Ecclestone blasts Hamilton critics

Discussion in 'Motorsports' started by CitroenSM, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Quote from espnf1.com;

Ecclestone blasts Hamilton critics
    ESPNF1 Staff
    June 16, 2011

Bernie Ecclestone has defended Lewis Hamilton's recent driving, saying "what we want is people racing" and likening his style to Ayrton Senna.

Hamilton has come in for criticism following incidents in the last two grands prix. In Monaco he was given a drive-through penalty for a collision with Felipe Massa before being retrospectively penalised for later contact with Pastor Maldonado. In Canada an early tap on Mark Webber was followed by a coming together with his McLaren team-mate Jenson Button, causing his own retirement although Button recovered to brilliantly win the race.

Ecclestone told the Independent that Hamilton has actually been driving well, and is delivering a style of racing that the fans want to see.

"People have been wrong to rubbish Lewis," Ecclestone said. "What we want is people racing, and all the people who watch it want that. If you analyse what's been happening and how other drivers have been performing, Lewis shows up very well, and so do Sebastian [Vettel] and Jenson [Button]. So let him race. That's what people like him do. I was very, very good friends with [Ayrton] Senna, and if you look at what he did, he was a racer too, and people had to move over for him.

Ecclestone also said that Hamilton is not the only driver to be involved in incidents at each race, but that those occurring away from the front are not being analysed to the same extent.

"Perhaps Lewis has made one or two questionable moves, but so have many of the others, and nobody bothers to look what's happening further down the field. It's always been like this. We saw a lot of people racing in Canada on Sunday, and Jenson did a super job. That's what the fans want to see."

2. If that senile retard approves of his actions, you know how bad it is.

3. I'm with bernie on this one

4. yeah me too, finally I can say I agree with the old crackpot

5. what is hooning? ken block uses it a lot too

6. seeing the incidents again they were purely racing incidents caused by lack of visibility. if you have ever tried racing anything exposed to air and rain, it's insanely difficult to see and judge accordingly. yes he tried two passes and had 2 incidents, as Bernie said Lewis was racing. he didn't dive bomb, he had half a car length or more on Webber, and Jenson just plainly took his normal line while Hamilton got a huge drive out of the chicane and wanted to capitalize. Webber Hamilton and Jenson are not malicious drivers whatsoever, so I can't see why people instantly jump the gun and blame Lewis as he was going for passes. "If you are no longer going for a gap that exists, you are no longer a racing driver."

7. Rossi after the famous battle with Sete Gibernau at Jerez: 'It was a hard overtake,' he said. 'For sure Sete is angry. But this is the races.'

8. beautiful. agree 100%.

9. He's a senile old piece of shit, but he's got a point here.

10. Inside line needs defending, no one owns it. If Lewis is already half a car length alongside you, the fact that he doesn't yield this year means that you should seriously consider yielding instead. Jenson is a safer driver to be half alongside. You see Lewis though, recalculate your decision to cut tight inside.

11. #13 The Drift God, Jun 18, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    This reminds me of someone...

http://youtu.be/aNmqn3heGgE

13. As much as I hate Ecclestone, he does have a point.

14. For once I can agree with bernie. I hope these bad calls don't discourage LH from driving like a real racer.

15. Bernie does have a point, his style of driving is exciting to watch and a draw card for F1.
    However, I don't think that his actions are justified, particularly when he ruins someone else's race by pushing them off the race track or damaging their car. Other drivers this season have shown exceptional skill in overtaking, without the carnage that Lewis has caused by being just a little bit impatient.

Penalising him for his actions would be a bit draconian, although I do think he needs to change his attitude from having the expectation that other drivers should leave a big open gap for him to dive bomb, and blame them when it doesn't work.

16. Lewis Hamilton... more like Lewis Ramilton...hur hur hur hur ... nah I'm with Bernie on this one too. (for once)

17. CitroenSM, do you have an idea for the next PC?

18. I agree with Bernie, but I also agree, even though I'm a huge Hamilton fan, that he needs a little more patience right now. Canada was just bad luck with the racing incidents