For the same money you could get a 360M or 911 Turbo or 911GT2 o

Discussion in '2003 Mercedes-Benz SL 55 AMG' started by jstalin, Aug 10, 2002.

1. Re: For the same money you could get a 360M or 911 Turbo or 911G

"If you werent so dumb i could explain to you that not all Mercedes suck, I even think they're surpassing BMW in their current models, but any person that would buy an SL is a complete moron."

a complete moron?? for buying THIS CAR?? youre the moron then.
    If you cant afford it,dont call people that can morons and keep your mouth shut.
    shweet.

2. Re: For the same money you could get a 360M or 911 Turbo or 911G

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from benz13</i>
    <b>"If you werent so dumb i could explain to you that not all Mercedes suck, I even think they're surpassing BMW in their current models, but any person that would buy an SL is a complete moron."

a complete moron?? for buying THIS CAR?? youre the moron then.
    If you cant afford it,dont call people that can morons and keep your mouth shut.
    shweet.
    </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Hey Benz13, you are a complete idiot, there are so many better cars than this. He never said anything about the price, you just said that. The 360, the 911 turbo, the 550, and the GT2 are all way better than this thing. This car sucks, it is designed for old men.

Angus<!-- Signature -->

3. Re: For the same money you could get a 360M or 911 Turbo or 911G

Thats what u think, and who cares what u think? so i suppose that everyone that says this car is BRILLIANT dosnt know what they talkin about? leading motoring publications for example. So its crap because U SAY IT IS. pleease. u r comparing it to thoroughbred sports cars, which this is not. and "regarding this car is designed for old men"--
    and "your'e an idiot" just GROW UP.

4. #54 1q2w3e, Aug 10, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    Re: For the same money you could get a 360M or 911 Turbo or 911G

Speed of the gear switching isnt in question you idiot. Its timing, and all of the other controls that a manual has. You obviously havent been on a track, and dont know what good driving dynamics are all about. All you can see is a horsepower rating. Holy uneducated and under informed. Youre so stupid

Ya, if its not faster around the track then its not a sports car. Racing is a sport, if its not good for racing then its not a sports car. You're so dumb. Mercedes is good luxury, that is all.

I cant imagine you own a good BMW. If you are wealthy enough to afford one that means you are at least in your 20s, and if you are, the fact your parents would be around 60 owning mercs proves my point that they're not good sports cars further.

No i dont own a bmw, just raced other people's around a track. An M3 in fact. I have also taken mercs for test drives and in terms of drivability there is no comparison. Why dont you go read Motor Trend, Car and Driver, Road and Track or any other magazine and get some knowledge. And have fun with your 1978 525i you moron.

I know its not faster around a track never said it was, it doesn't mean its not a sports coupe. If its not good for racing its not a sports car? So the M5s not a sport saloon is that it?

You can't imagine i own a good BMW thats fair enough, you don't need to. But you'd have to imagine that if my parents own a pair of mercs its not a shitbox wouldn't you.

I have driven around a track mate, and i'd put my E30 up against you in your mates M3 around a track anyday... And I'd wipe the floor with your arse.

I told you my parents weren't in their 60s. Didn't you read that part? Anyways. I don't live in America, im in Australia and personnally I think the M3s the best 2 door car on the market for its price but thats not the point.

You can actually go and see my shitbox as you call it at www.bavariacars.com.au

Its the one on the main page. 525i? Its a 3 series E30. I don't think horsepowers a main issue knob, braking, suspension and handling are just as important.

So why don't you go over there and have a look for yourself. What kind of car do you drive out of interest?

And my shitty BMW as you call it doesn't have any trouble blowing off M5s and M3s.

5. Re: For the same money you could get a 360M or 911 Turbo or 911G

Yes mate, i know what the thread was about, 0-200mph is never going to be used except in Europe on the autobarns. However it was also significantly quicker than a portion of the other cars to 200kph.

