every bodys trying to make a supercar

Discussion in '2002 Peugeot RC Concept' started by dwaaz, Aug 10, 2002.

1. Re: every bodys trying to make a supercar

I just wanna say that creating supercars like these(bad performance or not)is a source of inspiration for Peugeot and other brands.
    The design is spectacular(although the backside looks like ferrari)and it will encourage other brands to make cars like this too.

See it as a learningprocess.
    It's just another step forward in cardesign.

So what's wrong with everybody is trying to make a supercar.
    I don't see that as a bad thing to do.

2. Re: every bodys trying to make a supercar

Well, car manufacturer makes what ever the people demand. If you see a lot of these companies start making a supercar then I guess there are a lot of demands out there for these kind of cars.

This car is nice, I like it. With a 4 cylinder engine and 178hp, the car run 0-60mph in 5.9 seconds and 142mph top speed, that's pretty impressive. I agree that this car is not a supercar though but who cares? This car is nice and have a quite impressive performance.

3. Re: every bodys trying to make a supercar

Peugot won't put this into production without demand, and if they did what would be so wrong with a 'supercar' having a peugot badge? Shouldn't you let the performance figures dictate whether this is a supercar not who it's produced by?
    Although it doesn't have diablo performance figures, but close to 180bhp is nothing to be laughed at either!

4. Re: every bodys trying to make a supercar

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from luekevin</i>
    <b>Let me make this straight....if i say Lamborghini...people will automatically think of the Countach, Diablo and maybe the Mercilago(dunno how to spell it)...if i say Ferrari people will think of the Tessorassa, 355, 360, F-40 F-50 etc....but if i say Peugeot, people will think the 306, 206, 406 and mayb the 607 since its new...

They wouldnt think of "Ohh yes the RC concept"...
    I think i made my point...
    Besides this car is ugly and slow</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

The RC is already very famous in Europe.

If I say Peugeot I think : 905 , 205T16 , 405T16 , 406DTM , 206WRC , 406 Coupe , Oxia.

Moreover a fast car isn't determined by its top speed , are WRCs slows ? NO , even if their top speed is 250kmh in Kenya.

5. I don know dudes every car manufacturer is trying to make a super car now a days n they do come out with very good concepts which are very pleasing to look and have very good performance too but I some how feel that supercars are meant to be built by a few car manufacturers in the world who have the rich tradition of building them (Lamborghini, Ferrari, Porsche etc). It is kinda weird that car companies that haven’t built passenger cars are now trying to build their very own super cars when they already a sports brand. I will try to explain exactly what I mean. Audi is owned by VW, Audi owns Lamborghini. VW also owns other super car companies like Bugatti n Porsche but VW has still produced a super car under its own company name (W12). The same is up with General Motors. They have released a new Cadillac super car (cien) while caddies are recognised more known as luxury vehicles. They din even use their sports brand which is well respected the world over “Chevrolet”. If this goes on very soon the super car market will be saturated with daily used brands like FORD, RENAULT, VW, AUDI. The real good sports brand will be the names of the past.
    By this note I will end ma comment please share your views with me on this topic.

6. Re: every bodys trying to make a supercar

Totally agree with u buddy....This car looks alright, but as u said its not a supercar brand...But notice these supercars are never gonna come out?? I think they made these cars to get some "hype" from people so it will boost their names up.

I think thats what vw is trying to do aswell...their w12 is pretty sweet, but they made it in 1997 and uptill now they r still modifying it and wont b out for a while....vw is expanding with their new ange of cars including the Phaeton (s-class competitor)...and a while range of other concepts like the Ute, corrado and the malagen (dunno how to spell it)

But yea i think these cars r mainly just to get ppls attention but wont b on the markets for a while..

7. Re: every bodys trying to make a supercar

hey dude i will agree to ya comment that these are mostly concept cars but i may add that not all of em are. the caddi cein as well as the bently hunaudieres concept will hit the road as soon as this year end if i am not wrong but any ways lets see what happens...

