Daily ramblings

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by ETB4U, Dec 14, 2016.

?

I leik this thread;

1. Boobs

11 vote(s)
    61.1%
  2. Balls

8 vote(s)
    44.4%
  3. Butt

15 vote(s)
    83.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Government here says that everyone has more money every year, yet when i keep looking at my wallet it's the opposite. Fucking taxes going up every year, groceries getting more expensive etc.

2. The average Israeli earns 10,000 NIS a month and has to pay a good 1,500,000 NIS for an average apartment. That's like 13 years of salaries, given that we don't spend them on anything else.

3. More like you and I both have to figure out a way to prostitute ourselves on the street because someone writes a software that does your job and someone builds a robot that does mine. New jobs are being created, but at a much slower rate than old jobs are being lost.

4. Become an economic refugee and sneak into Mexico.
    Me and the fiancee may look into buying of house in a couple of years. It's crazy because a decent 1 bedroom apartment where you don't have to worry about getting robbed daily, that is about 30 minutes from the city center, is easily $900 a month. A two story 3 bedroom house in an upperclass neighborhood, about 45 minutes from city center, is around $700 a month. It's getting cheaper to own a decent home over a decent apartment over here. Granted there are perks to renting, like no property tax, no homeowner association fees, and having someone else fix broken shit.

5. My wife and i are gonna buy a house after the summer. I'm not looking forward to it.

6. Increasing income taxes as opposed to taxing capital gains, during an era of decreasing demand for labour and (consequently) diminishing incentives to work, is a good recipe for social unrest.

7. get married! 2 incomes 1 bedroom ;)

Veyronman likes this.
  8. Guess who owns the congressman? The guy who wants to protect his capital gains

9. I read an article yesterday that if you're a millionaire in San Fransisco you can be considered poor.

wtf

Veyronman likes this.
  10. Genuinely considered getting a BF just so my bills are cheaper so I could save money.

Not the best reason to want a relationship tbh.

11. Single adults earning less than $82,000/year in SF are considered low-income. That's a pretty good salary in my book. I read a story about a family with children living in a garage, both parents working full-time. Add to this the enormous cost of raising and educating children in the US, and we have made almost certain that the children of the poor will remain poor.

This isn't something based on an ideology of any kind; it's a fact that social mobility has stagnated/is decreasing in practically all OECD countries, the United States being often at the very end of various charts that illustrate social mobility, meaning that parents' wealth largely determine how wealthy/educated the offspring is going to be.

The United States may have been founded on the principles of meritocracy, but for the average working man, the notion that "you can achieve the American Dream if you try hard enough" seems to be less true in America than almost all other industrialised nations. Unless the 21st century American Dream means living in a dumpster with $300 000 of debt from medical bills, trying to inject oxy between your toes.

SEABEE likes this.
  12. SF and New York aren't close the norm.
    In Texas, $82, 000 a year will get you a nice house, nice car or two, and the latest cell phone. Sure, we have apartments that are $5,000 a year, but those are ridiculously fancy and near downtown. Hell, I was living on my own pretty comfortably on $35,000 when I was younger.

Also, I went from a phone rep, to a warehouse manager, to a business analyst simply because I tried (my degree wasn't in any of those fields). My fiancee is making more than me working for a widely known hospital and she graduated only a few years ago. We both come from poor families. Immigrants from Mexico and El Salvador to be exact. So, there are ways to make it. I think a big problem is the push to throw kids in debt to get a degree from a known university. I was one of those suckers, she wasn't. So, she makes more while I owe much more. There are inexpensive ways to get a degree, I just don't see high schools pushing that knowledge.
    Edit: and making sure every gender has a bathroom is a must for success.

13. why are people clamoring to come to NY and california and not to houston

14. Uh, Houston has a ton of people coming in. Oil and gas is huge.
    That being said, people also tend to be idiots. That's why they would do things like spend $2,000 a month to live in a garage. That speaks volumes about their ability to make rational decisions.

15. i dont really think that explains it

16. seems thats what 50% of people do tbh

Veyronman likes this.
  17. I have this fixation on needing to "do things with no help" and I think I just need to get over it, and get with the times.

18. I'm aware of this. I picked the Bay Area as an extreme example of what poorly managed housing policies can lead to in terms of living standards. The generally high health insurance and educational costs in the US apply in California, too, exacerbating the plight of the working man. Furthermore, thanks to news and media coverage, the US situation is relatively well-known to most, and more relatable than, say, Moldova. Any Western European examples could not be used because everything is so peachy here that we do not concern ourselves with mere pittances fit for labourers. Our automobiles run with wine and we use foie gras for sexual lubrication. **** you.

