Computer problems

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Archaeopteryx, Mar 8, 2009.

1. So I've gone on a spyware-holocaust recently to make my computer NOT run like shit.

So I installed all these supposedly good programs just now. Ad-aware, Driver Sweeper. I ran ad-aware a few times, spybot a few times, ccleaner a few times, and Driver Sweeper once. I didn't really understand what the #$%# the last one was doing, but I was told by a reputable newspaper that it was good.

So I shut my computer down (had to push and hold the button as it stopped doing anything at the "Shutting Down" screen just before it's supposed to shut down.

So I start it up again. It displays at 800X600, native resolution of this screen is 1280*something else. I've made it display 1024*768, but it's still #$%#ed up. And it's in Vista Aero mode.

What the #$%# went wrong and how do I correct this?

I hate computers.

2. system restore

why did you install like 50 programs, they will interfere with eachother.
    Use one reputable spyware scanner, and beware ccleaner, because it can #$%# siht up and it even tells you that and iirc it makes you do a recover file before it even starts.

just system restore to before you installed all that shit, pick one (1) good anti-sw program and run it, then restart, then run ccleaner

3. I can't open any of the Catalyst Control Center options from the Start Menu. I'm thinking this Driver Sweeper POS has wiped out my ATi display drivers. Why the #$%# would it do that and how do I revert back to how it was?

4. I only installed three or four programs. I uninstalled a whole bunch that came with the computer.

5. #6 The Boss, Mar 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
  6. Haha. Format option, didn't even think of that!

Nah, anyway, did a system restore. Going to uninstall that Driver Sweeper bullshit RIGHT NOW NOW. I can open my Catalyst Control Center again. All's well.

7. #8 Archaeopteryx, Mar 8, 2009
    Since nerds should be coming into this thread anyway:
    I've been having some troubles with my Zune mp3 player. I transfer files to it using the software (which is up to date). The transfer often stops midway through, or early on. I've had to endure the same problem with an external hard drive I used for a while (one without an A/V power thing, it took power through the USB port. The Zune does this also. Any ideas how to make it not draw power through the USB? More info in thread.

http://www.supercars.net/PitLane?viewThread=y&gID=4&fID=0&tID=172285

8. #9 Longshoremen, Mar 8, 2009
  9. spybot search and destroy and malwarebytes anti-malware are pretty good.

10. #11 henriksjostedt, Mar 8, 2009
    Using several different spyware scanners means you cover up the individual holes in each one, so there is a definite point to it. The easiest way of doing it, however, is to install Hitman Pro, which runs 4-5 different programs automatically for you.

http://www.techspot.com/downloads/1278-hitman-pro.html

11. #12 christofurr, Mar 8, 2009
  12. #13 henriksjostedt, Mar 8, 2009
    Maybe he doesn't want to turn into a sneaker fan?

13. VISTA IS THE PROBLEM