Forget S8, M5, and E55 this thing rules!!!!!!

Discussion in '2001 Jaguar XJR' started by 11secdawg, Aug 9, 2002.

1. think about it, it has more luxury than any other car in it's class, amzing performance and the design to go with it.

2. Re: Forget S8, M5, and E55 this thing rules!!!!!!

The only thing this car doesn't have going for it is the automatic transmission. If this car can be found in a stick I'd like it more. Forget all the Krautkars, Jaguar blends looks, class, style, and performance all into one everytime they roll a car out of Coventry.

3. Re: Forget S8, M5, and E55 this thing rules!!!!!!

Your absolutely right. This thing would have the M5 kissing it's ass with a 6-Speed stick. But from owning this car I can honestly tell you that in sport mode the shift's are amazingly fast for an auto. I had a little "magic" done to my XJR by Arden of Germany. The car now has an output of about 450hp and does 0-60 in about 4.3. Trust me, there's nothing like standing next to a Porsche 911 on a red light. This guy obviously thought this was just another Jag, so he revved his engine and kept rollin forward. All I did was put a grin on my face and then, when the light hit green..... all that Porsche driver could do is face the fact the he just got smoked by a two ton luxury sedan. He wasn't even close to having a chance. The Xjr left the Porsche bging fo mercy. I'm sure it was quite a sight to see for the cars behind me. It's not every day that German sports cars get raped by British luxury sedans. Hahahaha.
    I love my Jag.

4. Re: Forget S8, M5, and E55 this thing rules!!!!!!

I don't think this would stand a chance against an M5. It's easy to get more performance out of it for cheap because you can just re-tune the supercharger, but the M5 has the best V8 in the world (save, perhaps, the 3.6L unit from the 360 Modena). If you truly believe that this piece of crap Ford could touch an M5 you're fooling yourself. J-Type shifter? Who needs it? Gimme a BMW Motorsports 6-speed any day and I'll waste your supercharged Lincoln on any track.

PS-Even though your tuned Jag seems to have pretty good stats, you would be put to shame if you went against a supercharged M5. There aren't many because no one wants to touch the engine, but they do exist and they are absolute beasts...0-60 in just shy of 4 seconds!<!-- Signature -->

5. Re: Forget S8, M5, and E55 this thing rules!!!!!!

You wanna talk Ford jackass??? I personally hate the S-Type and the X-Type because quite frankly they are Fords. But the XJ and the XK are both true Jaguars and there is nothing remotely close to a Ford about them. I've driven BMW all my life and the XJR is very close to BMW when it comes to Quality. After my XJR i'll never buy another Jaguar because you might as well buy a Ford. But for now when you're talkin XJR you better not mention Ford because Ford had nothing to do with it. THIS IS PURE JAGUAR. Every person that buys an XJR is hopefully smart enough to put another pound or two of pressure on the supercharger. (it's so simple) Because then, manual or not, the XJR kicks the living shit out of the M5, and it does it with style and grace that is only rivaled by a Bentley. Yeah I manula would be fun but I own a 550 Maranello that I can do that stuff with. In a luxury sedan all I want to do is be faster than everyone else in absolute comfort. To supercharge an M5 you would have to recalibrate the entire engine and transmission which would completely ruin the character of the car. I'm a tall guy at 6'6 and quite frankly I feel cramped in the M5. So I decided to spend some more cash and make my XJR an M5 killer. And trust me, no BMW has ever gotten past me and I don't think they ever will. One car that would easily make me give up the XJR is the M7 (if they make it). I love the new 7 series, it's the perfect luxury sedan.<!-- Signature -->

6. Re: Forget S8, M5, and E55 this thing rules!!!!!!

1 thing i never wanna see in this is a manual! this is not a sportscar! jaguar is a lux carmake just like mb.......and u don't see alot of manuals in big cars like bmw 7 or audi a8 or mb s500 or this! and ppl that say it needs a manual don't have the $$$$$$ 2 get 1!!!

