DSLR Macro lenses (second hand, Adorama)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by SL King, Feb 12, 2011.

1. #1 SL King, Feb 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    So I need to get a DSLR with a macro lens for Uni. I'll need to take good detailed shots of things about 1cm and smaller and sometimes as large as 5cm.

I'm going with Canon and I will need a ring flash (MR-14EX) as well.
    One mate of mine suggested getting everything second hand one from http://www.adorama.com - he has bought from them before with no problems.

So what do you all think?
    Is it worth getting a second hand lens, or should I get a new lens and second hand body/ring flash? I can get a 40D for just over US $500..
    What is a good starter lens to get?

Are there any other second hand sites that are good for buying used photographic equipment?

2. Just ghetto-fresh the shit out of it. Its fun as hell. Reversing ring and make a ring flash out of cardboard and tin foil. Like a boss.

3. There's nothing at all with buying lenses secondhand. I think in the last 5 years I've only bought one new lens.
    Adorama's OK, as is B&H. Personally I prefer KEH.com, but try all 3 and see what you come up with.

4. #4 christofurr, Feb 12, 2011
  5. #5 christofurr, Feb 12, 2011
  6. 40D is fine

MR-14EX is fine, although it's only designed to attach to certain Canon macros. There needs to be adapter rings fitted so they fit on smaller lens bayonet fittings. There are lots of cheaper options out there

Lenses: Tamron 90mm f2.8 is a very good lens and much cheaper than the Canon version. Canon does a 100mm 2.8 which a a bit pricey. Both of these do 1:1, which means that the image projected onto the sensor is the same size as the object. At 1:1 an area equal to the sensor size fills the frame...on Canon APS-C that area is 22.2 x 14.8 mm. Of course, moving further away reduces magnification.

Adorama is the best site for second hand stuff.

7. #7 Bugatti4evr, Feb 12, 2011
    That lens you posted does 1-5X magnification, which is overkill for what he needs to do. It's also useless for objects in the 2cm-5cm range which he needs to shoot.

Edit: http://www.adorama.com/TM9028NEOS.html

8. reversing ring or extension tubes on a 50mm prime always worked well for me

9. #9 numbers, Feb 12, 2011
    Your penis

10. #10 christofurr, Feb 12, 2011
  11. #11 SL King, Feb 12, 2011
    Thanks guys, Uni does have one but it's for the whole department and I basically will need to get my own. I'll still be able to use it once I finish; I plan on using it to document every patient I see. I originally budgeted for a new 5D Mk2 with all the nice lenses and flashes etc and was prepared to spend $5-7k or so, but this option of getting second hand gear which is just as good (I don't actually *need* high end equipment) is quite appealing.

Does the Tamron lens you linked to fit the MR-14EX ring flash? I see that the MR-14EX is compatible with EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro lenses but not 90mm...

I also can't find the MR-14EX on any of the websites, I'll probably get it from ebay:
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Canon-MR-14EX-Macro-Ring-Lite-Light-Flash-MR14EX-/130483981478?pt=AU_Cameras_Photographic_Accessories&hash=item1e61738ca6

$535 is a lot better than $935 from an Australian online store:

http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/category873_1.htm#346

Although I just came across it for $488:
    http://www.dwidigitalcameras.com.au/store/product.asp?idProduct=305

So basically I shouldn't want to get a macro lens with zoom, just one with a fixed focal length so all I can do is adjust the focus. But then won't that determine how far away I have to stand whilst shooting? (ie. can't get too close) The main reason I'm getting this is for me to take pictures of the inside of teeth.. hence detail in objects 1cm or smaller and occasionally a few at a time - so up to 5cm.

I know quite little about photography, just the basics - if that, so please forgive me if these questions are too basic!

12. Third party TTL EOS ring flash are around $200-500 depending on the model and the canon 60mm macro is $400-600 depending if you mind an unofficial imported one or not. There's not much reason to spend any more for longer or more expensive lenses for what you are doing.

13. #13 Veyronman, Feb 12, 2011
    you don't need/want to be SUPER close up when you're doing macro work really. all these point and shoot cameras with 1cm focusing distances aren't very useful.

having a good amount of space between the subject and your lens means that you have a lot more room to work and it would help you to control light sources much more accurately; especially if you're doing available light work.

14. Oh, so what is the advantage of a longer lens? (100mm vs 60mm)

15. Working distance.
    A longer lens allows you to achieve the same magnification from further away. It may sound counter-intuitive for macro, but being further away is better because it frees up positioning of artificial light (which is pretty much vital).

16. Not only positioning of artificial light but it also gets this big black tube full of glass further away so it doesn't potentially cast a shadow.

17. Especially when the subject is in someone's mouth, shoving a lens in there is probably not pleasant.

18. Thanks.. so with the lenses, should I be going for an auto or manual focus? Are the lenses for EOS digital bodies compatible for EOS film bodies? Not sure if I'm searching for the right ones, I don't want to be looking for film lenses when I want to get one for a digital body.

19. EF lenses work on all EOS cameras. The only issue is EF-S lenses, which don't work properly on full frame or film cameras.
    The Tamron 90mm and the 100mm Canon are both capable of working on all bodies. The body you've chosen can take EF-S lenses, so there's no reason to worry about that at the moment.

Most lenses are autofocus, but macro lenses are often designed to be used with manual focus (bigger focussing ring and better feel), as proper focus in macro is essential because depth of field is so small.

20. #20 SL King, Feb 13, 2011
    OK so I went to a photography store and had a chat with the guy there, he basically said for me not to go with the MR-14EX ring flash and get a standard Canon 580 EXII flash and get a ring flash adapter that "clips" on, ie.
    http://www.digitalfunstuff.com.au/prod416.htm

The reasons he said were price (MR-14EX retails here for about $1000, compared to the suggested two for about $830) and the strength of the flash (rating 58 vs 14).

What do you guys think? Is the 580 EXII too much for very close up macro photography? Kinda like is there such a thing as too much light...

21. #21 lizardmech, Feb 13, 2011
    Terrible idea, as I already said you can buy a generic EOS TTL ring flash and canon 60mm macro lens for less than that.

22. You'll lose a ton of light in that thing but it'll be fine. Get a 580EX or even 550EX though, they're way cheaper. Also, $300 seems like a lot for that ringflash thingy...

Why not just build a lightbox? They make stuff look better than a ringflash anyway. Use the money you saved to upg to a 5D mkI and 100/2.8 macro.

23. Can you link me to a generic EOS TTL ring flash?
    Either I'm not looking in the right place or not searching for the right term...

24. Why would you get a full frame camera for Macro, you're essentially throwing away magnification and working distance by using a bigger sensor?

25. #25 lizardmech, Feb 14, 2011