8. Re: every bodys trying to make a supercar

I think that everyone is trying to build supercars because they are extremely populare and the demand for them is increasing, also with the price of one supercar you can buy 20 corolas, thats just my opinion.<!-- Signature -->

9. Re: every bodys trying to make a supercar

First Peugeot has never intended to build a supercar.
    Peugeot only sales Popular car , selling luxury cars like a S Class , A8 , Series 5...isn't Peugeot Job.

This car is a concept car to show the design style of Peugeot , if you want to see what could be a supercar according to Peugeot , take a look at the "Oxia".The Oxia is a concept car , never made to be sold one day.

10. Re: every bodys trying to make a supercar

U know kinda think of it, ths car doesnt look all that good. The front bumper grill looks weird and the windows look weird....the back looks kinda like a ferrari, and whats with the spades??

Its like a full weird car and its pretty slow, the new E-class can beat this...Peugeot is really a people mover brand....

11. Re: every bodys trying to make a supercar

hotabi:
    VAG doesn't own Porsche
    Second: "who have the rich tradition of building supercars".
    Bugatti, Alfa Romeo, Ferrari, Fiat, Maserati...
    Lamborghini didn't make cars until 1963.
    Do you think a mechanic paid by Bugatti work harder than one at a Toyota? If Toyota want to make a supercar, there is nothing stopping them, they have sold enough Corollas to finance the development.
    It's just that someone have to build the cars people are willing to buy. They simply have to make concept cars to show people that they can build cars that go fast.
    And once in a while, there are enough possible buyers, so they put it into production.
    Like the VW Nardo

luekevin:
    You haven't learned a thing, have you?
    First of all, the Colorado/Touareg and the Corrado is two different cars.
    Second, what the hell were you doing in history class? That is if you even completed high school. Does the name Ferdinand Magellan ring a bell?

deuginthesky:
    What made you say A8, E-class and 5-series in one sentence?<!-- Signature -->

12. Re: every bodys trying to make a supercar

What the hell are u talking about? I dont give a shit who made cars first?? Its what brand made what!! r u saying Fiat is a supercars brand?? Do u see lambo make station wagons??

Well known brands like Aston MArtin, Masearti, Porsche Ferraris are WELL known supecar brands.....what the hell is peugeot??

The large grill at the front, leaves and pigeons will get caught in there...and i still dont understand the spades

13. Re: every bodys trying to make a supercar

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from luekevin</i>
    <b>What the hell are u talking about? I dont give a shit who made cars first?? Its what brand made what!! r u saying Fiat is a supercars brand?? Do u see lambo make station wagons??

Well known brands like Aston MArtin, Masearti, Porsche Ferraris are WELL known supecar brands.....what the hell is peugeot??

The large grill at the front, leaves and pigeons will get caught in there...and i still dont understand the spades</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

No, I’m not saying; "Fiat is a supercars brand", I’m saying they got a history of making supercars.
    And I don't see Lamborghini making station wagons, but I do see them making tractors and refrigerators.<!-- Signature -->

14. Re: every bodys trying to make a supercar

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from hotabi</i>
    <b>I don know dudes every car manufacturer is trying to make a super car now a days n they do come out with very good concepts which are very pleasing to look and have very good performance too but I some how feel that supercars are meant to be built by a few car manufacturers in the world who have the rich tradition of building them (Lamborghini, Ferrari, Porsche etc). It is kinda weird that car companies that haven’t built passenger cars are now trying to build their very own super cars when they already a sports brand. I will try to explain exactly what I mean. Audi is owned by VW, Audi owns Lamborghini. VW also owns other super car companies like Bugatti n Porsche but VW has still produced a super car under its own company name (W12). The same is up with General Motors. They have released a new Cadillac super car (cien) while caddies are recognised more known as luxury vehicles. They din even use their sports brand which is well respected the world over “Chevrolet”. If this goes on very soon the super car market will be saturated with daily used brands like FORD, RENAULT, VW, AUDI. The real good sports brand will be the names of the past.
    By this note I will end ma comment please share your views with me on this topic.
    </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

yes they own them, but its not like there's 3 guys designing the cars for all the brands. VW needs compition, if 2 people made supercars then they could charge whatever the hell they want. and if you're not one of the 1% of the people in the world who can afford one, it really sucks. really really sucks. the ideas are simple, VW is letting Porsche, Lambo, VW, Ferrari i mean i can keep going cause VW owns about everything, its letting them compete with one another.