7. Re: Forget S8, M5, and E55 this thing rules!!!!!!

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Emdec55</i>
    <b>1 thing i never wanna see in this is a manual! this is not a sportscar! jaguar is a lux carmake just like mb.......and u don't see alot of manuals in big cars like bmw 7 or audi a8 or mb s500 or this! and ppl that say it needs a manual don't have the $$$$$$ 2 get 1!!!</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

HAHAHAHA, I hope your quote wasn't meant for me. I didn't say it needs a manual, but EVERY car (aside from a limo) is more fun to drive and more interactive with a stick. I guess it would help to have open road to drive on as sticks in traffic jams do suck, but the benefits are greater than the costs.
    Not all sportscars have manuals, and not all manuals are sportscars.<!-- Signature -->

8. Re: Forget S8, M5, and E55 this thing rules!!!!!!

Let's face it, manual or not if Jaguar wanted to they could easily get around 450hp out of the XJR and gain the title of fastest sedan in the world. The supercharger is not even remotely close to it's potential and Jaguar didn't even make any attemts to tune the engine itself and this car has 370hp. If Jaguar could join with Arden like Mercedes did with AMG there's no telling what kind of a monster the XJR would be. My Jaguar is what I like to call "lightly modified" and the M5 doesn't even come close to outperforming it.<!-- Signature -->

9. Re: Forget S8, M5, and E55 this thing rules!!!!!!

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from 11secdawg</i>
    <b>Let's face it, manual or not if Jaguar wanted to they could easily get around 450hp out of the XJR and gain the title of fastest sedan in the world. The supercharger is not even remotely close to it's potential and Jaguar didn't even make any attemts to tune the engine itself and this car has 370hp. If Jaguar could join with Arden like Mercedes did with AMG there's no telling what kind of a monster the XJR would be. My Jaguar is what I like to call "lightly modified" and the M5 doesn't even come close to outperforming it.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Absolutely. I hate people that think Jaguar's engineers are idiots. I think they are FAR from it. After looking up the specs on the jaguar website, I only wonder why Jaguar doesn't try to put this car out there on the market. Everyone knows about the M5, but not everyone knows about the XJR and it's capabilities. I can only imagine if Arden became more prevalent in Jaguar cars. Jaguar could easily compete with, excuse me, blow away that market.<!-- Signature -->

10. Re: Forget S8, M5, and E55 this thing rules!!!!!!

Man i read so much shit!!! Man, 11secdawg, ur always on supercars.net and yet u have 10 cars n shit, and where ever u go on this site ur on the page saying or posting a reply, so my meaning is that simply i do not believe a word you say....now moving on....arden for jaguar and amg for mercedes.....???? FOR BMW?
    Imagine if BMW had someone like that....i could see all other car manufacturers asses blown out of the water....because nothing would touch BMW, ne way, we'll see if that ever happens...in reality now....m5 being smoked by jaguar....ur joking...this is my first time on the jaguar site....(as i never considered a jag a racer) and i'm telling you this thing ain't never gonna smoke a m5, tune this baby up and i'll tune up the m5 and then we'll see who wins or who gets smoked...and as for tuning up....get it tuned up to the same extent as each other...because listen up all of you jag crazy fans....there is no way a jag is gonna go past a m5.

I don't own one, but since i moved from the uk to the usa, i have seen hella jags on the shoulder on the highway....dunno whas wrong with jags over here....and i have heard problems with the bmw accelerators n shit - jamming!!! But overall there are very few ppl on this site that talk sence, and i would agree with those few ppl who say that this is not a sports car, it is a luxury car, and i completely agree with those ppl, but however, supercars.net is known to only have sports cars on it's site, so in some way this has to be considered a sports car....and so for me and i bet a whole bunch of other surfers on this site the m5 is superior car over this jag, not a lot, but jus superior.
    Jags are nice cars and i would be happy to play second fiddle to the m5 or e55 amg ne day with a jag.

