Computer Help Needed

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by SirShiftAlot, Dec 18, 2004.

1. I just built this new computer and when I try to setup windows, I have to do the F6 thing to install the SATA drivers for my harddrive. But the Gigabyte GA-K8NS Ultra-939 motherboard CDROM has the files on it and I need to put them onto a floppy disk, but when I put the ones that the manual says onto the disk and hit enter to load them, it just goes back to the same message saying I need to insert floppy disk. Anyone know the right files needed or what the problem might be?

2. .inf with .dlls?

I really don't know.

3. Return it, and buy yourself a computer that works properly. Self-built units are garbage. "Woooo! My computer will consistently cause me hassles for the rest of its life, but thats OK because I save 200 bucks by building it myself!"

4. not true. My computer at home has been working pretty well for 3 straight years, and its built up from a old 1990's Pentium.
    If you buy the right parts and know how to install everything correctly, you shouldnt have a problem. Besides all that most computer problems are software and compatibility related anyway.

5. Well obviously there are exceptions to every rule. Your case is rare. Usually component systems suffer compatibility issues any time you try any new software/hardware upgrade.

6. You forgot to mention, you can buy twice the computer, and still save $200 by building your own.

My home computer is a 2.0 Ghz, 512 DDR RAM, 128MB GeForce 5600 video, with 60GB all for under $300, not to mention, all the DVD and CD-RW drives.

7. its been through 2 motherboards, new HDs, RAM upgrades, new monitors, peripherals...it was orignially a Quantex, which is now out of business, and Quantex was crap. Cheap, but crap, so we rebuilt it with less 3rd world peripherals and more quality stuff.
    A lot of times when we do have problems with it, its a virus, spyware, or a loose sound or videocard. these problems are easily fixed though.

8. Not true, building a decent spec computer yourself is rarely cheaper than buying a well spec'd machine from Dell, etc.

The difference is you get to choose exactly what goes inside it, rather than the mediocre components most big builders use.

As far as the problem with the floppy disk goes probided the name and file extensions are correct and you can see them in the file list when Windows shows you the contents of the floppy it might be corrupt files.

I've seen a few problem adding SCSI/RAID drivers to Windows setup and they can be slightly different each time.

The best thing to do is search Google (with your motherboard number - it might be Gigabyte specific or with your HDD model number as it might be HD specific) - there are loads of hardware forums and hundred of threads on these types of problems.

9. Maybe in the UK where your computer business is garbage and everything is costly. It amuses me when Dell charges you euro-bastards more for the same product that we get for far less in the US.

10. Install Windows to an ATA drive, then from there install the Gigabyte drivers. You can install Windows again, exept onto the S-ATA and/or RAID drives.

11. I've never had a single issue with my system. Had I bought a comperable rig, Aleinware, Falcon Northwest, and VooDoo all would have charged me over $5,000. So for me, it's more like saving three grand rather than $200.

Never a compatibility issue, not one error. And I've been swapping graphics cards, cases, CPU's, motherboards, audio cards, S-ATA drives, and ATA drives it's whole life.

Install the drivers, and OH MY GOD IT WORKS!@ Damn, I must be lucky.

12. Ok, so now that I've had 3 or 4 testimonials I guess I'll change my opinion, which is based on 6 years of computer tech support.

I really don't care about any of your stupid computers.

13. So working in tech support gives you a valid veiw of the issue? Wouldn't that mean you see just the people with problems? Out of how many people that buy computers piriod?

14. This computer is pretty much a parts built one. It used to crash all the time, but after being re-built this last time it's been pretty good.

15. No, because people with both component systems as well as brand name systems call in and of those callers, my experience has been that component systems tend to have at least twice as many compatibility issues as a real computer.

16. All of this technical computer talk makes my head spin.

17. And how many people do you supose are using custom builds compared to pre-built machines? To say you know custom build are faulty doesn't mean ass if you don't go outside, poll a couple houses, and see how many people own "DIY" computers compared to pre-builts. Which noone has time to do, so it doesn;t matter.

18. Now you're just being a nerd. Trust me, I know what I'm talking about.

And I'm also very happy that your computer works so excellently. How nice for you.

19. Mine too. Computers are shit.

20. Cool. Wanna be friends?

21. I'm barely competent enough with computers to surf the internet and do e-mail.

22. Will you rub my bum?

23. Will you rub my bum?

24. Enjoy it. Ignorance is bliss.

25. That's what friends are for.