another thing. the Cien? that's just a concept, Caddy wanted to prove that they're still with it, and that they can make a car that appeals to people under the age of 60. did they succeed? i couldnt tell you. in a personal opinion i think they did. i think its great, if every manufacturer built a supercar then look at the selection! no longer would you have to buy something just cause it costs a lot of money.

there's nothing wrong with a bunch of companies making supercars, do you have to buy it? noooooooo buy your Mercielago, your Porsche GT, and so on and so forth. i know im making my list ;-)

15. Re: every bodys trying to make a supercar

Everyone is making supercars now because they are popular now, as they were not in the mid -late nineties. In the late eighties and early nineties there was a similar supercar "boom", starting with such supercars as the 959 and F40, going through the McLaren and ending around the time of the F50. In the late nineties, everyone was working on development again, and now we see the boom once more. Supercars highlite a car companies capabilities, and are the "center of the mantlepiece", so to speak. This particular car is extremely lightweight, and gets to 60 in 5.9 seconds with only 180 horses - pretty impressive if you ask me. It is not the same breed of supercar as the Bugatti or Lamborghini, but competent nonetheless. It would probably compete with the Lotus Elise, or perhaps the Honda S2000 or Boxter. Cool car.
    My two cents.

16. Re: every bodys trying to make a supercar

Yeah, why would someone have problems with there being more variety in the supercar market? I cant remember which car it is, but someone was upset because this small, obscure company made a really interesting, exciting supercar....and the person was like, "Why do they even make these cars, they will make like 5 of them, then go bankrupt...why even try?" What?!?! So...what benefit is there by reducing the number of interesting cars out there, making it so only a select few companies have a monopoly of the supercar market. Its like saying...uhhhh, why do people paint pictures....there are already a bunch of paintings out there already, or at least a few painters who can just make all the paintings we need in the world.

Like people have already said, the greatest supercar makers had to start somewhere. Have you seen the cars Lamborghini used to make before the Miura? They suck!!! They are really crappy cheezy passenger cars that were ugly, slow, and unheard of....and thats not to mention the the fact that they make tractors.
    Porshe started from what????.....uhhhh, the VW beatle. I mean, Porshe was a great engineer in Auto Union before the 40s, but his company made the Beatle....and later, he decided that now that he had the funds, he could start having fun making sports cars.

And besides, Puegout has made Supercar comcepts before, this isnt a first. Also, they have been active in sports car racing, LeMans, and most recently WRC. Whats out of charector making a CONCEPT to display their ability to design a capable car in terms of performance and asthetics.

One thing i really dont like is the fact that its a 4 seat mid engined car!! That is lame. One of the great things about driving a mid engined car is the feeling you get with that engine whaling away right behind your shoulders in a nice tight close quarters little package. cut out the back seats, and shorten the chassis by 15 inches.

17. Re: every bodys trying to make a supercar

Let me make this straight....if i say Lamborghini...people will automatically think of the Countach, Diablo and maybe the Mercilago(dunno how to spell it)...if i say Ferrari people will think of the Tessorassa, 355, 360, F-40 F-50 etc....but if i say Peugeot, people will think the 306, 206, 406 and mayb the 607 since its new...

They wouldnt think of "Ohh yes the RC concept"...
    I think i made my point...
    Besides this car is ugly and slow

18. Re: every bodys trying to make a supercar

um, i don't really think this qualifies as a "supercar" it only has 179 horses, and does 0-60 in 5.9. sounds to me like a sports car, although it looks the part of a supercar. plus, i say hoorah for a company trying to improve itself like peugeot. i can't wait till we see them over here in the states. we really need help in the (affordable) sports car department

19. Re: every bodys trying to make a supercar

I agree with the last comment.

