Ferrari F1 turbo sound

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by webber f1 racer, Dec 23, 2013.

1. #1 webber f1 racer, Dec 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    As I predicted, all the noobs who thought the turbos would sound like vacuum cleaners on racecars ended up wrong. Test-bed recordings never sound like the real thing when it's in action. You really only needed to go back to the (awesome-sounding) 80s cars to get a good idea what they would sound like.

Don't know if this is already posted, but a recording of the new Ferrari turbo put in the LaFerrari chassis:

To me, that's a kickass sound, and it will sound even more awesome when the throttles are wide open in race trim. I immediately like it better than the 2.4L V8s.

2. car racing?

3. Probably should be in racing forum.

Anyway, I don't think that's their F1 engine. It sounds like a V12.

4. My bad, posted in here by mistake.

5. According to all the comments it's the F1 V6 turbo, driven by Kamui Kobayashi. I'm sure there's at least a few know-it-all mouthbreathers who would say otherwise if it weren't true. And it sounds nothing like a N.A. V12 to me.

6. Yeah, youtube comments.

I'm willing to bet that this isn't their F1 engine. It makes absolutely no sense.

Why would they go to all the effort of fitting the engine in a non-f1 car chassis. Considering that the engine and gearbox are so tightly integrated, they would have to completely design a new gearbox assembly just for this car. They would also have to either redesign the mount points on the engine, or redesign the chassis of the test car to accommodate it. All those things are incredibly time consuming and expensive, especially for a few trial runs around the track only a few months before they test their real 2014 car.

They have test beds for this sort of thing.

That's not mentioning all the other ancillaries, as well.

It's also running at very low RPM.

7. F1 had been dead for years

8. #8 burner, Dec 24, 2013
    Im the dude who confused a gearbox for an engine, but you are so far out of the ballpark on this one, it isn't funny.

That is clearly a turbo engine, and it definitely is the new F1 V6. The teams are not allowed to test their new F1 cars, but there are no rules about not testing their engines.

As for them having trouble fitting the engine to the LF, this might be true IF FERRARI DIDN'T BUILD CARS. Integrating this into a chassis would be no problem for them whatsoever.

This is the new F1 engine testing under the cloak of a Le Mans entry for 2015, which sources say will not happen. They are merely playing it safe with the FIA, so they are not perceived to have an advantage.

Add to that this:

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/111925

Which is the boss of Ferrari saying they will enter Le Mans, with a LaFerrari powered by the 1.5L V6 F1 engine, and you have just had a RenaultF1.jpg moment.

9. yeah, saw this a while ago and was pleasantly surprised at how non-hoover-like they sound.

10. inb4 gran turismo get the rights

11. #11 ajzahm, Dec 24, 2013
    This. It's smashing the gate uleh

12. #12 Bugatti4evr, Dec 24, 2013
    I never said it wasn't turbocharged.

I think you're underestimating the amount of effort required to mate a powetrain with a chassis, particularly an engine/gearbox that is a stressed member and includes the rear suspension, and a chassis that is made of composites (you can't weld extra pieces onto a composite tub, you have to build an entirely new one).

It's certainly possible, but what benefit would they gain from it? They will already have test engines running on test beds in the factory under controlled conditions. What logic is there in strapping to a completely different chassis and doing a few slowish laps around the track in conditions very different from the ones they'll face during the season.

We'll wait and see, but if it turns out that I'm right (that the sound of the Ferrari F1 car at pre-season testing sounds completely different to this), that you'll admit you're wrong?

13. This wouldn't be the first time an F1 engine has been put in a road car. Renault put one in their Espace van back in the 90s.

14. Alfa Romeo 164 Procar

15. Did you even read the link?

I think you are completely ignoring the fact that Ferrari built both the engine and the car, and integrating an F1 engine that has been in development for at least 3 years into a chassis that has been in development for about the same amount of time, is not going to be a problem at all. These guys aren't back yard tinkerers.

If you had worked with composite before, you would know that what you are saying about creating a new tub is utter bullshit. If you need new engine mounts you can simply epoxy them on. You don't need to build a new tub. What do you think a carbon tube is milled out go of a huge block of black stuff? They build it layer by layer, then bake it in an autoclave under pressure. Adding stuff is easy.

Following on from your logic, no F1 team needs to test their cars because they can use rolling roads and dynos in the factory. Real world testing is completely useless. Ferrari did not build Fiorano to test their F1 cars, it was just something pretty to look at and create passion. It does not replicate real world grand prix tracks in anyway. By your estimation, we might as well just run the entire F1 season on Grand Prix simulators, as it will be exactly the same outcome.

