good car for the money, but there are better choices

Discussion in '2000 Dodge Viper GTS-R Concept' started by Proteinbeast, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Re: screw this gimme my lambo

Actually dodge reliability is quite good. The parent company DaimlerChystler is german and it is also owns Mercedes-Benz and MB's are pretty good on reliability.

2. Re: screw this gimme my lambo

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from xebec</i>
    <b>for the price, the viper is a hell of a bargain. i will be the first to admit that. the reliability of the viper does exceed that of any lambo, since the 8.0L engine is hardly pushing it's limits in stock form. that is the one advantage to huge displacement for less than impressive horsepower. the lambo, on the other hand, has that x-factor that warrants it's astronomical price tag. something about driving a lambo that could never be felt in a dodge (i wish i knew this first-hand...). i realize i'm probably just reiterating what other people have already said since i'm too lazy to read the rest of the thread. anyways, give me a 911 turbo...gotta go german </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Yeah i agree with most of what you said, it is a bargain for the speed you get out of it. But speed isnt everything and Lamborghini and the other European heavyweights do have some sort of "x-factor" or some sort of just dominating presence. I have seen a Lamborghini in person and there is just an overwhelming feeling you get just watching it in action and i cant believe what a joy it must be to get behind the wheel of one. and yeah i have to give props to the german engineering found in the 911 turbo, that is a very nice car<!-- Signature -->

3. Re: screw this gimme my lambo

damn straight son<!-- Signature -->

4. i say screw that lambo up your ass

lambos are basically concept because of their price and because of the fuel that goes right up the middle of its ass

SWEET CAR

BMW RULEZ<!-- Signature -->

5. whats with changing the name of the thread? can i start a discussion about cars without being insulted?<!-- Signature -->

6. Re: screw this gimme my lambo

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from 2003SVTCobra</i>
    <b>This thing looks like a #$%#ing rc car compared to the Diablo. When i look at it im expecting to see an antenna wire sticking out the back The Diablo can beat anything that Dodge has to offer in class, craftsmanship, styling, and performance. And for god sake dont bring up that rediculous hennessey thing. I wouldnt go into the Ferrari vs. Lamborghini comparison cause thats a close call, but if you would take an unreliable, piece of shit dodge over a finely hand crafted Italian classic, you should have your head examined</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->Are you an idiot? If you like the lambo so much, then fine. Go to the lambo forum and post there, stay out of our forum.<!-- Signature -->

7. Re: screw this gimme my lambo

the lambo is just an example, i could have posted something about a ferrari or porsche. Im just trying to say that there are german and italian cars far superior in overall quality to the viper<!-- Signature -->

8. Re: screw this gimme my lambo

Yes, and they are all
    1) Much more expensive OR
    2) Much slower.

And you talk about reliability and Ferraris in one breath? Ha!
    BTW, how many Lamborghinis are driven hard at the track? How many do more than 3,000 miles a year. How many have covered over 50,000 miles?

9. Re: screw this gimme my lambo

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from 2003SVTCobra</i>
    <b>the lambo is just an example, i could have posted something about a ferrari or porsche. Im just trying to say that there are german and italian cars far superior in overall quality to the viper</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->Don't come in here spamming your Diablo BS. This is a $70,000 car. How much is your diablo? Thats what I thought. How fast is this compared to the Diablo? Yeah kid, just as I thought. Now scram.<!-- Signature -->

10. Re: screw this gimme my lambo

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from tiger005</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from sparetire</i>
    <b>Name any production car under under 100K that can take the Viper at the track or strip. They do exist, but they are few and far between. Sorry, but I will take a Lambo over a Viper too, for occasional use. For daily driving, Viper all the way. Lambos have always been quite uncomfortable, even boyond the Viper. Compare The New Lambo to the Saleen. Similar Power, but the Saleen weight 1000 POUNDS less. The new Lambo is a 4000 lb car! So dont go and compare this to it when the Saleen, a true Lambo competitor is out there.
    The next Viper is going to be faster, and its going to handle even better, with better aerodynamics too. so wait and see folks. The ACR version will have 520 hp, and run about 90K.The car deseves respect. I mean, people compare it to cars costing over 3X as much and its still argueable! Thats impressive!</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->
    TVR tuscan S would whoop this, and so would the Lotus Esprit.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

WTF? The STOCK Viper would absolutely demolish those cars at the track. The Tuscan S would be a challenge at the track, but the Esprit would be left FAR behind. This Viper would kill them.

