Daily ramblings

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by ETB4U, Dec 14, 2016.

?

I leik this thread;

1. Boobs

11 vote(s)
    61.1%
  2. Balls

8 vote(s)
    44.4%
  3. Butt

15 vote(s)
    83.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. PSA are giving them a run for their money, having acquired Opel/Vauxhall recently.

Peugeots, Citroens, and Vauxhalls? Dreadful.

2. Are there still bad cars? I feel like almost all cars are good these days. Except Chrysler small cars and sedans

by good I mean reliable safe transportation

The koreans used to be punching bags and now they are good. Ford and GM seem to have good reputations recently

3. lol tbh I've no idea. I'm just racist against Vauxhalls (being very much a Ford guy these days).

I think the sporty Peugeots are meant to be decent these days (after a decade-long stretch of pure drudgery, building cars for ancient people made from dust), but all anyone seems to buy these days are crossovers, and I hate every single one of them.

Citroen hasn't made an interesting car (to me) since the C6, and that was first one that made me look twice since they replaced the XM with the Xantia. I'm racking my brains to think of a more recent model that appealed to me but honestly, I'm drawing a blank.

4. Opel is to German auto industry what Astra is to German beer.

Reliable and relatively safe transport has been achieved decades ago, safety often being as much a matter of who's driving, how and where, as it's a matter of the vehicle in question.

I think the complaints are more about lack of steering feel, bad drivetrain, lack of refinement and low-quality (cost) suspension solutions. Why buy a slightly unreliable and an extremely unappealing small hatchback from Peugeot/Opel when better cars are available for a similar price? I have a strong suspicion that these brands are only alive because enough old people bought a Kadett or a 405 before the onset of long-lasting dementia that made them nearly unable to gather and process stimuli, making them buy cars from the only manufacturer they remember.

5. Since the PSA takeover, Vauxhall has taken to using a line in their marketing that makes me cringe.

"British brand since 1903" Ugh... Like, so what? Brexiters are probably frothing at the mouth at the opportunity to buy a BRITISH car built by BRITISH people in BRITAIN despite the fact that they were American owned and run for almost a century and now the French own it.

Good call on the steering/drivetrain/refinement/quality/etc. Particularly comparing Vauxhall and Ford, and having driven a number of similar vintage Vectras/Astras/Corsas and Mondeos/Focuses/Fiestas (even before I owned a Ford myself) it was blindingly obvious to me that the Fords always drove better, from the Mk1 Focus onwards. Maybe that's because I'm a car nerd and pay attention to handling and whatnot, but I can't imagine a world where someone would have test-driven a new Focus against a new Astra in 2003 and picked the Astra because they preferred the drive. The only reason to get a VX over a Ford is the finance is cheaper and you'd be able to buy 2 more packs of fags each month.

For ages Vauxhall had to throw free insurance for young drivers at their Corsa deals in the UK to convince people to get them, and as such they bought them in droves. Thousands of 19 year olds in brand new 1.2 Corsas, going all MAX POWER on them thinking they're hot hatches despite never having driven anything else. As you alluded to, it's highly likely that these people then stuck with the brand for no real reason other than them being cheaper than the competition, and that's all they wanted. All the yobs swapped to Astras, and the yobs who couldn't figure out how condoms worked had to swap for Zafiras. Then there's the stay-at-home-it's-not-a-pyramid-scheme-it's-multi-level-marketing-mums who all thought they needed a crossover when their crotch-goblin twins Neveah ("Heaven" backwards) and Klay (same as Rooney's sprog innit) came along, so bought Mokkas simply because they fell for the advert and "I dunno I had a Corsa and it was fine".

Ugh. Vauxhall.

HippoCrushEverything and ETB4U like this.
  6. haha is MAX POWER that douchey british tuner mag? God I forgot how terrible some of those magazines aimed at tuner shitboxes were

ETB4U likes this.
  7. Actually cars are getting more unreliable. A mercedes or a toyota for example were made to last. Nowadays it seems they use parts that don't last very long anymore. Probably to make more money on repairs i guess?

Oh and there's still unreliable cars out there. Range rovers, Fiats, Renaults, Alfa's, Jagkwarrr etc.

8. Yeah it was basically the zeitgeist for an entire era of car enthusiasm in the UK. People spending £30k modding their Citroen Saxos and Vauxhall Novas etc. It's dead now. People have slightly better taste these days I guess.

The yellow Renault 5 in the Ali G movie was a very well known Max Power car.

SEABEE likes this.
  9. I heard the Landcruiser is the last properly reliable Toyota as they're build to a 25 year service life instead of 10 years like everything else. Makes sense tbh but not sure how true it is

10. Perhaps due to the complexity of all the fancy features? One of my fuel pumps is driven by the exhaust cam which makes it fucking horrible to replace. The motor mounts are hydraulic and you have to remove AC lines to replace them. They're also $800 to replace. What's crazy is it's only because of the new motor. My previous Impala was the same body, and I could change my mounts in an hour and only cost $30.
    That being said, it's at 93k miles and haven't had any issues that weren't caused by me.
    Infiniti has a variable compression motor. I could only imagine the shit needed to replace that.

