Don't ever settle for a crappy kit car.

Discussion in '1966 Shelby Cobra 427 S/C' started by F U C K, Nov 5, 2002.

1. Only 1011 ORIGINAL Shelby Cobras were ever built (289 and 427). Now it is easy to get a replica or kit car from Factory 5 Racing or something. DON'T EVER LOWER YOURSELF TO DOING THAT! Sure, the replicas can be just as fast, but they're nothing but counterfeits. Most are fiberglass (as opposed to aluminum) and they have several other tell-tale signs that they're shitty fakes. I just know that some idiot is going to say something stupid like "but most of us cannot afford an original". Well, don't disgrace the Cobra by buying a fake for a few thousand dollars! Have some integrity!

2. Re: Don't ever settle for a crappy kit car.

By your logic, Shelby disgraced his own cobra by selling replicas. These cars were made to be raced, and no one in their right mind would race a 500 000 USD collector's item that will keep on appreciating. SO, the only viable solution is to create replicas, doesn't sound so bad to me. I'd love a cobra built by Shelby or Superformance.

These replicas don't depreciate the value of the real cobras, nor do they claim to be original. I don't see where the real harm is, it just gives more people the chance to experience the greatest car on the planet

3. Re: Don't ever settle for a crappy kit car.

This car was a Kit Car to start off with!!

Shelby bought the bodies from British AC Racing and put ford engines in them. Its a very simple car. Practicaly homemade like a kit car.

It was never really an independent production car cause its a Frankenstein car built from other parts.

the current factory replicas are much better than the original thanks to current technology and quality.

for less than a corvette at twice the fun I'd say it is the best deal for a street legal racecar to buy from a reproducer such as excaliber.

4. Re: Don't ever settle for a crappy kit car.

I can't disagree with that! I like the idea of building one for less of the price and maybe getting better performance out of it! Best thing is you could modify and customize the car without feeling guilty that you've defaced a legend...a REAL Shelby Cobra! I'd love to see one of these things with a blower on it!

5. Re: Don't ever settle for a crappy kit car.

I'd say the Caterham R500 is the best deal for a street legal racecar, but they're completely different in function and intent, so no point comparing.

6. Re: Don't ever settle for a crappy kit car.

Shelby suggested to AC that they fit a Ford V8 engine in the AC Ace. AC designed the Cobra from this suggestion.

The Cobras now being sold by Shelby and a number of other builders are replicas. They are not very accurate replicas, because the rights to make real Cobras, as well as all the tools needed to do so, are still owned by AC.

The Cobra is, and always was, a British car. This is simply a fact.

7. Re: Don't ever settle for a crappy kit car.

Well..
    thats like saying u disgrace the music of the beatles by
    going to the cavern and play their music in their spirit.

if u build a replica u honer this wild and splendid animal!

8. Re: Don't ever settle for a crappy kit car.

That's exactly right. A replica Cobra is still a very good looking car, and a lot of them have excellent performance and handling (some of them, with modern chassis designs, have even better handling than the original in some ways.)

9. Re: Don't ever settle for a crappy kit car.

I happen to like the way the Cobra looks. I don't have the 300,000-600,000 dollars it would take to buy on original (or so Ive heard), therefore a kit is the only way I can go. Is this really wrong? Believe me the last thing I want to do is belittle the best and fastest street car ever built.

10. Re: Don't ever settle for a crappy kit car.

sounds like ur jeleous

11. Re: Don't ever settle for a crappy kit car.

The heart of the car is the motor, and the motor is AMerican, so the car IS AMERICAN!!!!!!

12. Re: Don't ever settle for a crappy kit car.

dude's right. besides, a car is a machine. it is meant to be used. it is wasted if it sits in a garage. Nothing is truly sacred, and in my opinion, nothing should be.

13. ERA in New Britain, CT builds a very nice Cobra replica (289 and 427). It is about as close to the original as one can get- it takes a very close inspection to determine that it is indeed a replica. The nice thing about having a replica is that you can experience driving the original without being nervous about putting on too many miles or wadding up a piece of history. Also, if you want to modify it a little bit, you're not mangling a piece of history.

14. You guys are mostly all retarded.

15. i absolutely agree, The orignal ac cobra was a kit car. Its a british kit with american power. I think that buying a replica honers the original car. Most people dont have half a million laying around to buy a car that they will just keep in the garage and never drive.
    ya spend $50,000 on a high performance replica, and youre not affraid to drive it like it was intended to be driven.

16. My dad has a 65 Shelby Cobra 427 from Superformance (awsome car) . And i'm sure neither my dad nor famous race car driver, Denis Olthoff (the person my dad got the Cobra from) would say that buying a replica would be "disgracing" the Cobra. I see no problem in buying a replica.

17. Were you born an asshole or did you have to go to some kinda special school?

18. Were you born an asshole or did you have to go to some kinda special school?