GOD DAMN THE SPEED LIMITER!!

Discussion in '2003 Mercedes-Benz SL 55 AMG' started by Jman, Aug 10, 2002.

1. Re: GOD DAMN THE SPEED LIMITER!!

Fuckin speed limiter shit, rip that shit OFF

2. all of this power goes to waste with the electronic limiter. all of that power could easily be transfered into speed. and lots of it. why i ask, why???!!!!!!!!!!<!-- Signature -->

3. Re: GOD DAMN THE SPEED LIMITER!!

The Speed limiter could be taken off. But if you want it to go faster than 186 mph, get the regular tires removed and then get special tires from a aftertuner market and put them on. On the track it hit 208 mph.

4. Re: GOD DAMN THE SPEED LIMITER!!

sh*t! thats heaps quick for something that weighs 1900kg

5. Re: GOD DAMN THE SPEED LIMITER!!

Bollocks. I only made 193mph in one of Mercedes own test labs. Stop trying to sound like you know something

6. Re: GOD DAMN THE SPEED LIMITER!!

that meant to say 'IT only made 193'

7. Re: GOD DAMN THE SPEED LIMITER!!

Actually SuperSport is right. It once hit 208 mph on the one of the race tracks. Even motortrend said it.

8. Re: GOD DAMN THE SPEED LIMITER!!

LOL!

9. Re: GOD DAMN THE SPEED LIMITER!!

What does LOL! mean?

10. Re: GOD DAMN THE SPEED LIMITER!!

Laughing Out Loud!
    At first I didn't know what that meant either. LOL!

11. Re: GOD DAMN THE SPEED LIMITER!!

what do u mean speed LIMITER? the crappiness of mercedes is the only LIMITER. try putting in a six speed manual or a seven speed gearbox, then you would get some sick speed like the Italians figured out to do

12. Re: GOD DAMN THE SPEED LIMITER!!

how can tires increase speed by 22 mph? dont piss in my ear and tell me its raining

13. Re: GOD DAMN THE SPEED LIMITER!!

depending on the tires the speed can be increased a great amount

14. Re: GOD DAMN THE SPEED LIMITER!!

I agree. The SL 600 has the speed governed to 155mph as well. A car with 300+hp should be able to get a top speed of at least 165mph in my mind. But then again, the new 2004 Z06 has a top speed of only 171mph while the base Corvette is 175mph. What's up with that?

15. Re: GOD DAMN THE SPEED LIMITER!!

The Z06 is slower than the base model because it has a shorter rearend ratio. The top speed of all manual C5 vettes is in 5th gear at redline. They threw in shorter rearend gears to help get some more acceleration out of the car.

And for the tires. The tires on an SL55 have a Y-speed rating. Which means that that tire is only rated to go 186 mph for a givin amount of time safely. Race tires usually have alot stiffer sidewall, therefore, the tire doesn't flex as much, which in then doesn't create as much heat in the sidewall to blow the sidewall out. There is also alittle more rolling resistance in street tires. But usually magazines ignore tire speed ratings when they do top speed tests, and fly right by them!

16. Re: GOD DAMN THE SPEED LIMITER!!

If you have less rolling resistance with tires(z rated) then more speed can be had. Larger Rims and or tires will be better for top-speed.
    your quote makes me laugh. With you not at you....

17. Re: GOD DAMN THE SPEED LIMITER!!

Actually, the Z06 has lower top speed compared to a regular Vette because of all the aerodynamic glitches, like wider tires, brake ducts, and such. It has the same rearend gear ratio, but the first two gears in the tranny have shorter ratios. I can't recall the exact numbers, but the first gear ratio in a normal Vette is somewhere near 2.66:1, whereas the Z06 has a gear ratio of around 2.9:1. The last four gears and the rearend gear ratio are the same.

18. Nice thread. lol

19. you're an idiot

20. yep. you're still an idiot

21. weight has little-to-no bearing on top speed, provided you're on a flat road.