Ethanol as alternative fuel

Discussion in 'American Cars' started by mahrens34, Sep 15, 2004.

1. I like the sound of that response.

I've always been a fan of alcohol fuels. Personally, I think they might turn out to be a better alternative than hydrogen in the end. It might not burn as efficiently and clean as hydrogen, but in the end, I think alcohol fuels will turn out to be much more practical.

2. I like the sound of that response.

I've always been a fan of alcohol fuels. Personally, I think they might turn out to be a better alternative than hydrogen. It might not burn as efficiently and clean as hydrogen, but in the end, I think alcohol fuels will turn out to be much more practical.

3. Well yeah, that is why I am a big fan of it too. There are two things that I dislike about hydrogen. The first is the source, many times it comes from petroleum products (methane and natural gas is a common one) which does not take fossil fuel out of the equasion as well as the effluents from manufacturing plants.

The second is storage tanks. There is a metal in which hydrogen will "disolve" into making it explosion proof, but that is rare. Even with the safest in technology of tanks, there is still risk if a rupture which would kill any occupant regardless of safety.

4. You're right about hydrogen coming mostly from petroleum. That would still make the hydrogen economy pointless.

What other sources kick ass besides alcohol?

So far, biodiesels and lithium ion batteries sound pretty promising.

5. yeah, that pretty much sums them up IMO for long range travel. There are many types of chemicals that can be refined from plants and organizms. There is thoughs of bacterial gas in which they can refine heavier petrochemicals from bacterium which process organic matter into hydrocarbons, but then there will still be soot and such that is a byproduct of burning larger molecules.

Problem with batteries is waste and recycling. This is easy enough to work around. One though I had with battery powered cars is a docking station of sorts for long distance travel. Essentially, you pay to trade a battery at something like a gas station, they take your cartridge out, and put a fresh one in for say 5 bucks. They check, refurbish and charge the battery core then, pretty neat Idea I think. THen there is are other charging stations as well. I think that would be the way for battery power to go.