curious about both F40 and F50 *no kids, serious car ppl only*

Discussion in '1995 Ferrari F50' started by importguy, Sep 24, 2002.

1. Re: curious about both F40 and F50 *no kids, serious car ppl onl

Considering the F-40 is older and has a V8, compared to the newer F-50's V12, the F-40 does a pretty damn good job of keeping up to the F-50...a few years ago, I got to go to Italy with my parents, I went to a ferrari museum and I got to see three F-40's in immaculate condition, they were THE nicest cars I have ever seen, from then on the F-40 has been my favorite exotic...in my oppinion, the F-50 looks a little TOO exotic for my taste

2. Re: curious about both F40 and F50 *no kids, serious car ppl onl

you show your age, and why he put that. by saying no kids, he ment no stupid comments, or outrageous statements with profanity, and little content... or statements like the one you just said. for 15 youve got a foul mouth. try to show some maturity, that is what the author asked for. (read between the lines)

if you have to tell us how much you know then you probably dont know much.

btw when he said closed version im sure he meant a fixed roof, aka coupe, not hardtop convertable. the difference is that a hartop convertable doesnt have the benefits of the coupe. you just cant make a ht convert as good as you can make a coupe.

3. Re: curious about both F40 and F50 *no kids, serious car ppl onl

its true that there are a lot of things that are being speculated. but since none of us have driven them we would have to go off of what we have read in magazines.

also if renault won a few races, they still didnt win the season. ferrari did, which would say that when you include all aspects of the race, ferrari was faster for the whole season than renault, so the statement is still true. drivers arent perfect.

4. Re: curious about both F40 and F50 *no kids, serious car ppl onl

Its like saying: which is hotter, Pamela Anderson or Britney Spears?

5. Re: curious about both F40 and F50 *no kids, serious car ppl onl

Britney...
    and the F50.

6. Re: curious about both F40 and F50 *no kids, serious car ppl onl

The F50 was, and still is, a joke. It was supposed to be "a road going F1 car"! It is nothing like one, it`s a deeply stupid car in that way! It also needs a roof, supercars need the extra strength, also, without one they become more of a hairdressers car!

The F40 was a real mans supercar, it doesn`t have carpets, a stereo or air con, it was just a couple of seats, a steering wheel and a fantastic engine! It didn`t matter what it looked like, or if it was comfortable. It was and still is one of the greatest supercars ever built because a supercar was all it could ever be!

F40 is for those who appreciate driving a real raw super car!

F50 is for those who can`t get women without one!

7. Re: curious about both F40 and F50 *no kids, serious car ppl onl

8. Re: curious about both F40 and F50 *no kids, serious car ppl onl

and then i thought that was what every ferrari was for. why else would you spend so much more on a car that porshce makes with equal performance, more practicality, more reliability, and less money.

9. Re: curious about both F40 and F50 *no kids, serious car ppl onl

yeah.

10. Re: curious about both F40 and F50 *no kids, serious car ppl onl

Its even better on Project gotham racing

11. Re: curious about both F40 and F50 *no kids, serious car ppl onl

Ya full of shit mate the F40 has got a lot more torque than the F50

12. Re: curious about both F40 and F50 *no kids, serious car ppl onl

Who cares! They are GAMES! Not real!

13. Re: curious about both F40 and F50 *no kids, serious car ppl onl

well lets go for the looks first, the F40 looks way better than the F50 cause the lines are more masculin, but the F50 outperforms the F40 maybe not by a lot but due to the upcoming technology the F50 is equiped with better suspension, better brakes and better power regulation, its got all what technology has to offer

(remember this is only an opinion people r free to disagree)

14. Re: curious about both F40 and F50 *no kids, serious car ppl onl

Yeah I hear the F40 pumps out about 435 ft/lbs.

15. Re: curious about both F40 and F50 *no kids, serious car ppl onl

Performance wise, the F40 is faster!!! Style wise, I like the F50 just because its more rounded and flowing!!! I saw the F40 up close at a show and I thought the body was too boxy!!! That's only my personal opinion!!!

