Docs set for mother-daughter womb transplant

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by CitroenSM, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Quote from thelocal.se;

Swedish docs set for mother-daughter womb transplant

Published: 13 Jun 11 16:40 CET

Doctors in Sweden are preparing to transplant the womb of a 56-year-old woman into her own daughter.

Surgeons are confident of success in what will be a groundbreaking operation on 25-year-old Sara Ottoson.

The woman, who lives and works in Stockholm was born without a uterus, as a result of the rare condition Mayer Rokitanksy Kuster Hauser (MRKH) syndrome, reports UK newspaper The Daily Telegraph.

Ottoson is hoping to have her own eggs fertilised using her boyfriend's sperm and then implanted into the womb she herself was carried in.

The woman’s mother, 56-year-old Eva Ottoson has agreed to become the first woman in the world to have her womb transplanted into her daughter.

"My daughter and I are both very rational people and we both think it's just a womb. She needs the womb and if I'm the best donor for her, well, go on. She needs it more than me. I've had two daughters so it's served me well," she told the newspaper.

Professor Mats Brännström of Gothenburg's Sahlgrenska University Hospital is set to lead the procedure, which he said is much more complex than transplanting a kidney, liver or heart.

In previous experiments led by Brännström, made a breakthrough last year when they successfully transplanted a womb from one rat to another. Several rats were involved in the trials and were later able to become pregnant.

However, a human womb transplant has only been attempted once previously, in 2000.

A 26-year-old woman received a womb from a 46-year-old but complications arose and 99 days later it had to be removed.

Nevertheless Sara Ottoson is confident of her chances.

"I'm a biology teacher and it's just an organ like any other organ. But my mum did ask me about this. She said, 'Isn't it weird? And my answer is no. I'm more worried that my mum is going to have a big operation," she told the Telegraph.

Last year researchers at Sahlgrenska Hospital in Gothenburg successfully transplanted a womb from one rat to another. Several rats were involved in the trials and were later able to become pregnant.

There will be no lack of attention to the Ottoson's operation, which could take place next spring if all goes to plan.

MRKH affects around one in 1,500 women and researchers estimate that there could be up to 10,000 women in Scandinavia alone who could stand to benefit from such transplants.

The Local/gm

2. Tell me once again about how they successfully transplanted a womb from one rat to another. Several rats were involved in the trials and were later able to become pregnant.

3. Hood Rats

4. next they can transplant your butt into my butt. i was only born with one butt.

5. beavis and butthead once transplanted a tattoo of a butt with a butt-shaped tattoo on it, and they transplanted it right on buttheads butt.

6. it does sound like something beavis and butthead would do.

7. that's going in the sig

8. wow grow up
    saving womens lives and shit and you're doing toilet humor

9. saving their lives? no.

allowing them to fulfill some ridiculous compulsion to create more retarded consumerist human babies? yup.

10. this is so crazy it just might work

11. Hopefully for the boyfriend, the 56-year old #$%# doesn't get transplanted too.

12. stfu

13. Stop trying to revert mother nature's decisions.

14. Second hand uterus, one lady owner

15. I only go for NIB. No thanks.

16. this thread is so funny

17. does it remind you of something the Waffen SS did when trying to clone the master race?

18. Maybe instead of a retarded consumerist baby she makes a nobel peace prize winner like hussein obsama

19. You should have asked that to your friend vwdrivervw, the one who had the totenköpfer waffen ss soliders in his avy and who loved the nazi regime.

20. It's making him more appreciative of his emotion chip.

21. Woah woah woah, Hold the #$%# on.

So the uterus she was inside and came out of, will now be inside of her?

22. She and her daughter will have come from the same outbox

23. this is all kinds of paradoxical madness.

24. stfu and spare me your lame crap