Future Commodore Engines?

Discussion in '2001 HSV VX2 SV300' started by Holden Nut, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Okay, so we all know or have a good idea atleast on what the new Falcon will be powered by. Does anyone know what sort of engines and the proposed performance of the VY and VE Commodore? Is the twin cam 3.8L V6 and turbo 3.2L V6 going into the VY or the VE?<!-- Signature -->

2. Re: Future Commodore Engines?

The ecotec definately won't cut it when Ford gets their new DOHC 6. I think Holden will go with the 3.8 DOHC. They won't give their base model a turboed engine.

3. Re: Future Commodore Engines?

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from BaRRa</i>
    <b>The ecotec definately won't cut it when Ford gets their new DOHC 6. I think Holden will go with the 3.8 DOHC. They won't give their base model a turboed engine.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->Whether the Ecotec will cut it or not wasn't my question was it? Who says they won't turbo their base model? They offer supercharged and V8 based models so why not turbo?<!-- Signature -->

4. Re: Future Commodore Engines?

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Holden Nut</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from BaRRa</i>
    <b>The ecotec definately won't cut it when Ford gets their new DOHC 6. I think Holden will go with the 3.8 DOHC. They won't give their base model a turboed engine.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->Whether the Ecotec will cut it or not wasn't my question was it? Who says they won't turbo their base model? They offer supercharged and V8 based models so why not turbo?</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->
    1. I was just agreeing that Holden needs a new 6 cyl.
    2. By "base model" I meant their cheapest car, the excecutive. A turboes engine would make more sense in a performance model, like the XU6

5. Re: Future Commodore Engines?

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from BaRRa</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Holden Nut</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from BaRRa</i>
    <b>The ecotec definately won't cut it when Ford gets their new DOHC 6. I think Holden will go with the 3.8 DOHC. They won't give their base model a turboed engine.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->Whether the Ecotec will cut it or not wasn't my question was it? Who says they won't turbo their base model? They offer supercharged and V8 based models so why not turbo?</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->
    1. I was just agreeing that Holden needs a new 6 cyl.
    2. By "base model" I meant their cheapest car, the excecutive. A turboes engine would make more sense in a performance model, like the XU6</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->I think it would still be good in a base model, there are other companies that turbo their base models that aren't sporty cars.<!-- Signature -->

6. Re: Future Commodore Engines?

And what would you suggest they do then? Why is 4L too big for a single turbo? What turbo do you think would work?

7. Re: Future Commodore Engines?

You idiot they did. so what did they do they replaced their garret turbo with a GT40 turbo.... And then it was gettign past 270kW easily

8. Re: Future Commodore Engines?

I thought your htread was goign ot be about the GEN IV, a great engine. Isn't it going to switch off cylinders while it's cruising at a constant velocity to save fuel?

9. Re: Future Commodore Engines?

Yep thats correct, Look around for a Red Statesman in Melbourne, it has the engine in it already with the new 5 speed auto :)

10. Re: Future Commodore Engines?

how can you judge a car for reliablity before it has coem out?
    And yeah they woudln't want their V8s to be embarrased, of course, i've said that b4 and I agree, but they will have V8s will 300+kW for sale, from FPV

11. Re: Future Commodore Engines?

The problems I think Ford will have with the Turbo 6 will be poeple voiding thier warranties and upping the boost. As I have mentioned before Ford use standard rods (unfortunately) and other stokc internals and all tests were done on the engines current state of tune.

There could be other problems with the Turbo you never know, but for the moment we should stikc with what we know and not predictions.

As for Conadore engines, In the next few years we will see the introduction of the HFV6, mutlivalve all alloy 60 degree V6, with vvt and other technologies. V8 will be the Gen4 which will probably debut in the C6 Corvette.

12. Re: Future Commodore Engines?

As if they wont just use old ecotec piece of shit, doesnt it show how cheap holden is.

wat car do u have ?

13. Re: Future Commodore Engines?

They have confirmed that they will be using the new V6...dumbass

14. Re: Future Commodore Engines?

VP Executive.

15. Re: Future Commodore Engines?

Oh is that right #%$ boy, how come they didnt do that about 3 years ago ?

16. Re: Future Commodore Engines?

So why are you always on about Gen 3? Have you done any modefications to your car? And also whats wrong with Jap cars exactly ?

Also interested to know how old you are?

17. Re: Future Commodore Engines?

I like the Gen 3 because it is lightweight, durable, economical for its size and power, has lots of potential for power, and relatively cheap. Yes I have done modifications to my car, I am 17, and nothing is wrong with Jap cars, I just prefer Aussie cars.

How old are you and what do you drive?

18. Re: Future Commodore Engines?

How old are you?? what cars have you driven??

19. Re: Future Commodore Engines?

IM 19 and drive a R33 GTS-t. Why do u prefer Aussie cars and u cnt say they are betta.

20. Re: Future Commodore Engines?

Hmm i havnt driven that many cars, only a VX Berlian, VL Berlina turbo and a Celica.

21. Re: Future Commodore Engines?

I doubt that Holden will updaye their engine for some years to come, specialy not on the new models anyway. The fact that they arestill using an old style chevy engine may make you wonder where all their reaserch dollars are going Makeing the car look more like a POS i would imagine.

22. Re: Future Commodore Engines?

yeah i'd prefer your R33 skyline too

23. Re: Future Commodore Engines?

You're quite wrong there. the hrt 427 took some time. they've been developing their upcoming engines, and they will appear in the VZ. i'm pretty sure the factory's already making the new engines.

24. Re: Future Commodore Engines?

yes, that is hrt 427, what bout the HSV's

25. Re: Future Commodore Engines?

they were focusing on the HRT 427, which is why they didn't nbother with the other HSVs. i don't know how much higher in poer they will go. Maybe from 300-355kW to try compete with the new AMG E55 that is pretty bloody quick.