16. Re: curious about both F40 and F50 *no kids, serious car ppl onl

Looks don't matter, If I had either it would just look like a red blur going by...

17. Re: curious about both F40 and F50 *no kids, serious car ppl onl

Did you read the title of this thread before you posted, you moron?
    I'm not going to post the same 'go for character' argument that everyone else has posted, although it is quite valid.
    To those of you who are trying to argue which car is better looking, please stop it - there really is no point. Form follows function with these cars, although they are still both stunning to look at.
    To those of you who said that the F40 was based on Formula 1 - stop. It evolved from the 288 GTO Evoluzione, and was that based on F1 technology? (To you kids, that is a rhetorical question.) The F50 was. When they set out to build a car derived from F1 technology, that did not mean Formula 1 car with a body. It meant a reasonably practical car that gave a similar driving experience to an F1. Did they succeed in doing so? (Again kids, a rhetorical question.)
    So which do I think is the better car (not that my opinion matters that much)? While the F40 changed the rules, I think the F50 plays the game better.

18. Re: curious about both F40 and F50 *no kids, serious car ppl onl

I think that the F40 was a more stripped-down, essentials-only race car and that says something about the image that Ferrari was trying to create with this car. However, the F50 is the better of the two in terms of performance.

19. Re: curious about both F40 and F50 *no kids, serious car ppl onl

F40 definitely

Back in 1987 the F40 was arguably the first production car to top 200mph. I say arguably because the F40 also had a rival - the Porsche 959. In a straight line the porsche would get a headstart because of 4wd, but the ferrari would eat it above say 70mph or so. I remember when it came out it was like 'wow a car that does 200mph'. Its not a big deal nowadays (now there are e class mercs that do 212 mph) but then it definitely was. By the time the F50 came out we already had the diablo, the XJ220, mac f1 etc so it wasn't that much of a big deal. Now to justify my preference on just top speed is a bit silly.
    Other comparisons are power to weight 441 (f40) vs 424 (f50). There is also the way it looks. Its so much cleaner. The F50 is more striking but slightly ugly. The F40 looks alarmingly purposeful, taut and muscular yet delicate. Again the f40 compared to contemporaries in the 80s it was quite something and again the f50 although wild, looks slightly paler when compared to its contemporaries.

20. Re: curious about both F40 and F50 *no kids, serious car ppl onl

also the sight of an f40 on a racetrack when it is dark spitting fire from the back is quite something (Top Gear ferrari special a few years back). And of course seeing the real thing at a motorshow with security guards around stays in the mind of a car crazy 10 year old (this was in 1988 when the f40 was new).

21. Re: curious about both F40 and F50 *no kids, serious car ppl onl

The F40 is a whole lot better than the F50. The F40 is 21 year olds car while the F50 is for their mothers.

22. Re: curious about both F40 and F50 *no kids, serious car ppl onl

it depends what your racein on if its the dragstrip the f40 would win but if it was on lets say laguna seca or sebring the f50 would win
    it also depends onwhose driving it u would need drivers with the same amount of talent and skill

23. Re: curious about both F40 and F50 *no kids, serious car ppl onl

elf man, dont talk about what u dont know you #$%#ing idiot, they F50 is a better car, and fyi they did make a roadster version with a top on it, i hope you do ur homework before the next time you put your info on this site!

24. Re: curious about both F40 and F50 *no kids, serious car ppl onl

umm, n00b may I remind you there IS an F60! -but you are only on your 3rd post so I will give you more time to learn about supercars such as the F40 F50 and F60 and hopefully you will learn fast..

25. Re: curious about both F40 and F50 *no kids, serious car ppl onl

if I wanted to get my ass kicked in a classic Ferrari I would choose the '58 250TR V12..if I wanted to get my ass kicked in a modern classic Ferrari the F40 would win my preference, hands down. Due to it's unabashed power and racecar-like no compromise build, almost like the Italian version of the Cobra or the Viper..the F50 is great, now don't get me wrong, but the raw muscle and style and attitude of the F40 would take precedence..