marin introduced the refined DB MKIII, the Suffix 2/4 has been dropped, of which 551 cars were built. The engine was modified to 162 bhp and the exterior was changed trough the adoption of a DB3S-style grille, giving the car a more imposing look. The MKIII was faster than any of its predecessors, with an top speed up to 120 mph. Specific history This specific Aston Martin MKIII was first registered in France in June 1957 and is today presented in excellent overall condition with a mere 81.350 km from new. The car has had only two owners of which one was the very famous single-handed sailor from Monaco, Monnet de Cannes who owned the car until 1993. During a concours standard restoration at a later stage the body of the car was completely stripped down to bare metal, repainted in the current BRG colour and the car still remains in show condition. The nicely patinated original red leather interior shows no apparent cracks and has been matched with new beige carpets. Mechanically the car has been overhauled completely by the present owner a few weeks prior to the sale. After a major check up of the engine, gearbox and the clutch and a recent road test by a Christie's specialist the car performed faultlessly and is ready to be cherished at various rallies or concours events. The left hand drive specification, superb condition and colour combination make this Aston Martin a rare find, which deserves close inspection by interested parties.