fish talk

Discussion in 'extrasuperpowr's Website Forum' started by Enigma Lips, May 12, 2008.

1. Building a wet/dry trickle filter/sump.

Yeah, I've been back there a few times, it's insanity.

2. Building a wet/dry trickle filter/sump.

whats going in it?

3. Building a wet/dry trickle filter/sump.

water

4. Building a wet/dry trickle filter/sump.

finishing the the skimmer box and trickle plate. shoulda added the silicon around the edges before I sealed all 4 sides. Which is why it looks like crap in the later pictures. It won't be totally noticeable when it's running.

5. Building a wet/dry trickle filter/sump.

Adding the extensions to the trickle box so it will just rest on that inner lip inside the sump tank.

6. Building a wet/dry trickle filter/sump.

The skimmer box looked great before I had to slather it in silicon. I am still not 100% sure that if the solvent I used is ok to have in direct contact with the water flow. But I should have just sealed it off earlier.

7. Building a wet/dry trickle filter/sump.

Fitting the lid with the internal spray nozzle. It works nicely if I have the hoses positioned correctly. This should not be a problem at all.

8. Building a wet/dry trickle filter/sump.

I had to make sure that this box will not ever come loose from the tank. This aquarium is my baby, and this was one of the scariest and most emotional parts of this whole process.

It will work, and be ok, but I really hated having to do this. But safety is a priority. I sealed the plastic screws in with silicon as well. It looks ok though.

9. Building a wet/dry trickle filter/sump.

Lid opens and closes. For evaporation.

10. Building a wet/dry trickle filter/sump.

Sealing the box on with clamps and acrylic solvent.

I cut out a portion of the skimmer box, and will be cutting slits in the tank for the water to overflow through. I will seal the inner lip with silicon tomorrow.

A video is uploading of the sump working, looks pretty cool. Fortunately, I think I am done cutting all the individual pieces. A couple things need sanding, but that's about it.

11. #36 Enigma Lips, May 17, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    Building a wet/dry trickle filter/sump.

Sump running by itself circularly. The water will be pushed into the tank, where it will overflow into the skimmer, and run down into the totally silent box inside the stand beneath the tank. It's gonna be really money.

12. Building a wet/dry trickle filter/sump.

Wow, this is awesome.
    +1

13. #38 Enigma Lips, May 20, 2008

It has since been fixed for leaks, and the back painted black. Pics when the sun comes back out.

14. Building a wet/dry trickle filter/sump.

HAR HAR

15. Building a wet/dry trickle filter/sump.

Well. I decided to completely change the plans of the sump and am just chalking this up to a learning experience. It is not going to be the most efficient design for what I am trying to do. Nor is it quite large enough.

So for starters, I am doubling the design.

16. Building a wet/dry trickle filter/sump.

whawhawhat?!?!?

17. Building a wet/dry trickle filter/sump.

18. #43 Enigma Lips, May 27, 2008

water falls through the drip plate, over and through the bio balls. Drains into the chamber in the far right, which will have live rock on it, feeding off of the nitrate and growing algaes and what not.
    Over the wall into the next chamber, where I will put the protein skimmer
    probably getting this one
    http://www.aquarium-supply.biz/Current_USA_Fission_Nano_Protein_Skimmer_p/rcu08100.htm
    this will aerate the water, and provide a ridiculous amount of gas exchange. Which will turn the heavy nitrates that the bioballs are going to produce, into nitrogen gas, and into the atmosphere, out of the tank. It completes the entire cycle and and polishes the water one last time.
    After that, the water will be forced through the final two walls where any microbubbles that formed after the turbulence of the skimmer will be popped and the water will pour int the final chamber as crystal clear, free of bubbles yet highly oxygenated. In that last chamber I will have room for my heater and the pump.

I am going to be using a 20 gallon tank ideally for this. If I can get one really cheap. I could still use the 10 gallon, but I dunno now.

19. #44 Jew Jew Rocket, Jun 11, 2008
  20. Building a wet/dry trickle filter/sump.

redesigned the sump, scrapped everything you saw earlier.

Just got the lights and my slick new digital thermometer

21. Building a wet/dry trickle filter/sump.

Lights on, sump running with the all it's components, well, that's not actually true at all. I still have a lot of work on it.

That sand is mostly black, it's hard to get the camera to pick it up right. But there's flecks of white, it looks like volcanic ash (and I think it actually may be)

22. my aquarium project - updatedjune 26

im keen on making one up also.
    does bigger necisarily mean more self sufficient/easier? i want the least effort possible, and harder for my flatmate to #$%# up when i go away

23. my aquarium project - updatedjune 26

im keen on making one up also.
    does bigger necisarily mean more self sufficient/easier? i want the least effort possible, and harder for my flatmate to #$%# up when i go away

24. my aquarium project - updatedjune 26

Yes, bigger is easier to maintain, because a change in chemistry is spread out over a much larger gradient, nothing will change too rapidly with more water. Just think of it as dilution.

25. my aquarium project - updatedjune 26

oh sweet, 6ft tank it is! they are relativly cheap used also. sub 500 bucks