BTW, there is no faster car in the world under $100,000 than the Viper. It is the best track car you can buy under $100,000 as well. Unless you consider the 1000 pound kit cars you build yourself.<!-- Signature -->

11. Re: screw this gimme my lambo

It's well known that R&T are slow-ass testers. They routinely test the Viper (and the Z06) at their ultra-high (1000+ foot elevation) test site. In the case of the ACR, they tested it at 90-degrees Fahrenheit. In the case of the F50, they tested it at 115 foot elevation in Italy, in 75-degree weather. In any case, they estimated that F50's top speed to be only 190 mph given the gearing. That's 3 mph SLOWER than the fastest stock Viper recorded.

And if you really think 12.5 in the quarter mile is truly representative of the GTS-R's time, take a look below.

12. Re: screw this gimme my lambo

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from SLP CamaroSS</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from 2003SVTCobra</i>
    <b>the lambo is just an example, i could have posted something about a ferrari or porsche. Im just trying to say that there are german and italian cars far superior in overall quality to the viper</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->Don't come in here spamming your Diablo BS. This is a $70,000 car. How much is your diablo? Thats what I thought. How fast is this compared to the Diablo? Yeah kid, just as I thought. Now scram.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

How the hell is this car $70,000?? Not only is it a concept prototype, but only 1 example has been made to date. Whether or not plans for production are in store, i do not know. one thing i do know is that this car is not $70,000. Besides, he was mentioning more than just speed when comparing it to a lambo, he was making an issue of overall craftsmanship, style and class. and for the record the viper 8.0L v10 that you adore so much was constructed by lambo intended originally for a lambo truck/suv. maybe you should take down your confederate flag and get on the right side of the mason-dixon line. the union won you know. <!-- Signature -->

13. Re: screw this gimme my lambo

yeah the lambo is over $300,000 for a reason, its quality made and wont fall apart like that pos dodge. And one of you asked how fast is the lambo compared to this? Well the VT is this same 0-60 and the VTTT beats it by 6 tenths of a second. Anyway this viper isnt $70,000 maybe the RT/10 is but definitely not this one<!-- Signature -->

14. Re: screw this gimme my lambo

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from xebec</i>
    <b>and for the record the viper 8.0L v10 that you adore so much was constructed by lambo intended originally for a lambo truck/suv.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->
    No, it was intended for the Dodge Ram (which did in fact receive a version of the V10). Dodge (which owned Lambo at the time) gave them an engine, made from 2 5.9-liter Ram V8's frankenstein'd together. The agreement was that from this prototype, Lambo would produce 5 running engines, each with outstanding horsepower and reliability. Lambo gave them only one and the design allowed for good power, but horrible reliability. That's when the teams separated, and Dodge had to engineer back in the reliability. And that is partially why to this day the Viper's engine is available with a 7-year warranty, and has withstood numerous endurance races in various states of tune. What kind of endurance record does Lamborghini have? And what kind of warranty?

It helps to see things in perspective.

15. Re: screw this gimme my lambo

Name any production car under under 100K that can take the Viper at the track or strip. They do exist, but they are few and far between. Sorry, but I will take a Lambo over a Viper too, for occasional use. For daily driving, Viper all the way. Lambos have always been quite uncomfortable, even boyond the Viper. Compare The New Lambo to the Saleen. Similar Power, but the Saleen weight 1000 POUNDS less. The new Lambo is a 4000 lb car! So dont go and compare this to it when the Saleen, a true Lambo competitor is out there.
    The next Viper is going to be faster, and its going to handle even better, with better aerodynamics too. so wait and see folks. The ACR version will have 520 hp, and run about 90K.The car deseves respect. I mean, people compare it to cars costing over 3X as much and its still argueable! Thats impressive!<!-- Signature -->

16. Re: screw this gimme my lambo

whenever i post something negative about the viper people think im anti-american cars. i love mustangs, i love corvettes, i like camaros, i think firebirds are ok. i like all these cars but i just think that dodge isnt a very good carmaker and ive read time and time again in car magazines, including Road & Track that the viper isnt very reliable and that the engine is very sensitive<!-- Signature -->

17. Re: screw this gimme my lambo

The hell are you talking about? R&T said the Viper's engine is more maintenance-intensive than MOST cars, but is LESS SO compared to the superexotics (Ferrari, Lambo, etc.) Read that Viper Used Car Classic again.
    And read Evo's Corvette and Viper Buyer's Guide as well.