11. The location of some parts are stupid yeah. Even fuel filters sometimes are in the fueltank. Why.....

Also plastic parts instead of metal that will corrode. Plastic screws that will just break. Ugh.

Edit: I just remember my Seat. Sensor of the turbo was broken. It was inside the turbo. The whole turbo had to be replaced. What the flying ****.

12. The intake plenum/manifold on my car is plastic. They've been known to explode if you put too much boost through them. It's the ribbed bit at the front:

[​IMG]

Thankfully the aftermarket has a number of solutions made of metal that won't explode, but yeah... shouldn't really have to do that!

Baklava likes this.
  13. Sometimes it's more economical to scrap an old component than repair it. Maintaining a capacity to repair and overhaul components is expensive.

Some components we repair ourselvels, some we send overseas to be repaired, some are scrapped. It makes financial sense to send a $120 000 valve, a $85 000 starter or a $500 000 ECU to Collins Aerospace (Hamilton Sundstrand), Garrett or Honeywell to be repaired.

It makes less financial sense to repair a turbocharger worth a few hundred bucks, as the part may have a structural defect that would cause it to fail again in a very short time, and simply the cost of finding a replacement vehicle for a couple of weeks would exceed the cost of the component.

14. They really use that marketing line? A Honda or something might be more British than a Vauxhall. Not only were they owned by GM (now PSA), but the bulk of the design and engineering work has been done in Rüsselsheim for quite a while. I don't think the Corsa, Zafira or Mokka have ever been manufactured in the UK (Ruhr Valley, Aragonia, Kaliningrad, Belarus or Shanghai aren't under the Queen's rule), although Astras are still being built at the Ellesmere Port factory.

I dare not imagine the kind of audience this sort of marketing appeals to. You'd need the IQ of of a carrot to think that Vauxhall were somehow British.

Nissan, Honda and Toyota each manufacture way more vehicles in the UK than Vauxhall does. Honda has already closed a factory in the UK due to Brexit concerns, and Toyota is planning to leave the UK altogether. Nissan decided against building the X-trail in Sunderland (and they build 6 times more cars than Vauxhall does) after the Brexit news.

-More than 8 out of 10 passenger cars made in the United Kingdom are exported
    -51% of all exported UK-built cars were bought by customers in the European Union last year
    -The EU represents 85% of the UK’s passenger car imports by volume
    -Less than 4 out of 10 cars made in the EU27 are exported (38.3%), with roughly one third of total exports heading to the UK (or 12.4% of total production)

Now envision a no-deal Brexit, after which the UK can trade with the EU on the same terms as China, Bangladesh or #@%&ing Zimbabwe. It would hurt both parties but it doesn't take a genius to notice that the UK car manufacturer's situation seems more precarious.

What amazes me is the amount of politicians who behave as if the United Kingdom was in a position where it could simply dictate the Brexit terms (Norway and Switzerland are two non-EU states that are members of the single market, but the hardline Brexiters think they should have better terms than those two because arse twat crumpet, rule Britannia). It's perfectly doable to not be a part of the EU and still have access to the goodies. A state can even achieve such a position relatively easily without political crises and market instability but apparently it's not a desirable alternative to spreading falsehoods and populist foaming.

SEABEE likes this.
  15. The sensor should've been outside the turbo. They replaced it with one like that. It was a design flaw by VW

ETB4U likes this.
  16. you have such a way with words

17. Found out my knowledge of ohm's law helped out with my fiancee's pharmacology questions. Neat.

18. Happy Father's day to those of you with Satan spawn.

19. We had American visitors last weekend. Just for show, but I did see them arriving and leaving. Second photo has three generations of Finnish fighters, although the BF was a later variant with non original specs.

F-35_1.jpg DSC_3086.jpg

SEABEE and HippoCrushEverything like this.
  20. How did all of that Freedom feel?

21. American freedom made European freedoms look a bit old. The two planes were very sleek and clean, only bested by the Polish Orliks which were mirror quality clean.

I did find it funny how every contender for the next fighter had marketing present for an audience which will have nothing to say when it comes choosing time. To be honest the old Hornet still feels equal to these newer birds.

Orlik.
    DSC_2811_1280.jpg

22. And praise Allah for that. I'm sure the average granny from Pihtiputaa is well-versed with aeronautical engineering as well as the relevant strategic, tactical and operational aspects of modern air warfare. Not to mention all the details of the associated weapon systems and avionics, including the classified bits.

Well, some of the candidates such as the F-18E/F doesn't offer a massive leap forwards. Arguing in favour of the F-18C/D would be sort of moot because their production ended in 2000. An airframe or an engine only has so many hours it can fly.

Something like the Typhoon does everything a Hornet does (except arrested landings) but harder, better, faster, stronger. An F-35 is an entirely different approach to the problem of possibly severe navigation errors of those friendly Sukhoi pilots to the east.

23. We already got our f35. It's ugly as hell imo.

24. f18s still look cool as heck

saw a couple flying around san diego last week

25. Vacation! First half of my four week yearly vacation. I have lots to do at home and hope I get some repair done during this fortnight.

ETB4U likes this.