As I said before which you didn't comment on, the 360, 911 and 550 aren't conventional supercars, you might call them modern day supercars. But they are nothing like the origional cars in which the supercar was founded. Im talking about the countach, diablo, F40, F50, Mclaren and XJ220. If you actually watched top gear, youd have seen the episode where the whole classification of supercars is brought into light. They even say the 550 is a car designed for people to put golf clubs in the back of. Jermery Clarkson, its the ep where he drives his 355 and the purple diablo. Guess you haven't seen it.

Supercar, is a wide used term, which it shouldn't be because apart from the Diablo there IS NO supercar available i can think of that fits what was a supercar when the definition was formed, until the F60 and Carerra GT are released neither Porsche or Ferrari will produce a supercar in the origional sense. Clarkson in the top gear ep even mentions the fact that lambo were the first to build a true supercar and are the only people making one now.

200mph is irrelivant in everyday terms except for Europe, which i don't live in I agree.

Which mercedes do you consider above their BMW counterparts, and why is someone who can afford an SL and idiot for spending their money on one? Because it has an auto? Thats it? Seems like a pretty lame reason to me.

The rest of the points i brought up were in response to what you said, i have driven around a track and you said i drived a 78 525i which i proved i didn't. It was in response to what you said, simple. I noticed you didn't claim i was wrong however with what i said but thats beside the point I agree... About resale value, do you really think i care? If you do i'd say your the one thats stupid, because then you'd know BMWs cost a fortune to maintain let alone modify. Im not planning on selling it, i don't need to. If I need another car, i'll get one at another time. But considering I have a car for work I use it when i don't work.

"Dumb juniors spec ed bills" that one was funny, i did actually laugh at that one. Um no there not, but thank you for expressing your concern. I actually work for a family business with my uncles and my mother, which is concerned with poker machines. So being a professional english teacher may someday be your dream job, but i'll just stick with the family business thanks I like it and its interesting. Also puts me through university. I actually did say they weren't sixty, but that was in another forum. My fault.

Anyways back on track. This car offers great performance, and the auto box really isn't a problem. I don't know that many people that fork out this kind of money would take it to a track. I don't know many people who have porsches who take their cars to the track. As i was saying before a lot of emphasis is based on lap times when the majority of owners are never going to go anywhere near a race track.

This cars a GT I'd classify it as, it may offer supercar performance, as do the 911 turbo and 360 but i don't consider them supercars. It goes back to that episode of top gear i guess i never watched because for some reason you came to the smart conclusion i'd never seen it before.

Wheres BMWs competition for this, Im curious to know. Please don't say the Z8, while it is a great car comparo in top gears magazine found it wasn't on par with the 911 and its counterparts. Im also curious as to what BMWs planning on doing in the next few years, Porsche's got the GT, ferrari the F60 and Mercs got the SLR. Plus theres a new lambo out on the market.

And mercedes doesn't make a car for racing. Gee, I guess someone should tell their engineers to stop bothering with the car for the next Le Mans.

I don't see how if your a fan of German cars you can't see the positives in both companies and the cars they make. If Merc make crappy cars performance wise as well according to you, why is it that BMW waits till Mercedes releases a new car before they release their own. How long did BMW put the launch of the 7 series back after the S class was released? What about the new 5 series, the new E will be out before it also. Not to mention AMGs already testing the next E55. Seriously you need to realise that if AMG and Merc made crappy cars that didn't compeate with BMW then BMW wouldn't be concerned whenever mercedes launched a new car. And neither company would be half as good as what they are today.

Competition breeds excellence incase you were unaware of it. And I think BMW is starting to stray from what they've done well for so long. It looks like the E46 M3 could be the last classic BMW if their design trends keep going, hopefully someone will fire the design department who have obviously been smoking crack.

I thought the new 7 series was ugly in pictures, but i couldn't believe how disgusted I was when i saw it in person. I actually thought #$%# were now at the point where those crappy futuristic cars from movies are on the road.

In contrast the new C, S, E and CL are good looking cars, while at the moment BMW only have the 3 series and the 5 which is practically gone anyways. Hopefully they won't #$%# up the new 6 series which was a classic 80s sports coupe, it would be an injustice if BMW made that monstrosity.