Ferrari unveils its fastest model to date

Discussion in 'European Cars' started by CitroenSM, Mar 5, 2013.

1. #1 CitroenSM, Mar 5, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    Quote from autonews.com;

2013 GENEVA AUTO SHOW
    Ferrari unveils its fastest model to date
    LaFerrari hybrid supercar delivers 963 hp

Luca Ciferri
    Automotive News Europe -- March 5, 2013 12:00 CET

RGENEVA – Ferrari unveiled the LaFerrari supercar at the Geneva auto show today. The 963-hp hybrid is the fastest, most powerful and most expensive Ferrari model to date. It succeeds the Enzo.

Ferrari said the car's name, which means The Ferrari in Italian, was chosen to underline its uniqueness in the brand's history.

LaFerrari is Ferrari's first gasoline-electric hybrid model. It is powered by the HY-KERS system, which consists of a 6.26-liter V-12 normally aspirated engine that delivers 800 hp coupled with a 120 Kw (163 hp) electric motor, giving the car a combined power output of 963 hp.

Ferrari did not disclose the price of LaFerrari, but sources said the pre-tax starting price for the car will be about 1 million euros.

After taxes, the base version of the Ferrari Enzo replacement will cost an estimated 1.21 million euros in Italy, the sources said.

Ferrari will build 499 units of LaFerrari, 100 more than the Enzo, to meet growing demand for the brand in Asia, particularly China. When launched in 2002 the Enzo's starting price was 665,000 euros with taxes in Italy. Today, used Enzo models retail for more than 1 million euros.

During an event last month in Turin, Fiat-Chrysler CEO Sergio Marchionne said the new Ferrari model is already sold out.

Ferrari said LaFerrari will accelerate from 0 to 100kph in less than 3 seconds and from 0-200kph in less than 7 seconds.

Ferrari said the LaFerrari has a lap time of less than 1 minute, 20 seconds on the company's test track in Fiorano, near its Maranello headquarters in Italy. The time is 5 seconds faster than the Enzo and 3 seconds quicker than the F12 Berlinetta. Before the arrival of the LaFerrari, the 740-hp F12 Berlinetta was Ferrari's most powerful and fastest model ever

LaFerrari's HY-KERS system reduces the car's CO2 emissions to 330 gram per kilometer compared with 350g/km for the F12 Berlinetta and 398g/km for a 700-hp Lamborghini Aventador.

LaFerrari burns about 14.2 liters of fuel per 100km, compared to 15 liters of the F12 and 17.2 liters of the Aventador.

Ferrari said the high torque levels available at low revolutions from the electric motor allowed the engineers to optimize the internal combustion engine's performance at higher revs. The LaFerrari redline is at 9250rpm. Total torque generated by the engine and the electric motor is in excess of 900 Nm, compared with 690 Nm for the F12 Berlinetta.

The HY-KERS hybrid system has two electric motors developed with supplier Magneti Marelli, one powering the wheels and the second the ancillary systems.

The battery pack weighs 60kg and is attached to the floor of the carbon fiber chassis and consists of battery cells that are assembled in the Scuderia Ferrari department, where the KERS system is built for the F138 Formula One racecar.

The batteries are charged in two ways: during braking and every time the V-12 internal combustion produces more torque than required, such as in cornering.

LaFerrari was designed by the Ferrari design team led by Flavio Manzoni. Almost all Ferrari production cars since 1951 have been designed in cooperation with Pininfarina.

LaFerrari's body has been given a sculptural treatment heavily influenced by its aerodynamics with a lower front wing that appears to be hung on a single central pylon beneath the nose, inspired by F1, and a tail section that have similarities with Le Mans racecars of the 1960s.

To boost efficiency, LaFerrari features active aerodynamic devices such as diffusers and a guide vane on the front underbody and diffusers and a rear spoiler at the rear. These generate downforce when needed without compromising the car's overall drag coefficient.

The devices deploy automatically according to a number of different performance parameters which are monitored in real time by the car's dynamic vehicle controls.

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/article/20130305/ANE/130309947#ixzz2MfVqutgw
    Follow us: @Automotive_News on Twitter | AutoNews on Facebook

2. I like it, looks much better than the P1.

3. #3 Tipo F130A, Mar 5, 2013
  4. #4 SupraMan, Mar 5, 2013
  5. it's great but they called it something stupid anyway

6. I dig. Dumb name though.

7. Understated, Modern, Compact. Beautiful.

Exposes the Enzo for the dogshit design it truly is.

I'm surprised and impressed.

I wonder how much it weighs...

The name is #$%#ing retarded. It's the F70.

8. glad the 458 wasn't a fluke and they can design other good looking cars. still for me it would go something like this:

california: dumb name and dumb car (californias should be editions not models)
    458 italia: good name and pretty car
    f12berlinetta: name could have been fine but no spacing is dumb. could could have been fine but the face is stupid
    ff: dumb name and dumb car
    la ferarri: dumb name but so far i like the look of it

i guess ferrari the ferrari isn't much worse than ferrari enzo ferrari or the ford ford gt40

9. I want some real pictures of it ...

10. because it looks great , and that name is ridiculous

11. It has the name of a black woman

12. lol

13. that's the stupidest name

not that pretty, but impressive looks, sounds great

15. Love everything but the front. The rear is pretty much top notch.

If the front intakes weren't so elongated that it wraps around the side and is that visible from the profile angle, I think I'd like it much more.

16. looks pretty terrible from this one angle tho.

17. One of the problems with Ferrari today is they look terrible in rosso corsa. Go to the official site and look at the black one. Looks amazing.

18. The Ford GT isn't the "Ford Ford GT"... It's just Ford GT.

19. "Enzo" was the model name, "Ferrari" was the brand.

Ferrari_Enzo

20. least good looking Ferrari top model to date....

21. what a stupid name

22. people have said that since the F40.

you cant go home again. Everything changes. Nothing tastes as good.

23. i'm not sold on the look of this yet. but if I were to pick a colour it'd be TDF blue

24. This thing has front overhang out to next week!

If veyronman were still here I'd ask him if it was okay, since he seemed to hate front overhang on my fe$$a$i.

25. I love the rear and top view, the side is ok but the front is horrible.

Also what were they thinking when they picked that name.