First Production Turbo car?

Discussion in '1973 BMW 2002 Turbo' started by Ahnuc Onun, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Correct me if I'm wrong, but was this not the world's first turbocharged production car? Does anyone know for sure?

2. Re: First Production Turbo car?

Actually, I think the Corvair Monza Turbo and Olds Jet Fire both had turbochargers back in '62-63. How many were made, I'm not sure. I do know that the 2002 Turbo beat the 911 Turbo to market by at least a few months.

3. Re: First Production Turbo car?

The turbo was invented shorty after the turn of the century to give airplanes a bit of a kick. Plenty of cars were built with it before the war.

4. Re: First Production Turbo car?

actualy the first turbo was a saab i believe<!-- Signature -->

5. Re: First Production Turbo car?

I have no idea,

Is that a corrado in your pic?<!-- Signature -->

6. Re: First Production Turbo car?

i dont care this is a pos car. bmws suck

7. Re: First Production Turbo car?

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from ilovefastcars</i>
    <b>i dont care this is a pos car. bmws suck</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->Well, then your name sucks, because BMW makes fast cars.<!-- Signature -->

8. Re: First Production Turbo car?

first european car, i think.

9. Re: First Production Turbo car?

I read an article that said this was the first PRODUCTION turbocharged car made in numbers of more than 100 or something. Its too bad this car (the one in the pic) doesn't have the reverse 2002 Turbo scripting. It was designed so that the fast 2002 would catch up to slow cars and the slow cars could see the words 2002 turbo in their rearview mirrors. They had to take it off after alot of people complained.

10. Re: First Production Turbo car?

why did they put in a light turbo boost?

11. Re: First Production Turbo car?

Turbos were not developed for planes, those were superchargers and used in 30's race cars such as the "Blower" Bentley. Turbos were developed after World War 2 to help increase power in large diesel engines. The corvair monza and the Old Jetfire were the first to use turbos in a production car, but they were small runs. These early 60's turbos had high lag and lots of piston knowck due to the unpredictable fuel delivery of carbuerettors. The BMW 2002 was the first injected turbo (beating the 911 by a year), but again it was limited production run for both BMW and the 911 (BMW only did it for 2 years). In 1976 Saab made the first truly usable turbo in a production and driving sense, and they have made turbo models from 1976 on, they have been the only company (besides possibly porsche) that has committed to turbo use in road cars.

12. Re: First Production Turbo car?

BMW used a light boost to minimize pre-ignition of the fuel in the cylinders. This was pre-electronic ignition and there was only mechanical fuel injection. Boost control was not an option other than to limit it. So that's what BMW did, when Saab developed the APC in 1981 or 82 they made variable boost control feasible.

13. Re: First Production Turbo car?

yea saabs kick ass

its such a shame theyre so butt ugly

14. Re: First Production Turbo car?

I don't find Saabs that ugly. Whatever...

15. Re: First Production Turbo car?

Yes it is. All these guys are a bit right. The '30s Blower Bentley has got a mechanical compressor, such as found on AMG-engines and the Jag 4.0 Compressor. This car is the first production car with a turbo compressor.

16. Re: First Production Turbo car?

didnt some kind of thunderbolt(not thunderbird) have a turbocharged engine. im guite sure it was made by ford in the late 60's but they never produced 2 many