Encroach on Corvette top of the charts?

Discussion in '2005 Pontiac GTO' started by HyoCTaNe, Nov 5, 2004.

1. With this much power, wouldn't this car kind of take away some of the pizzazz of the Corvette?

I'm sure it wouldn't cannabalize sales of the Corvette, but definately the aura and price to power ratio.

Craig

2. maybe a ltittle, especially in like you said price to power. too heavy and not sport orienteted to really compete with the corvette. but it should help sales, and help people look at gm.

are the hood scoops optional on production?

3. No they are standard

4. any chicks here? 22/m/oh with pics

5. yea, this car is in a different segment of the market from the vette...

6. This car is meant to target the Vette demographic. The problem is that it's too soft, too much money, and too bland. There's a lot out there in the price range. It's nice, but definitely not a segment leader.

If Pontiac really wants to 'drive excitement', what they need is for the Solstice to outperform the MazdaSpeed Miata at a $5,000 discount.

7. car weighs a ton when compared to the vette.

8. Go (try to) find a date somewhere else

9. IM ACTUALLY GLAD THAT PONTIAC DECIDED TO FOCUS ON PERFORMANCE FOR THE 05 UPDATE, BUT NOT FOR NOTHING THIS IS THE MOST BLAND CAR IVE EVER SEEN. PONTIAC DOESNT HAVE GOOD CARS, ITS JUST KNOWN, BUT FOR ONCE THEY CATCH A BREAK AN RECIEVE A CAR WITH A 400 HORSEPOWER CORVETTE ENGINE, AN INTERIOR THAT PONTIAC WOULDNT EVEN BE ABLE TO DREAM OF MAKING(WE ALL KNOW ABOUT PONTIAC FIT AN FINISH) AND YET THEY STIL FAIL TO EVEN ADD EXCITEMENT TO THE DESIGN OF A CAR THAT HOLD ONE OF THE GREATEST NAME PLATES THAT THE COMPANY HAS EVER HAD

10. turn off caps lock

11. 21/f/oh

pm for pix

12. first off caps off, second i think the gto will take some of the corvette market because some of the vette fans used to be gto fans before gm stopped making it. now that its back i think some of those people will go back to the GTO.

13. ya know i have never really liked GTO's. The 67's and such were pretty cool, but my god what was GM thinking producing this. I mean seriously, if i was a GTO fan i would be po'd. I read an article talking about the fact that the GTO sales are dismal. Dealers and the general public are not taking to the styling. I will admit that it is a decent looking car, but it is not deserving of the GTO badge. Considering that Bob Lutz is in this company it amazes me that this car went through. And just like the SSR it's overpriced. And unfortunately they priced it right in the range of the 2003/2004 Cobra which wiped the road with it. When the new Cobra comes out it is predicted to have over 400 hp and it will be priced the same. I'm glad to see the GTO is back, but not in the package that it's in.

14. well the ram air concept is hot, but few of those improvements will be made available on the 05 model. too bad, cause that car looks mean and fast. this looks like any other pontiac. its a bit overpriced and for the cash id take a g35 coupe over it even though its slower. but by comparing this to the vette and cobra, its liek apples, oranges and grapes. doesnt work, the cobra is a modded version of an entry level sporty car. the vette is a balls out sports car by definition and design, and the GTO is a grand touring car meant to be nice and fast but comfy and pleasent. and fast it is, i got to drive an 04 and its got some power, with a very well designed suspension to boot.

15. Australia should never have let America get their hands on the Monaro, they just made it ugly. I think that the VZ Monaro looks way better than the GTO even if it still only has the Gen III, and HSV's coupe is #$%#en tough

16. I agree that the vette comparison is not the best because they are in quite a different league. Unfortunately the cobra comparison is quite justified. The cobra may be a modded version of the mustang, but it still comes out of Ford's performance division. And like the GTO it is made to be comfortable and fast. They are also priced in the same range. All of this combined makes both cars right in the same league.

17. well my problem wiht the cobra vs gto comparo is that the old f-bodies were the competition for the mustangs and cobras (saw a comapro between a cobra and camaro SS, which i think is BS cause obivously the cobra will win, but at a higher sticker), where as the gto is targeted at more the japanese and euro mid-luxury coupes

18. The cobra camaro ss comparison is just fine. They are (or were) direct competitors. There really isn't a price difference worth noting between either of them. Now if you don't want to compare cobra and GTO then that's fine. We'll compare the new Mustang GT to it. Which i do beleive just recently has been tested to have higher performance (in all areas) than the GTO for less money.

19. Seeing as how everyone "hates" the new GTO, it has allready been slated for a "MAJOR" redesign in 2007, porbably going with the retrofuturistic styling of the '65-'68 GTOs of yore.

That said, styling of the origional 1964 Pontiac Tempest "GTO" was very bland, if anything, boring...Much like the car we have now. Personally, I like the current '05 look, with the sport appearence package...Kinda like a poor-man's CLK, that will keep up with a CLK 55.

Either way, the GTO is GM's only way to fight off Mustang sales, and it is not doing a good job. I was raised in a GM/Mopar family, and driving a Ford takes you out of it...Sadly, I really want a new Mustang, it has pulled some serious cords in this 18 y.o.

So here is my idea: Chevrolet needs to A) Bring back the Camaro, on the current CTS platform or the new Zeta platform and make it cheap...Live rear axle, a wide choise of engines, only 4L65E or Tremec T-5 transmissions, but make the styling and interior space like the origional '67 to '69 Camaros...Baisicly, copy the '05 Mustang, just with Chevrolet parts. B) Take the GTO, strip it of everything that it has, and build a sedan and a coupe versions...Call it the Chevelle. Using that same and having a similar design will be instant sales, but it has to be priced right...And that is what GM has been doing wrong the whole time, thats what killed the Camaro. If they could push Camaros out the door for $28K fully loaded, and Chevelles for no more than $35K, they would be in like flinn.