Engine Beats the current C5 corvete's with 60's technlogy

Discussion in '1970 Ferrari 365 GTB/4 Daytona' started by lotus87, Aug 10, 2002.

1. 4.4 Litre V12 vs. 5.7 Litre V8: V12 has 8 more horse power with an engine developed over 30 years ago.<!-- Signature -->

2. Re: Engine Beats the current C5 corvete's with 60's technlogy

Yeah, but the C5 is a certified Low Emissions Vehicle. I doubt this car would pass the pollution and noise standards of today.

3. Re: Engine Beats the current C5 corvete's with 60's technlogy

ok so it might have more horse power but the corvette has faster acceleration and top speed. Plus this things gotta breakdown every other second.

4. Re: Engine Beats the current C5 corvete's with 60's technlogy

Anyone who even knows a little bit about how engines really work would know that horsepower is a function of displacement, rpm, mean effective pressure, and NUMBER OF CYLINDERS (as well as a few other factors that aren't so obvious). The more cylinders you have, the more power strokes your have per 1 revolution of the crank. A V-12 fires 3 times per 1 rev while a V-8 fires twice.

You can get more power out of more cylinders even though the disp. is smaller, BUT you lose out on torque due to smaller cylinders.

Take it from someone who designs cars for a living... the C5 engine really does blow this one away.

By the way, I have driven a 365 GTS/4 and I absolutely love this car. Probably the best sounding V-12...ever. (GTS was the spider version of this car)

5. Re: Engine Beats the current C5 corvete's with 60's technlogy

Although this is probably one of the more traffic-friendly of the earlier Ferrari's, peak horsepower is available over a much narrower band than the Vette. As far as reliability, Dan Gurney and Brock Yates drove one of these cross country at an average speed of well above 85mph, including stops. At the end of the trip, the car needed only a wash, and oil change, and a new set of rear tires. Any way you slice it, this is an extremely impressive car. Plus, that V12 sounds phenominal. My favorite Daytonas are the Group IV specials.

6. Re: Engine Beats the current C5 corvete's with 60's technlogy

yeah I'd never heard that Daytona's had reliability issues, I had heard that sometimes turning them in the wet was 'an act of faith'.

7. Re: Engine Beats the current C5 corvete's with 60's technlogy

ya gotta remember its still a 12... if u want to compare technology compare it to a 12 of today of similar displacement. also if i were to pick an engine in my car it would be the LS1 because of the wide range of power, toque and its lighter wieght.

8. Re: Engine Beats the current C5 corvete's with 60's technlogy

Are you suprised? You shouldn't be...

9. Re: Engine Beats the current C5 corvete's with 60's technlogy

you should compare this to the Miura if anything, which is better<!-- Signature -->

10. Re: Engine Beats the current C5 corvete's with 60's technlogy

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from tiger005</i>
    <b>you should compare this to the Miura if anything, which is better</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

The miura is nice, but ive read many comparisons and this car always seems to come out on top. Plus, it's faster and more luxurious.
    As for reliability issues, a Daytona was driven from NYC to the california coast in 36 hours, and that is a serious testament to this cars endurance capabilities. This is my favorite car, and it has a beautiful engine, but from a performance standpoint the C5's engine is better. It just has much more versatility and efficiency. But no throaty V12 wail from the C5 vette.<!-- Signature -->

11. Re: Engine Beats the current C5 corvete's with 60's technlogy

If you take care of them, they wont break down. They are just expensive to service. Changing cam belts is required every 30k miles and costs $4,000.
    About not meeting sound requirements, why would you want it to? The old carburated ferrari 12's sound AMAZING. An acquaintance of mine too me out in his daytona, and all i can say is the sound is amazing. At 7k rpms you hear the mechanical whirring and the exhaust, its intoxicating. In case you couldnt tell i love ferraris.

12. Road & Track had an article a while ago about the sonic profiles of exhaust. Out of the cars they compared, the Daytona had the most 'musically pure' resonance. Not bad for a car without tuned headers.