exhaust in the 458 Italia?

Discussion in 'European Cars' started by PandaBeat, Aug 30, 2009.

1. #26 Rafale, Sep 4, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
  2. The press release doesn't say anything about turbo's so it doesn't have any.

3. #28 2998ccCSL, Sep 4, 2009
    I can't tell anything from that picture..

but I can tell something from this one http://www.caranddriver.com/news/car/09q3/2010_ferrari_f450-spied/gallery/2010_ferrari_f450_28spy_photo_29_photo_15

4. ugh you're a one trick pony

5. #30 PandaBeat, Sep 5, 2009
  6. At low revs the exhaust gas goes out through the tube in the middle and at highs revs 90% of the gas is redirected to the left/right tailpipes...

7. Ok that's actually pretty cool then. Just a variation on the bypass valve system they've used for years.

8. Maybe this answers your question?...

9. Why oh why are they doing that for

10. Does this have something to do with lowering the emissions? I'm quite confused.

11. Ferrari and other manufacturers have been doing this to get around noise volume regulations, it allows the cars to be acceptably quiet at part throttle, but still satisfyingly loud at full throttle.

12. It's super easy for a mechanic to pull the valves so that they are "open" 100% of the time (thus louder at higher revs).

13. but don't those valves give you more torque due to backpressure for regular city driving?

14. Ok, thanks. I should have realized that myself :p

15. I am pretty sure you are correct there.

16. it has resonators like in the lexus IS-F