As for slow laps, how can you tell? Have you stood at that part of Fiorano? It is a hairpin corner, it is a slow corner. I can't tell if the car is going fast or slow from the video, but that doesn't really matter, we have no idea what they were testing for.

You are not right, the link explains that it is almost definitely an F1 engine in the LF, whether it is for Le Mans, or whether they are just staying on the safe side of the FIA is the only thing in question.

16. And you're ignoring the fact that Ferrari builds things other than Formula 1 cars. It could be any number of other projects or parts in development.
    Why is it more logical that they would shoe-horn in an F1 engine into a road car, than it is that they are developing any number of other things?

Have you worked with composites?

What you're saying is ridiculous. The engine bolts directly onto the bulkhead of the chassis. These connections hold the front half of the car to the rear half. Add in torque from the engine. This connection has to be very strong. They can't just glue on some blocks and mount the engine on that.

Also, the fact that it's called "composite" is a bit of a clue. It derives it's strength from both the carbon fibre and the resin together. The resin itself is significantly weaker than the composite, so the points where it is glued on will be weak.

My logic isn't that it doesn't make sense to road test cars. My point is that it doesn't make sense to test them if pretty much all the components are modified to fit. Testing a car is primarily done to see how all the components work together under the conditions they will actually be run.

Here's a couple of things that would need to be modified.

Track width: suspension arms and geometry would need to be changed, since these bolt onto the gearbox assembly, that means that gets modified.
    Packaging: Everything from radiators, intercoolers, plumbing, intakes, exhausts and ancillaries will have to be modified to fit that car. It's easy to package stuff in a larger space, but things like radiators need to be repositioned so they receive airflow.
    Wheels: That car is running large rims with low profile tyres. Since low profile tyres don't have as much give in them as F1 tyre's rather tall sidewall, the suspension would have to be completely redesigned. This is a rather major change, so much so that teams have resisted it based on the radical redesign required to facilitate it. Remember, the suspension is integral to the gearbox, which is integral to the engine.

Even a team as large and well resourced as Ferrari has limited resources (time being the most pressing one). Every component that gets fabricated creates an opportunity cost. I don't see the logic in them creating an entirely new prototype out of parts which they know won't make it onto an actual F1 car. That's thousands of man hours wasted redesigning and fabricating parts for a car which won't ever race.

What do they hope to achieve from this test? I honestly don't know. It seems like a lot of effort for very little gain.

As for how fast he was going...you don't need to have gone to Fiorano to know that wasn't the fastest they could've driven. While he did give it some boot towards the end of the video, the previous passes were nowhere near that level of throttle input. So he wasn't driving as quickly as he could on those laps.

We shall see.

17. Woah car discussion

18. Lol. This didn't just turn into a multi-paragraph argument, did it?

Burner and bugatti getting their indie on.

19. I don't like the sound and yeah like many turbocharged cars it sounds like someone who's sneezing or like a hoover here and there. I'll give the benefit of the doubt until it's final, though.

20. It'll be testing for reliability most likely. Only 5 engines per driver this season.

21. Read the link.

I have worked with composites, I do it all the time in my spare time. Kevlar/Carbon generally.

You seem to overlook that Ferrari BUILDS F1 CARS AND ROADCARS. Putting an F1 engine into a road car chassis is not an issue for them, no matter what rubbish you want to come up with.

JUST READ THE LINK. It was hard to complete this post without reverting to name calling. Merry Christmas.

22. It's definitely an F1 engine... It's very heavily turbocharged, listen to the compressor surge and wastegates. It's small by the sound too. It is revving high, listen when he comes by on full throttle during the 2nd last pass. The engine RPM limit next year is also down to 15,000... With this car Ferrari can get extensive engine testing in away from F1's stringent regulations on testing.

Also, Ferrari have stated that they began to get things rolling on an LMP program so they'll want as much testing with these new engines as possible. This powerplant could even be combined with a hybrid system in the LaFerrari considering the amount of hybrid technology that's going into LMP cars now.

So basically who the **** knows what's going on with all this testing, all I know is that this is definitely an F1 engine from the sound.

23. It didn't sound to me like he was hitting full throttle at all. He only got close exiting the corner on the final pass.

24. Hence why I said 2nd last pass, and yea the last pass too lol.

25. To me it sounds like every other gearbox.