Ever see the movie "The Gumball Rally"?

Discussion in '1970 Ferrari 365 GTB/4 Daytona' started by FIAT124spider, Aug 9, 2002.

1. In the Movie "The Gumball Rally" based on the original Cannonball Baker Sea to Shining Sea Memorial Trophy Dash there is a great Daytona Spider that is shown alot and is involved in a lot of high speed racing sceenes.
    And By the way in the real Cannonball a blue Daytona coupe driven by magazine editor Brock Yates and LeMans winner and F1 driver Dan Gurney drove from NY-LA in 35 hours and 56 minutes.

2. Re: Ever see the movie

I referenced the Cannonball Run Daytona in the other thread- a very impressive feat likely never to be duplicated

3. Re: Ever see the movie

I heard that the Daytona actually hit 174 MPH on the road, can anyone else confirm or deny this?

4. Re: Ever see the movie

I do know that durring the cannonball Yates and Gurney got a speeding ticket in Arizona for going 165mph in a i think 65 mph zone. So its highly likly one could go that fast. A Jaguar XJS holds the record when it won the 1979 cannonball with a time of 32:51.

5. Re: Ever see the movie

According to the Road & Trak article, Gurney & Yates were stopped for doing 143 in a 55.