18. Re: screw this gimme my lambo

well i cant find the issue that said that about the engine but all i remember is that on the front cover it had the 2003 Viper in red<!-- Signature -->

19. Re: screw this gimme my lambo

for the price, the viper is a hell of a bargain. i will be the first to admit that. the reliability of the viper does exceed that of any lambo, since the 8.0L engine is hardly pushing it's limits in stock form. that is the one advantage to huge displacement for less than impressive horsepower. the lambo, on the other hand, has that x-factor that warrants it's astronomical price tag. something about driving a lambo that could never be felt in a dodge (i wish i knew this first-hand...). i realize i'm probably just reiterating what other people have already said since i'm too lazy to read the rest of the thread. anyways, give me a 911 turbo...gotta go german <!-- Signature -->

20. Re: screw this gimme my lambo

Someone in this forum said a lot about the build quality of a viper against a Lamborghini
    A Lamborghini costs $300K
    A Dodge Viper costs $70K (granted the stock Viper)

And drew the following conclusion:
    a Viper is a piece of crap!!

7 years on a warranty is a long time, you better have some serious balls to offer such a lengthy period.

i can only add the following
    most luxury Euro cars cost +$40K
    Average Toyota costs $20K (give or take a few)
    Conclusion:
    There must be million plus Toyota Owners that have been really pissed off with Toyota all these years.

I'm taking my Toyota back first thing Monday morning for a full refund, then i'm going to Italian Autos for my finely crafted piece of machinery, since it costs so bloody much, it should be better!!

21. Re: screw this gimme my lambo

<b>yeah the lambo is over $300,000 for a reason, its quality made and wont fall apart like that pos dodge. And one of you asked how fast is the lambo compared to this? Well the VT is this same 0-60 and the VTTT beats it by 6 tenths of a second. Anyway this viper isnt $70,000 maybe the RT/10 is but definitely not this one</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->
    i agree with you dude but this sounds so funny coming from someom=ne with a name like your. no offence but all american cars are the same. like you said the viper is a peice of shit, i agree but.... so do cobra's!<!-- Signature -->

22. Re: screw this gimme my lambo

i already said in a previous reply that i could have written something about a Ferrari or Porsche, dont just single out the lamborghini. and i would write one about one of those but im feeling kind of lazy right now, im gonna go watch gone in 60 seconds for the 100th time, maybe ill get some inspiration. favorite scene from the movie- beginning where the silver porsche blows away the tricked up honda civic<!-- Signature -->

23. Re: screw this gimme my lambo

<b>This thing looks like a #$%#ing rc car compared to the Diablo. When i look at it im expecting to see an antenna wire sticking out the back The Diablo can beat anything that Dodge has to offer in class, craftsmanship, styling, and performance. And for god sake dont bring up that rediculous hennessey thing. I wouldnt go into the Ferrari vs. Lamborghini comparison cause thats a close call, but if you would take an unreliable, piece of shit dodge over a finely hand crafted Italian classic, you should have your head examined</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE --> dude, ur gay as hell, other ppl have their own opinions, just shutup asshole

24. Re: screw this gimme my lambo

whats your point? i have an opinion too, i never said that anyones opinion wasnt valid. and by the way do you see me insulting people with profanity? why dont you write something intelligent to back up your opinion about this car instead of just brainless insults
    <!-- Signature -->

25. Re: screw this gimme my lambo

the viper is built terribly. 2003svtcobra knows what he's talking about. how can you call a viper a reliable and long lasting, well built car? the block isnt even zinc lined. do u know why it isnt? its to cut costs. so lets say the engine was zinc lined...add about 8 grand to the cost. the clutch is pretty cheap to. give it a decent clutch and thats another 3 grand. so this viper goes from around $90,000 to over $100,000. i would much rather have a Corvette Z06. thats a car thats built to last and can perform. put $50,000 into it so it would be a $100,000 just as the viper would be if it was built well and now whats the better car? the vette. with 50 grand put into it it would crush any viper and im not even sure it would be street legal with all the power it would get. even put 20 grand into the corvette so its the same price ans the $70,000 viper and it would crush that one too. it would even be comparable to the 90 grand viper except for in one category. its well built and the viper just isnt. unless you know the facts dont talk about the viper being a great car. i admit, it does have good exterior styling(although the 92-02 models looked so much more badass) but other that that it sucks