Dagger GT: 2000bhp and 300mph

Discussion in 'American Cars' started by F50Fanatic, May 20, 2010.

1. I can haz roof?

2. #78 F50Fanatic, Jul 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    http://www.autoblog.com/2010/07/06/transtar-dagger-gt-is-a-2-000-hp-pipe-dream/

All right, so pipe dream might be a little strong – after all, the computer you're probably reading this post on was once a pipe dream less than a decade ago. But color us shocked at the number of supercar start-ups that have lately been claiming they're going to erase any thought of Michael Jackson when the word "Thriller!" pops up in conversation. Next in line we have Transtar Racing which, with little more than a template web site, stock photography and a few renderings is already "proud to introduce America's greatest, most powerful, world record-setting Supercar: the Dagger GT."

The supercar itself is a custom-designed, 3,000-pound two-seat roadster with a 2,000-horsepower engine. That powerplant would (will?) be the work of Tom Nelson, who builds a wide range of 1,000-plus hp mills for all manner of go-fast conveyances. With those specs and, we're guessing, some number crunching, Transtar has listed "calculated*" performance specs: 0-to-60 in 1.5 seconds, 0-to-60-to-0 in four seconds, 1/4-mile in 6.6 seconds at 204 mph, and a top speed of 314 miles-per-hour.

That isn't merely heady performance, that's fainty. But when it takes a Bugatti Veyron 16.4 Super Sport and its billions in product development and testing to set a land speed record of 267.81 mph, we'll need the entire Bonneville Salt Flats to swallow the Dagger GT's 314 mph claim. Oh, and the Transtar team boasts of a "No Risk Policy – No R&D" philosophy; since they're assembling parts that have already been proven in other applications, they don't need to spend ridiculous sums testing how they work together in the Dagger GT. That's for suckers, apparently.

We're not saying the Dagger GT won't ever exist. But we'll be visiting our great grandkids on Mars by the time a street-legal Dagger GT with a one-year/12,000-mile warranty for retail sale does 314 mph. (And yes, Transtar, that is a challenge...) While we wait, you can have a look at it in the gallery of high-res pics below.

3. People like this really piss me off. The only thing worse would be if investors fell for it.

4. #80 F50Fanatic, Jul 6, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    http://www.leftlanenews.com/transtar-dagger-gt.html

Appropriately trailing the launch of the Bugatti Veyron Super Sport but just a day, U.S.-based TranStar Racing has announced a new supercar that promises to dethrone the Super Sport as the world’s fastest production car.

The Veyron Super Sport’s 1,200 horsepower is nothing to snicker at, but TranStar claims its new Dagger GT produces an astonishing 2,000 horsepower – besting the Veyron Super Sport by a combined Corvette ZR1 and MINI Cooper S. The Dagger GT also claims to deliver an earth-shifting 2,000 lb-ft of torque.

That power is achieved via a twin-turbocharged 9.4L V8 built by Nelson Racing Engines, while on racing fuel. Switching to pump gas will drop the power to a more Earthly 1,300 horsepower. Shifting duties are handled by a custom built six-speed gearbox.

As you’d imagine with that level of power, performance is brisk. The run from zero-to-60 is said to take less than 1.5 seconds, with the car geared to reach a phenomenal top speed of 308mph. TranStar hasn’t divulged its secret to managing to plant as much as 2,000 horsepower to the ground for the almost unbelievable 1.5 second zero-to-60 time.

TransStar also failed to specify if the same vehicle setup -wheels, tires, aero package, etc – is used to achieve the optimal acceleration time as its 308 mile-per-hour claimed top speed – as the two feats would almost certainly require vastly different setups to accomplish.

Details are still a bit shaky but TranStar says it plans to begin production of the Dagger GT next year. Three variations of the Dagger GT will be available – a hardcore version for racing, a street legal version of the racer and a more luxury oriented GT-X. Just five units will be built by 2011 – with two allegedly already sold – with production ramping up to 10 units annually thereafter. Pricing isn’t cheap at $450,000, but the Dagger GT certainly undercuts the Bugatti Veyron.

5. Sell it in kit form.

7. Stop posting the same news article from different sources

8. Sell it in shit form.

AMIRITE?

9. Assuming they do pull it off (which they obviously wont), would anybody here feel comfortable driving a car capable of 300mph, coming from a company who's philosophy is "No Risk - No R&D"?

I would have thought performing no R&D was a pretty large risk.

10. lol i cant wait to see it crash in a turn

11. You will never get that satisfaction. It will never turn a wheel.

12. URRITE

13. SHUTUP ADRIAN

14. My bad.

15. *hugz*

17. Someone just #$%#ing release the Devon GTX.

18. sounds quite unrealistic,i would like to see some results from a prototype.

19. The rear end from straight on looks like two angry evil donald ducks yelling at each other.

The side and front shots look sick though. EL O EL at the specs.

20. Wow, I just heard of the Dagger and it had me a little shook up. Because I thought They were going to be the first 2000hp production car and beat me to market and that had my team scurrying.. LOL
    Til I read the stats: He may hit the 300MPH mark but it would be the most unsafe ride of a life time.. I think if he slows down a little the Dagger could be a cool car, but like the other guys said 300mph with a removable hard top, I'm sure that top would go bye bye at about 200mph.
    We have spent tons of money on engineering on a design that has everything to make a safe 260 or 265 mark. Once you incorporate downforce + drag = a 265MPH burnout. Thats why the bugatti has to get a new set of tires after 2 or 3 high speed runs.. Plus why would you make your price point so low.. $400,000 after spending almost 100 G in the drive train alone..
    Right now the Dagger equals. You without a helmet, sitting on a rocket with wheels and steering wheel trying to catch the road runner..

21. post your avatar in higher res plz

22. That's an awesome pic. Forgive me if I'm skeptical about the finished product looking that good.

23. Superbot this is our car. We will be officially announcing it on the 14th of March and at that time we will start taking Letters of Intent to Purchase so we can gauge the public interest.

SSSShhhhhh do tell anybody...