could some body please tell me how a flat twin works?

Discussion in '1960 BMW 700 RS' started by Razzo, Aug 9, 2002.

1. plz no bull shit.....................if u know it, please tell me , if not , please dont bother

2. Re: could some body please tell me how a flat twin works?

I am almost positive that a flat twin works like a flat-6 seen in Porsches. I am almost certain that it is a 2 cylinder engine that is horizontally opposed. The beautiful part of this car is that the engine is half of a 1.5L 4cyl, and can still pull 105.6mph!!!! The displacement is oh, about 35 syringes (like the kind you get shots in at the doctor). Amazing!<!-- Signature -->

3. Re: could some body please tell me how a flat twin works?

Are you talking about a Flat Twin Turbo????
    I always wondered....<!-- Signature -->

4. Re: could some body please tell me how a flat twin works?

It's quite simple. It works in the same manner as any flat engine. Quite a couple cars use this system. Porche's and Subaru's being the notable users of this system these days.

A flat twin is no different, except for the use of only two cylinders. So you have two cylinders horizontally opposed. That's about all there is to it.

What's quite interesting to not is that BMW have also used a flat twin on most of their motorbikes.

Anyway... Now you know.

5. Re: could some body please tell me how a flat twin works?

Easy. Take a horizontal engine like in a Subaru or in a Porsche and just imagine it with two cyls instead of four or six. I have the model that BMW offers in their catalogue...a small replica of the engine they made. Trust me, that's it.<!-- Signature -->

6. Re: could some body please tell me how a flat twin works?

i think from flat twin u can guess how man cylenders it has quite comfortably, but hey ugly car but it goes quick for what it is.
    Later<!-- Signature -->

7. plz no bull shit.....................if u know it, please tell me , if not , please dont bother

8. Re: could some body please tell me how a flat twin works?

Actually, a Boxer engine used in a subaru, or a porsche is different from a horizontally opposed engine, like the flat twin. It is true that they are both similar, but in a boxer engine, opposing cylinders reach top dead center at the same time, while a horizontaly opposed engine is the opposite

9. #9 Senappi, Aug 5, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
  10. Re: could some body please tell me how a flat twin works?

you really are a moron aren't you?

11. Re: could some body please tell me how a flat twin works?

A boxer twin has both pistons in TDC or BDC at the same time, since it's a 4-stroke. Same thing with the two pistons in a Fiat 500 (it uses an inline 2). There are either both in TDC or in BDC. A 4 stroke 2 cilinder can't have one piston in TDC and the other in BDC because of balance reasons.