I wouldn't classify this car as a "Supercar" either, this is more a Sports Car. Would be alot more inexpensive than that of a Ferrari etc. and would be more suitable for everyday driving (dont hurt me here, i haven't seen the boot/storage space. But with only 180 horses would be quite alot easier to drive.

That is all.

20. Re: every bodys trying to make a supercar

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Welle</i>
    <b>hotabi:
    VAG doesn't own Porsche
    Do you think a mechanic paid by Bugatti work harder than one at a Toyota? If Toyota want to make a supercar, there is nothing stopping them, they have sold enough Corollas to finance the development.
    It's just that someone have to build the cars people are willing to buy. They simply have to make concept cars to show people that they can build cars that go fast.
    And once in a while, there are enough possible buyers, so they put it into production.
    Like the VW Nardo

luekevin:
    Second, what the hell were you doing in history class? That is if you even completed high school. Does the name Ferdinand Magellan ring a bell?

deuginthesky:
    What made you say A8, E-class and 5-series in one sentence?</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

I said A8 , E-Class and 5-series in the sentence as exemples of fast and luxurious cars , just what Peugeot doesn't intend to build , Jean Martin Foltz (PSA CEO) has declared many times that a Peugeot V8 won't be made.
    As there won't have any V8 Peugeot , their most powerfull engine is the 210hp 3L V6 , which make me say that the RC is no supercar but a splendid design flag for the company.
    There are many pressions here in France to "force" Peugeot to build the car , it may be produced ; indeed Peugeot has built the 206CC because of the pression of consumers.

21. Re: every bodys trying to make a supercar

From the thumbnails of this car it looks pretty good but when i open it it looks really bad...I think this car is just a failure.

I know it...u know it, this car will not be released.

22. Re: every bodys trying to make a supercar

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from deuginthesky</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Welle</i>
    <b>hotabi:
    VAG doesn't own Porsche
    Like the VW Nardo

luekevin:

deuginthesky:
    What made you say A8, E-class and 5-series in one sentence?</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

I said A8 , E-Class and 5-series in the sentence as exemples of fast and luxurious cars , just what Peugeot doesn't intend to build , Jean Martin Foltz (PSA CEO) has declared many times that a Peugeot V8 won't be made.
    As there won't have any V8 Peugeot , their most powerfull engine is the 210hp 3L V6 , which make me say that the RC is no supercar but a splendid design flag for the company.
    There are many pressions here in France to "force" Peugeot to build the car , it may be produced ; indeed Peugeot has built the 206CC because of the pression of consumers.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

You could have said; "A8, S-Class and 7-series"
    Or you could have said; "A6, E-Class and 5-series"
    But you said; "A8, E-Class and 5-series"

luekevin: If you read what Supercars.net says about this car, you will understand a lot more.<!-- Signature -->

23. Re: every bodys trying to make a supercar

I just mentionned these cars as EXEMPLES.
    I could have talked about the Vanquish or Maybach, quoting the A8 and the 5 series doesn't mean they are competitors , they all are luxurious cars , exept if you think that a 5-series or a E-class are not luxurious.

While I'm talking , the RC concept consists in 2 cars:
    -a 2L 180hp (not 178.4)
    -a 2.2L diesel of 175hp (with a particle filter).

24. Re: every bodys trying to make a supercar

Yes, nearly everyone is making a supercar. The supercar market is alive and growing again, and I, for one, am happy. Too bad I'm not wealthy to go along with it. <!-- Signature -->

25. Re: every bodys trying to make a supercar

to deuginthesky: i dunno where u get your info from but as i know Peugeot is gonna build V8 car...that's true their most powerfull engine develops 210 bhp but it's gonna change shortly....
    Anyway Pug RC looks incredible imho and it is not designed as another supercar, we should treat it as Sports Car and this makes big difference...what is interesting that this prototype is not very far from production, engines, body, chasis are already developed....Management of Pug just wait for the reaction of the visitors in Geneva and than who knows this car may go into production....