grand am

Discussion in '2004 Pontiac GTO' started by 2003 ss R, Aug 10, 2002.

1. Re: grand am

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from aftermath001</i>
    <b>this looks like and rear wheel grand am
    </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->No it doesn't it looks like a pontiac and holden put together.<!-- Signature -->

2. Re: grand am

no it looks like a grand am, sunfire, bonneville mixed with an ls1.

<!-- Signature -->

3. Re: grand am

This is not just a grand am, sunfire, bonneville with an LS1. It looks nothing like them. It is a Holden Monaro with a different body kit

4. Re: grand am

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from HsvRule</i>
    <b>This is not just a grand am, sunfire, bonneville with an LS1. It looks nothing like them. It is a Holden Monaro with a different body kit</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->Yes I agree.<!-- Signature -->

5. Re: grand am

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from camaro</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from HsvRule</i>
    <b>This is not just a grand am, sunfire, bonneville with an LS1. It looks nothing like them. It is a Holden Monaro with a different body kit</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->Yes I agree.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

good you guys just proved my argument. this IS a holden monera with a body kit. you two just agreed on that. IT is NOT a GTO, other than a badge that GM puts on it.<!-- Signature -->

6. Re: grand am

Yes i know it is a Monaro with a body kit. Whats wrong with that? the Monaro is a great car

7. Re: grand am

looks like a great sports car to me gm wudve thought so too theyre gunna do lotsa shiyt check it out:

"General Motors Press Release 8:00 a.m EST June 20, 2002

Pontiac Confirms GTO Production

DETROIT —

General Motors and its Australian division, Holden, have completed an agreement to return the legendary Pontiac GTO to U.S. highways in late 2003 as a 2004 model. Holden will produce up to 18,000 of the modern, high-performance coupes each year at its Elizabeth plant.

Bob Lutz, Chairman of GM's North American Operations, was a key player in bringing back the GTO as a modern interpretation of the legendary muscle car. After he drove the Holden Monaro during a recent trip to Australia, he knew he had found a vehicle to serve as the basis for the new GTO. "I love driving this car," Lutz said, raving about the Monaro's 5.7-liter V8, 6-speed manual transmission. "It shares that V8 heritage and a brawny, muscular stance with the classic GTO, and it will make a fine flagship for Pontiac.

The addition of the 2004 GTO to the Pontiac lineup is a giant step in Pontiac's mission to contemporize the way it expresses excitement for the 21st century. "We want to focus on creating vehicles with a clean, fresh expression of Pontiac styling and provide our customers with a 'total performance' package that delivers both impressive power and superior handling," said Lynn Myers, Pontiac-GMC general manager.

"In the 2003 model year, we have the all-new Vibe® and the fresh look of the restyled Sunfire® and Grand Am® SE. We are following that with the totally redesigned 2004 Grand Prix® in the first quarter of 2003," said Myers. "The introduction of the new GTO in late 2003 will be the 'exclamation point" on the exciting evolution of the division, moving Pontiac performance to the next level."

2004 PONTIAC GTO

The 2004 Pontiac GTO will share much of the sculpted and clean styling of the current 2002 Holden Monaro CV8 coupe, with unique Pontiac brand character, including a dual-port grille and powered by a specially tuned version of the 5.7-liter LS1 V8 (shared with some models of the Chevrolet® Corvette®) mated to a choice of either a 6-speed manual or 4-speed automatic transmission. The rear-wheel-drive coupe will feature 17" alloy wheels, 2+2 bucket seating, and a premium sound system with an integrated 6-disc CD changer. Additional performance and feature details are still being finalized and will be released closer to the public unveiling of the GTO at the Los Angeles and North American International Auto Shows.

HOLDEN MONARO

The Holden Monaro was originally introduced in 1968 and was immediately lauded as the ultimate high-performance coupe. It was the first all-Australian sports coupe of its type. Strong public sentiment led Holden officials to bring back the Monaro name for its all-new 2001 coupe. Monaro became an instant classic when it was released in Australia last October and has become the most high-profile, sought-after car on Australian roads today.

GTO HISTORY

The Pontiac GTO sprang to life in 1963 as a 1964 model. It has been called the most famous muscle car in the high-performance automobile history. Also known as "The Legend" and "The Great One," GTO is the car that started it all.

Prior to 1964, performance cars were full-size hardtops and sedans with the largest displacement engines available. But, hot rodders had known for years that they could go faster if you put big engines in smaller, lighter cars. Engine swaps were standard operating procedure for this level of car buff, but that was backyard tinkering, not corporate engineering.

Driving enthusiasts' dreams came true in October of 1963 when the $299.95 GTO option, RPO W62, quietly joined the 1964 Pontiac Tempest®/LeMans® option list. The heart of the original GTO option package was a 325-horsepower 389-cubic-inch V8, a Carter AFB four-barrel carburetor, rear-wheel drive, a hydraulic camshaft, and impressive torque. Other standard features included a heavy duty clutch, heavy duty suspension, dual exhaust, US Royal red-line tires, a 3.23:1 rear axle ratio, twin hood scoops, and an assortment of GTO emblems.

Before Pontiac ceased production after the 1974 model year, nearly 700,000 GTOs were sold."

