Couldn't you make your own for less?

Discussion in '2001 BMW M3 GTR' started by 4 the man, Aug 9, 2002.

1. I bet you could spend around 200 Grand on an M3 a body kit, racing tires, racing suspension, interior striping, interior work, and like an Ls1 or another alumiunum V8 or even the stock inline 6 (i've read about people that get 400 hp out of that easily). I think every team should have their own car, not some factory mass produced cookie cutter racer. It would just be better.<!-- Signature -->

2. Re: Couldn't you make your own for less?

my cousin owns a e-36 and he tried putting an M5 engine in it, it would fit and all but then the weight ratio gets f'd up and you need a new gearbox and new axles because of all the damn torque. But i read once where Dinan dropped a M5 engine into a e46 and used a old 7 series axle for the rear and put a M5 gear box in it. They said it was too much pressure on the frame, so more work would be needed. Thats probably why this bad boy costs $400,000. <!-- Signature -->

3. Re: Couldn't you make your own for less?

This is a Carbon Fibre car. No way anyone but a manufcturer could produce a chassis like this. Not a chance. You could soup up an M3 and maybe do aftermarket suspension, and get a little better than an M3 on the track, but you still would not have this. Look at the weight. The basic chassis of the M3 weighs about that much, let alone an M5 block.<!-- Signature -->

4. Re: Couldn't you make your own for less?

no you couldn't unless you happen to match the enginnering prowness of bmw which i dont think you could. anyways even with an M5 engine its heavier and not nearly as advanced as this. plus carbon fibre this car would cost a lot if you even tried to IMITATE it

5. Re: Couldn't you make your own for less?

this website should monitior its pages for idiots like u guys who think that u could make this car. first of all this car is a full out race car, the engine is a race engine, not a m5. this engine has restrictors on it which cut horsepower by 200 or so. everything is for racing. yes u can try to make something as powerful and looks the same but u could not beat this car on the track;

6. Re: Couldn't you make your own for less?

fellas, i hate to tell you, but you've been beaten to it. ever heard of the Hartge H10? its any 3-series (including the compacts) with the M5 engine stuffed under the bonnet. how's 0-100k in 4.7s and top speed of 300k/h? all yours for around $AU200,000. Bloody brilliant!

7. Re: Couldn't you make your own for less?

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from zac82</i>
    <b>fellas, i hate to tell you, but you've been beaten to it. ever heard of the Hartge H10? its any 3-series (including the compacts) with the M5 engine stuffed under the bonnet. how's 0-100k in 4.7s and top speed of 300k/h? all yours for around $AU200,000. Bloody brilliant!</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Actually its a pretty lame ass deal, its only slightly faster than a stock M3 and its a shitload more expensive, so you could go buy an M3 and with the rest of the money you would have left over you could modify the shit out of it and make waaaaaaaaaaaaay faster than the Hartge, plus with the I6 it will handle better (less push in the turns)

Dan

8. Re: Couldn't you make your own for less?

soup up an m3? there is like no way its already souped the #$%# up with the engine i mean its #$%#ing great. all u really shud do is lower it a lil, add new rims, (if ya want), add a spoiler, nos (maybe), and some clear side lights and ure ready to go. if u really wanna go all out u cud remove the seats and the interior and get it redone in some kinda really souped up way thats bout all u really could soup up in the car - the interior. to me, the outisde looks superior already!

9. Re: Couldn't you make your own for less?

man i never said you could exactly duplicate it. you could turbo this car...i've seen it down puts down around 400 hp.

10. Re: Couldn't you make your own for less?

I doubt it, this car is built by BMW to precision. You could attempt it but it would never be anywhere as good.<!-- Signature -->

11. Re: Couldn't you make your own for less?

BMW doesn't make huge leaps in performance with one certain car, if they can't make the current car good enough they start with a new one, i.e. new M3 compared to the last generation M3.

12. Re: Couldn't you make your own for less?

Modifing an M3 would just be dumb, BMW's best have spent decades getting as much performance out of the car as possible, even lowering it would probably just make it handle worse. And using forced induction on a pure bred NA engine doesn't ever really work to well, I've seen people try supercharging their S2000 and only get 10-15 more HP, hardly worth the $3K +<!-- Signature -->

13. Re: Couldn't you make your own for less?

I think the comptech super on the S2K nets well over 300bhp. But yeah, the M engine is pretty well desighned to be NA. I think there is always room for improvement. <!-- Signature -->

14. Re: Couldn't you make your own for less?

European cars aren't as versatile as japanese cars, they can't be modified so easily and perform at peak. European cars perform great without any modifications to it. especially BMW. don't ruin a good thing with aftermarket crap.

15. Re: Couldn't you make your own for less?

hell ya your right, who the hell wants a bloody car anyway

16. Re: Couldn't you make your own for less?

The German tuning company Nowack made a 490hp M5

17. Re: Couldn't you make your own for less?

What I meant with this forum is that with 470,000 you could build an M3 le mans car that could equal or better this factory racer. That would involve tuning the M3 and i sugested finding a good small block that could easily get around 4 or 5 hundred horsepower. THen strip the interior, put in a roll cage, a race seet, and a new cluster. Then reinforce the chasis, put on a better suspension and then put on a wide body kit, a wing and new racing slicks. NOw tell me if you agree with me or not that with the 470,000 dollars you could make a equal or better road racing M3.<!-- Signature -->

18. Re: Couldn't you make your own for less?

I simply cannot believe what some people say. The reason this car costs so much is because it is engineered to be a race car. You actually believe that some local idiot with a lot of money can build a car comprable to the m3 gtr that bmw has spent millions of dollars engineering, refining, and testing?
    I can guarentee you that every unnecessary piece on this car was removed, and that every remaining piece was examined to see if it could be made lighter or more aerodynamic, the price tag is high because of the engineering that went into the setup, not the physical pieces.<!-- Signature -->

19. Re: Couldn't you make your own for less?

u cudnt make this the total costs re 460k or more or something round that ya kno how much hours of work they did from just making the m3 turn into this v8 monster?

20. Re: Couldn't you make your own for less?

So you think you, personally, could make a better racing car than the entire BMW racing team, and do it with less money. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

21. Re: Couldn't you make your own for less?

of course you can't make an m3 better than the team, but you could get a lot more for your money if you were to do it yourself. just build on the engine and make it stronger, then slap a greddy 20G turbo on a 95 m3 and you've got over 400hp right there. you won't have the handling performance of this car, but it would still be better than any front wheel drive import, fiberglass panels would reduce weigh if you have a little extra money. One last thing, the e46 m3's are about 600lbs heavier than e36's, that's why i'd go for about a 95 that comes w/ 240hp and still has mid 5 0-60 times.

22. Re: Couldn't you make your own for less?

You people do know this thing comes with spare engine, tools, all the instructions you need, and probably more I can't think of.

23. Re: Couldn't you make your own for less?

Not really

24. Re: Couldn't you make your own for less?

well i am thinking it is bulit for the BMW team.

25. Re: Couldn't you make your own for less?

You CAN make one of these and still have about 7 grand left for NOS!