11. Re: Forget S8, M5, and E55 this thing rules!!!!!!

I agree, this isn't a sportscar, it's a luxury sedan. The M5 is not a sportscar, either.
    It would be quite interesting to see what BMW could produce with a company that specializes in tuning BMWs. I think the M series cars are some of the best cars on the road, but I'd take an XJR over an M5 b/c when you say the word "Jaguar" it just reeks of class. I respect the M5, but I'd rather have an M3, personally. I don't need to go into my personal rantings in detail (look up my other posts). Figuring that the prices are roughly similar, the Jaguar just has something the BMW doesn't. I don't know what, but it's something about the leaper that gets me every time.
    What's with the use of the non-word "hella?" That is hella-gay. <!-- Signature -->

12. Re: Forget S8, M5, and E55 this thing rules!!!!!!

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from GimmeaJaguar</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from 11secdawg</i>
    <b>Let's face it, manual or not if Jaguar wanted to they could easily get around 450hp out of the XJR and gain the title of fastest sedan in the world. The supercharger is not even remotely close to it's potential and Jaguar didn't even make any attemts to tune the engine itself and this car has 370hp. If Jaguar could join with Arden like Mercedes did with AMG there's no telling what kind of a monster the XJR would be. My Jaguar is what I like to call "lightly modified" and the M5 doesn't even come close to outperforming it.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Absolutely. I hate people that think Jaguar's engineers are idiots. I think they are FAR from it. After looking up the specs on the jaguar website, I only wonder why Jaguar doesn't try to put this car out there on the market. Everyone knows about the M5, but not everyone knows about the XJR and it's capabilities. I can only imagine if Arden became more prevalent in Jaguar cars. Jaguar could easily compete with, excuse me, blow away that market.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Jaguar's engineers aren't idiots, but they're all getting fired by Ford. 11sec had a good point when he said that this car is pure Jag. I was wrong about that, Ford hasn't yet ruined the XJ cars, but their days are numbered. S-Type and Z-Type are nothing but $50k and $30k Tauruses and Contours. What you are wrong about is that this car could truly beat the M5. You sent your XJ to Arden? I'll send my M5 to Dinan. Let's go to Nurburgring and see who crosses the finish line first. The M5 is well-balanced, poised, and tuned for performance, especially once Dinan's had their say. You might be able to get more out of your engine because of the forced induction, but I'll be able to get more out of my car because the suspension, chassis, transmission, and steering are superior.<!-- Signature -->

13. Re: Forget S8, M5, and E55 this thing rules!!!!!!

i think the fact that this car is a luxury car is the main reason that there is no stick. the ride is the smoothest i have ever been in and it is the fastest car i have been in in my 14-year long life. it is smooth as hell and can put you to the back of your seat despite the modest 360hp engine. also it isnt flashy, which i like.

14. Re: Forget S8, M5, and E55 this thing rules!!!!!!

areden is more prevelent in recent years.
    we're talking about a 4.4L 468HP in 0-60 in 4.3 seconds, and that's the 2002 model stats.
    just wait when Arden modifies the new XJR with aluminum body.
    It'll probably be sub 4 seconds.
    and again destroying the M5.
    which it already does.
    let's not forget something.
    the XJ size means, it's competitor is the 7 series. and the S series.
    guess what... they don't even come close.
    When i get my new jag, whichever model it'll be, i'm definetly going with the full arden upgrade package, with supercharger, to tuning, to exhaust, and spoilers.
    i've seen the X-Type go from 230 to 300HP.
    it's amazing. then imagine the X with a supercharger!
    a definete M3 killer.
    oh, about dissing the s and x.
    2005/6 is the transfer year for the S, 2008/2009 is the trasfer year for the X. Ford will lose it's strong say, as Jaguar is phasing out the Ford components. Don't forget Ford doesn't completely own Jaguar. just a majority part.
    And that may in fact change in the upcoming years as Jaguar regain dominance and it's name.

15. This car has everything but...

This car has everything but... Triptronic Transmission, over 350bhp, THE NAME, FAST, Luxury, Tight Gears, but its a piece of crap, my dad owns one, they fall apart on the road, they're made really poorly

16. Re: This car has everything but...

my dad has an xjr, and its the fastest car ive been out in. i can tell you what it has over the beamer and mercedes; you come to england, and bmw's are common as muck, there are as many of them as there are ford mondeos. also, same goes for mercedes, silver mercedes, so common, i wouldnt be seen dead in one. people used to look upon these manufacturers as something special but now my eyes are used to them.

17. Re: Forget S8, M5, and E55 this thing rules!!!!!!

I agree, amazing car.

18. Re: Forget S8, M5, and E55 this thing rules!!!!!!

It's true, the XJ is a true Jag, but so is the S-type. Jaguar developed the chassis, not Lincoln.