I brought the article up not because I have some urgent need to bash America, (that's what my constitution toilet paper is for), but because there are similar worrying trends all over the Western world. Since the 18th century, every generation could expect to be somewhat better off than the previous one, major wars and disasters being the exception to the rule. That hasn't been the case for a couple of decades, and in many countries we are seeing a decline in available income and purchasing power, especially when looking at younger adults. Finnish 30-year-olds in 2018 earn less than 30-year-olds in 2008. A few decades ago, 30-year-olds used to earn more than the national average, now it's the other way around. This is the case in every high-income country, pensioners generally being the only group that has higher disposable incomes than before.

Most high-income nations have based their policies on the assumption of infinite economic growth. I'm certainly no economist, but that seems rather improbable if one takes a look at demographic realities in the West combined to modest increases in productivity. A country piling on debt to pay existing debts and taking some extra debt to be able to fund the fatter pensions and healthcare costs of the ever-increasing elderly population, expecting those debts to be paid by the shrinking working population under an ever-increasing tax burden, is sadly not much of an exaggeration these days. I really cannot see how this could be sustainable.

Add to this increasing job insecurity, increasing costs of having children (we haven't made "enough" offspring for some time now, that's the root cause of the whole demographic issue), global megatrends such as automation and outsourcing of jobs, international corporations investing in real estate and jacking up housing prices by lobbying, increasing healthcare costs, decreasing social mobility, decreasing demand for "good" jobs, etc...

It's a cocktail of phenomena, none of which is that terrifying in itself, but the cumulative effects of which could wreak some havoc. None of the issues can be solved by taxation alone, and some of the issues are such that nation-states might lack the tools to influence them at all. In an ideal society, intelligent people could come together and try to develop some tools, but democracy doesn't work like that. I have yet to see a politician addressing a combination of these issues in an honest and rational manner. No wonder that the majority of my generation seems to be rather disillusioned with the decision-making process.

Instead I see plenty of rhetoric that could be from 1975, aimed to the great geriatric monolith that still bothers to vote because they grew up in an era where white was white and black was black. If you worked with chainsaws and wrenches, you were a member of the black party, if you worked with Xeroxes and clipboards, you were a member of the white party, end of discussion. There's also the occasional populist who likes to come up with extraordinarily simple "solutions" to complex problems, usually along the lines of "kill all jews/muslims/humans". Which is why the populist often thrives in opposition but craps out like a punctured balloon when actually given some responsibility. How any of this is helpful, I fail to see.

Globally speaking, being born in a middle-class family in a high-income country is not a terrible starting point, quite the opposite still. Globally, the percentage of people living in absolute poverty has decreased over time, and seems to continue to do so. The global economy is far from a mercantilistic zero-sum game, but it's likely that middle-class people in Lyon or Minneapolis facing worse prospect is to some extent a consequence of people in Manila or Chittagong facing better prospects. I can't really argue that being able to buy a nicer home/automobile would be more important than not dying of ebola while being eaten by starving rabies-infested sewer rats, but at the same time I'm not looking forward to competing against all of Dhaka's slums for jobs.

The middle class is not insignificant: The majority of us belong to it, it creates (and continues to, for a long time) the largest amount of tax revenue in any high-income country, it drives economic growth because it doesn't live hand-to-mouth but has something left after covering for basic needs (eat, poo, drink, ****, warm, tits, heroin). This creates new demand and drives innovation because the middle class can't afford to sit on their massive piles of ancient wealth acquired from Egyptian pharaohs, commanding plebs from their thrones of skulls to feed them peeled grapes and trust that all will be well. Hence, the middle class is a driving force of the economy, and one of the main reasons why our economies have grown so large to begin with. Any nation that lets an existing middle class die is not only shooting itself in the leg but in the asshole, too.

[​IMG]

To be able to urinate and defecate is quite essential to any person. Should I ever face bathroom signs such as these, I would undoubtedly be left confused and constipated:

[​IMG]

SEABEE and ETB4U like this.
  19. I'll wank you off once a fortnight, I won't look you in the eye while doing it, though.

SEABEE, ETB4U and Veyronman like this.
  20. SEABEE likes this.
  21. Find me a job in Houston so that I can live comfortably as well. $35k a year is right around what I make at the moment (after taxes) and I'm classic middle-class-couldn't-afford-a-family-or-a-house at the moment.

SEABEE likes this.
  22. Yeah, but ours run on Freedom!

Is that partially due to the fields they're going into? More people getting jobs at Starbucks after getting a Master's in Inuit Testicle Symmetry versus STEM careers may play a role.

Yeah I'm curious/nervous how this will play out in the next few decades. I think our schools need to play a better role in helping kids plan their future. Much more is needed than simply saying, "lulz your placement test said you'll be a good prostitute, good luck." Granted kids have also gotten shittier due to shitty parenting, so who wants to try hard to help fucktarded jack asses?

23. I got you, fam!
    Although, I think we're only looking for a Scrum Master and senior BA right now.