Flat 6???????

Discussion in '1998 Porsche 911 GT1 ’98 Straßenversion' started by sk8er1988, Aug 10, 2002.

1. I find it amazing how most porsches get away with V6's. Sill because allmost all other supercars in this range are all big V12's

2. Re: Flat 6???????

The power of TURBO my man<!-- Signature -->

3. Re: Flat 6???????

This car has a Flat-6, not a V6

4. Re: Flat 6???????

Yeah, turbochargers do some amazing things. I believe it was the Jaguar XJ220 that originally began its life with a V-12, but at some point, the development team switched to a twin-turbo six-cylinder (though I can't recall if it was in-line or V), and managed to get right into the same performace area as they had with the V-12. As I remember it, this upgrade also significantly reduced the car's oveall weight.

It's only too bad that the turbocharger hasn't really caught on in the 'States. They're more fuel-efficient, so it's a wonder why American companies aren't using them. I think it's just an internal idea that 4- and 6-cylinder engines can't compete with big-bore V-8's and V-10's. Oh, well, I suppose that's why the foreign car market's always been fairly strong...

But, hey, that's just my opinion.

-Skippy

5. Re: Flat 6???????

Ya the great thing about turbos is they can really save weight. Although they are only truely appreciated with a quality performace engine.

6. Re: Flat 6???????

+1

7. Re: Flat 6???????

+1