Cortina's Rule

Discussion in '1964 Lotus Cortina' started by TorqueBoy, Aug 10, 2002.

1. Re: Cortina's Rule

The Lotus Cortina is great fun to drive on a track. Especially in the wet, you can chuck them into corners literally flat out! Colin Chapman was a god amongst us mortal men!

2. The Lotus Cortina is a classic - fantastic looking car for its age, and a car that will never truly die.<!-- Signature -->

3. Re: Cortina's Rule

Take one average car, Add some Colin Chapman magic and Bang an instant classic in the form of the Lotus Cortina.

4. Re: Cortina's Rule

I'd like to drive one , just to know it makes.

5. I've got a 1963 Lotus Cortina and it is realy one of the greatest classic cars ever! 0-100 kph in 8 sec. Imagine that in 1963! Compare with a Fiat from the same age!!!<!-- Signature -->

6. Re: Cortina's Rule

did lotus steal the name "cortina" from ford or is it the other way around?

7. Re: Cortina's Rule

Ford Asked Lotus if they could built a racecar with the shell of the cortina! Thet imprived the suspension etc + the Lotus 1558ccm twincam engine and out come a superb racecar!
    <!-- Signature -->

8. Re: Cortina's Rule

i hate to tell you but ford used the cortina name before lotus

9. Re: Cortina's Rule

Well....Take a look what I wrote then!<!-- Signature -->

10. Re: Cortina's Rule

I would have never guessed this is a Lotus...goes to show you the evolution of the years of this great supercar company..I love this little car, the styling on it is ahead of it's time

11. Re: Cortina's Rule

You say you cant tell this is a lotus!! I understand you there! Because the shell is a Ford (it a stiffer shell though improved by Lotus, but that you cant see!!)! The engine, is Lotus + + +

12. Re: Cortina's Rule

The engine is a Lotus Twin Cam, based on the Ford X-flow block. The main difference (surprisingly..) being the head, but there are other differences too.

13. Re: Cortina's Rule

Acctually it's not based on a x-flow (711IM) block! It's based on a Cortina or pre-x-flow block a (701 block)!

14. Re: Cortina's Rule

Well, i was nearly right..
    I think you will agree that Lotus Twinks dont really compare with good old BDA's.

15. Re: Cortina's Rule

I agree! The BDA is a real masterpiece of a engine, but it's 10 years "newer" than the TwinCam. But the BDA is a damn nice engine!