8. Re: grand am

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from HsvRule</i>
    <b>Yes i know it is a Monaro with a body kit. Whats wrong with that? the Monaro is a great car</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

nothing is wrong with the monero when you're saying it's a monero. the problem i have is that bob lutz drives the car and thinks, i could rebadge this for america! oh all the money we will make! what should i call it? hmmm...oh i know, the new GTO.

it's the poor handling of an american icon that disturbs me. it should be an origanl, like it's namesake.<!-- Signature -->

9. Re: grand am

Actually Holden is a GM network branch in Australia so GM has marketing rights to the Monaro. SO all they did was make an American versian with 50 more hp and decided beacue they needed the GTO to have a comeback that that car would have made a great base to work on. They didn't steal it from some other company!!<!-- Signature -->

10. Re: grand am

Just this new GTO is just a Holden with a reworked front end and an LS1. Sure the power is there, but no classic cues from 60s and 70s GTO's. It looks like a boring family car.<!-- Signature -->

11. Re: grand am

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from SSCamaroSS</i>
    <b>Actually Holden is a GM network branch in Australia so GM has marketing rights to the Monaro. SO all they did was make an American versian with 50 more hp and decided beacue they needed the GTO to have a comeback that that car would have made a great base to work on. They didn't steal it from some other company!!</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

i never said they stole it at all. what they did is the same thing as taking a grand prix and rebadging it after some cosmetic surgery.

the legendary GTO deserves more.<!-- Signature -->

12. Re: grand am

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from rex4ev</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from camaro</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from HsvRule</i>
    <b>This is not just a grand am, sunfire, bonneville with an LS1. It looks nothing like them. It is a Holden Monaro with a different body kit</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->Yes I agree.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

good you guys just proved my argument. this IS a holden monera with a body kit. you two just agreed on that. IT is NOT a GTO, other than a badge that GM puts on it.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->
    what are you talking about, you make no sense

13. Re: grand am

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from rex4ev</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from camaro</i>

good you guys just proved my argument. this IS a holden monera with a body kit. you two just agreed on that. IT is NOT a GTO, other than a badge that GM puts on it.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->Yeah, well I think the new mustangs aren't mustangs they look like a$$, because they aren't quality, if you go up to one they look like they are cheap plasticy cars. The old gtos are just chevelles so I guess that the old ones aren't gtos either, because they were just chevelles with different tweeks to the body just like this. Also the mustangs are just falcons that are more powerful are you telling me that mustangs are just a falcon and not a mustang?<!-- Signature -->

14. this looks like and rear wheel grand am
    <!-- Signature -->

15. Re: grand am

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Hoseman</i>
    <b>Just this new GTO is just a Holden with a reworked front end and an LS1. Sure the power is there, but no classic cues from 60s and 70s GTO's. It looks like a boring family car.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->Do the new camaros have any classic cues from the old ones, no. What about the mustang, no(other than 3 peice tail lamps). Does the new firebird look like the old ones, no so I guess all of the new pony cars have no classic cues.<!-- Signature -->

16. Re: grand am

i've allready said this before, but i must have to repeat myself. the camaro and mustang have been in production for many years and have had time to gradually evolve. this is not the case with the GTO.<!-- Signature -->

17. Re: grand am

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from camaro</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Hoseman</i>
    <b>Just this new GTO is just a Holden with a reworked front end and an LS1. Sure the power is there, but no classic cues from 60s and 70s GTO's. It looks like a boring family car.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->Do the new camaros have any classic cues from the old ones, no. What about the mustang, no(other than 3 peice tail lamps). Does the new firebird look like the old ones, no so I guess all of the new pony cars have no classic cues.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Are you kidding? Everything about the car is reminiscent of older mustangs. The corral surrounding the pony on the grill, the overall style and blockiness like the ’69-’70s, the hood scoop, side vents, intimidating front end with black out lights, torq thrust wheels, all the special editions, bullit and the mach 1. And another thing which you do not get, the trans am and mustang and the camaro too LOOK like sports/muscle cars. The GTO absolutely does not.

<b> Yeah, well I think the new mustangs aren't mustangs they look like a$$, because they aren't quality, if you go up to one they look like they are cheap plasticy cars. The old gtos are just chevelles so I guess that the old ones aren't gtos either, because they were just chevelles with different tweeks to the body just like this. Also the mustangs are just falcons that are more powerful are you telling me that mustangs are just a falcon and not a mustang?
    </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

WTF? The mustang had the same platform as the Falcon for a couple years, it wasn’t the SAME CAR, a muscle car, a pony car, not a family car like the GTO. Plasticy? How so? Ever been in the inside of a camaro/ta?<!-- Signature -->

18. Re: grand am

lol. i have to agree with hoseman on this.<!-- Signature -->

19. Re: grand am

How is the GTO a "family car"?<!-- Signature -->

20. Re: grand am

Yes it is plasticy look at the freaking scoops they are fake. I guess your not upset that the freaking mustang is based on the falcon so why be upset that this is based on the monaro the mustang evolved so will this.<!-- Signature -->

21. Re: grand am

<b>Yes it is plasticy look at the freaking scoops they are fake. I guess your not upset that the freaking mustang is based on the falcon so why be upset that this is based on the monaro the mustang evolved so will this.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Ok, I never said the hood scoops weren't fake. Now tell me whats 'platicy'?<!-- Signature -->

22. Re: grand am

lol. the mustang looks ten times more the muscle car than this "GTO" does.<!-- Signature -->