got some new wheels for my FD RX7

Discussion in 'Modified / Tuned Cars' started by got hp, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Actually only the Mercedes in the next unit, that I've seen on a daily basis at least.

Your only option is bare sheet metal.

2. wow, that sucks bawls man.

I've always wanted a VR4 in white. To bad they are real expensive due to their rarity here ($31k cdn). Most of the 3kgt's here are older imported ones with pop up's and rhd, which looses appeal to me real fast. Most of the newer lhd ones are in decent shape, but are really rare (don't think I've ever even seen a VR4).

3. i want 500-550rwhp on pump gas.

the 1JZ will do that power level cheaper and with better daily drivability than the LS. id also mention the better gas mileage, but i really dont give a #$%# about gas mileage.

ill be doing some weightsaving mods on the car to help offset the heavier engine, my car will still be under 3000lbs, which is significantly lighter than the majority of sports cars with that power level.

4. #29 het, Feb 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    offsetting 200lbs. added to the front end without #$%#ing up the weight distribution even worse will be a tough task. generally you lose weight off of the rear end. If you're looking for 550rwhp, get an LS1 and chuck some nitrous on there. you can get 400rwhp+ which is just plenty for all the fun you might want, then juice it when you want to be mr. big penis sports car man.

This is a video of an FC with an LS1. The first pull is all-motor, making about 380rwhp. The second pull is with a 150-shot of nitrous. If this isn't fast enough for you, might I suggest a motorcycle? -

5. that looks very nice.

6. Awesome looking car. I'd love to do one, but I've pretty much decided my next project will be stripped down Miata.

I have to go with Snooboo though. I'd rather have a 400RWHP car that is 200 lb. lighter then a 500RWHP car that is 200lb. heavier unless it is a drag car. Besides, Supras tend to be dyno queens anyway with their HP rarely matching their slips.

How much is a 1JZ motor and does it really get better gas mileage? I have a friend that just finished an Olds 442 (4,000 lb.) with 6.2L LS with a massive cam, 4L80E, and 440 RWHP, and gets 22 mpg. Granted, he drives like a granny, but still....

7. Awesome looking car. I'd love to do one, but I've pretty much decided my next project will be stripped down Miata.

I have to go with Snooboo though. I'd rather have a 400RWHP car that is 200 lb. lighter then a 500RWHP car that is 200lb. heavier unless it is a drag car. Besides, Supras tend to be dyno queens anyway with their HP rarely matching their slips.

How much is a 1JZ motor and does it really get better gas mileage? I have a friend that just finished an Olds 442 (4,000 lb.) with 6.2L LS with a massive cam, 4L80E, and 440 RWHP, and gets 22 mpg. Granted, he drives like a granny, but still....

8. #33 got hp, Feb 4, 2009
    1jz approx 500-550lbs with all accessories (this includes the stock twins and heavy cast manifold, which i will be replacing with a stainless single manifold)
    ls2 approx 430-450lbs with all accessories

so overall probably about a 100lb difference......not that big a deal.

i already daily drove a car with 415rwhp for quite a while....that power level is boring to me.....i need MOAR

i only have two car buddies that i hang out with in person and their cars have 850rwhp and 1000rwhp (which is right now being rebuilt for 1300rwhp).......so even with 550rwhp i will still be the "slow" one in our group.

and i have no interest in nitrous.......i want ALL my power available at ANY time.....no screwing with filling bottles and checking tank pressure. not to mention a nitrous bottle would take up literally all of an FD trunk.

plus since i goto a lot of car meets and shows, it will be nice to have something more unique....ive already run into a few LS swaps around, but as far as i know there is only one 2JZ swap in miami, and i havent seen/heard of any others.

9. the only supras that are dyno queens are the ones with stupid owners that choose a turbo too big. properly sized turbo will spool low and have a good power band.

well a maxed out heads/cam ls2 will make about 485ish rwhp (give or take 15 depending on how extreme you get)...and while it will be fine on highway driving, its a pig around town on gas. my 415rw LT1 used to get about 25 highway, but about 12 city, haha.

the turbo I6 will be similar on the highway, but city driving i can stay out of boost and that is where the difference is, most people seemed to get about 16-18 depending on tuning.

but like i said.......i really dont care much about the gas mileage, that is just an added bonus.

10. I say go for the 1JZ

11. What's the price of a 1JZ?

12. sorry guys I had to

13. #38 84FordMan, Feb 4, 2009
  14. haha

15. complete 1JZ with manual tranny $2500-3000
    $3k on top of that can get me over 500-550rwhp (installing fuel system and single turbo myself)

complete LS2 with manual tranny $5500-6000 ($4500-5000 if you step down to LS1)
    $4k on top of that gets me 485ish rwhp (installing heads/cam/rockers etc myself)

both transmissions can handle the power ill have, and clutches for both setups run about the same price, so thats a non-issue.

16. The 1JZ might be the way to go then, but I can tell you your prices for the LS1 are pretty high. Are you talking new or used?

17. Really nice car!

What other mods have got aside from the wheels?

18. PLEASE tell me that you own the car in your avatar

19. Yep nice isn't it? (j/k)