Experts & 300ZX Owners Answer My Questions and Give me some Tips

Discussion in '1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo' started by kid from asia, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Hi,
    Since my 2nd choice Mitsubishi 97~99 Eclipse GS-T and GS-X have known problem in their transmission and engine. (tell me if I am wrong)
    I went back to my original choice 300ZX TT, whichi is hard to find with good price. So I found one that is okay for me.
    93 White 300ZX TT w/ 85k for $14,500. Please tell me if its good deal or whatever...
    But my questions is;
    I mean this car is getting older as the price is getting cheaper(only good part of getting older cars)
    Thing is does the Turbos still function well enough? or does it need a upgrade or something?
    Or its already 10yrs old so should I just buy a different or new car? (any suggestions?)
    Is V6 that much takes more gas than in-line4?
    Is 300ZX TT hard to maintain???
    Any good tips for buying a used 300ZX TT? (or where to check for 300ZX?)
    Any way to check if its been damaged or any good Tips to lower price?

2. Re: Experts & 300ZX Owners Answer My Questions and Give me some

Thanks I guess I have to go on check on carfax.com
    $1600 is alot of money dude.

3. Re: Experts & 300ZX Owners Answer My Questions and Give me some

The only problem with the eclipse transmission is the brass synchros which wear over time. Note that this is only a problem on manaul transmissions so if you want an automatic don't worry. I have not heard of engine problems, could you be more specific?

4. Re: Experts & 300ZX Owners Answer My Questions and Give me some

History is important with any car, but with ANY high performance car, its more important.
    My ZXTT has over 150,000 miles on it. I bought it with 136,000 miles. The mileage put me off when I bought it, but it was going cheap. I looked through the history and there was probably about 50 pages of it. Looking through them all, I could see that the car has had its oil changes at regular intervals at Nissan Garages, and any time somthing went wrong with the car it was fixed.
    Any engine will last a very long time IF it has been looked after by yourself and all the previous owners. 1 bad owner who changes the oil every 10,000 miles instead of the recomemded 4,000-6,000 could cause the problems to the engine 5-6 years down the line.
    As I said, mine has 150,000 miles with the original turbos. I know people who have bought a low milage (40,000 miles) ZX from Japan with no history and had the engine go pop within months.
    This is not a fault with the car. This can happen to any car. The previous owner probably red lined it regualary and didnt change the oil at regular intervals with the a high quality oil.
    Simple stuff like the quality of petrol can cause the problems. Not so bad for here in the UK. Because all Unleaded is RON95 Or 95Oct and the engine has been made to run that. I believe in the US this is called premium and there is a lower quality fuel. Using this can cause problems. Well according to my Nissan ZX manual it can.

Stuart

5. Re: Experts & 300ZX Owners Answer My Questions and Give me some

Yes normal Unleaded in the UK is 95 and 97 is super unleaded. There is a petrol called Optimax made by shell. Its a 97 fuel but its working temperature is lower than normal fuel. And as you know the cooler somthing is the more oxygen it can hold.
    I put it in and the whole car was so smooth, and the mileage went up about 10%. May not be much but its work the extra 5p a litre for it.

Stuart

6. Re: Experts & 300ZX Owners Answer My Questions and Give me some

Little high for a 93 with 85K, but this could be good. You need it's history, and like SRRAE said, it is extremely important with a high performance car. Turbo rebuilds are cheaper than new turbos, if money is really an issue, because it's only like 300-400 cheaper, around 1000 dollars (US). Ive hear of original turbos going to 130k plus, or dying at 70K. Know the history, learn the vehicle and baby the sh!t out of it, and you'll be happy.

7. Re: Experts & 300ZX Owners Answer My Questions and Give me some

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from kid from asia</i>
    <b>Thanks I guess I have to go on check on carfax.com
    $1600 is alot of money dude.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->
    $1600 for what, when did he mention $1600?

8. Re: Experts & 300ZX Owners Answer My Questions and Give me some

That's funny man, Kid from Asia and Kid from Asia are the same person.

I have no idea what the $1600 is for though.