Grand Prix GT

Discussion in '1997 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP' started by Mtrlguy, Aug 10, 2002.

1. What's up all.....Pontiac kicks ...well you know...

I am the lucky owner of a 98 gt.....i want to add ram-air/cold air induction....any tips and/or estimates of how this could be done?

2. Re: Grand Prix GT

well if you look at the GTX it has a ram air hood.... this can be bought straight from pontiac but if you want to do that I suggest first looking into supercharging it my parents own a GTP and it can hold it's own against my manual 5.0l 94 Mustang

3. Re: Grand Prix GT

so, i would get the gtx hood, and supercharger......any imparticular models needed for compatability?

the GT model can hold it's own vs. a 94 talon, suped up to the brim at 12.5 compression......i was quite impressed, but it would be nice to dust the talon.....

also the u-bend in the exhaust systemtakes away a good 46 bhp......the O2 sensor is placed vertically and requires the exhaust to bend around it......if i mounted the O2 sensor horizontally, in theory I can increase my flow with custom exhaust couldn'n i?

4. Re: Grand Prix GT

I own a Grand Prix GTP and I can tell you right off the bat you can't put a supercharger on that GT. The trans on the GT can't handle the torque from the supercharger. Try looking up more on the trans, I've researched this extensively and I know the GT has a same trans as basic grand prix, see if their is a way to beef up the trans first before you throw a supercharger on top. Also go for a higher psi supercharger (if you get the trans to take it), the GTP supercharger only puts out like 8 because of an oversized pulley (which I'm working on replacing). The engine on the other hand can easily handle anything you throw at it, estimated to be able to handle 420+ hp without any additions to the engine itself, the things tough as nails. You can find just about anything you need at grandprixstore.com for performance (the U-bend replacement is there) and that adds about 10hp, but it also requires moving the sensor to a horizontal position. Don't worry about the cat, it's one of the best already on the car. Replace the entire cat-back for some serious improvements, grandprixstore.com lists some packages available. The ram air hood is available through a few but the one on the GTX is from SLP.

5. Re: Grand Prix GT

well that's a kick in the teeth......upgrading a tranny costs a bunch dosen't it?

I also heard from a gm employee that the 3800 V6 can be bored out to increase flow and power dramatically {something about a flaw in the intakes}

but that's for the super-experienced.....and of course voids any warranty.....

thanks for the helpwell that's a kick in the teeth......upgrading a tranny costs a bunch dosen't it?

I also heard from a gm employee that the 3800 V6 can be bored out to increase flow and power dramatically

but that's for the super-experienced.....and of course voids any warranty.....

thanks for the help

6. Re: Grand Prix GT

but any kind of mod will void the warrenty like the hood make sure too look into to that before you start doing mods.....and this engine is a tank before our GTP we had a 1993 bonneville SSEI and it never had a problem in 7 years that we had it.....oh and it was supercharged and was soooo fast for a car as big as it

7. Re: Grand Prix GT

The hood won't void the warranty i asked about that. According to a gm guy adding parts to things outside the engine won't void them either... things like cold air, exhaust (except for headers), etc... wont void it. Things like superchargers, pulleys, and turbos will.

The thing is tho the engine is a strong mother #$%#er so you wont need to worry to much about the warranty unless you do bore it out or mess with the heads or a valve job or something the engine wasn't designed for.

Some good upgrades for the warranty peeps would be cold air/ram air, cat-back exhaust, chip (with a re-program done at a gm dealer), trans chip, and a trans shift kit would do a little. None of these will make it fly but it will help out a bunch.

Also remember you can always have gm rebuild the engine with a new warranty if you do decide to play around and screw things up.

8. Re: Grand Prix GT

this engine is tough but it caN break down...but my family has had 2 already with no problems with either....with the exception of an alternator (that was 7 years old)

9. Re: Grand Prix GT

could i get GM to raise the electronic limitation without alerting authorities?

10. Re: Grand Prix GT

I wish just get an MSD distubuter

11. Re: Grand Prix GT

I've raced maximas over and over again and I beat them all the time. The real time is not 6.8, more in the 6.0 area... If I can beat a grand national (and I can have the guy come on here and vouch for it) I can deffinetly waste a maxima. Try racing against someone who actually knows how to drive a FF with 280 torque...

12. Re: Grand Prix GT

well it's not that hard to race this and I know I have one ...they're auto it's simple it's almost step and go....But that Grand national driver must be bad cause those cars run low 13's well at least the 87 GNX

13. #13 rixochet, Aug 10, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    Re: Grand Prix GT

These are not exactly step and go. Got one? Go try it... You won't get traction for a lil while... Not to mention the pull to either side, mine goes right... I had a friend stomp on it and he ended up in the next lane

As for the 86 GN, I can go on and on about it, but I'll switch to the mustang gt (4.6) I toasted with 3 other peeps in my car. Family sedan is such an understatement. I think that guy went home and cried...

I think this is an issue of under rating for insurance reasons or maybe the guy who had mine before me did something, who knows...

On a side note, anyone who owns one of these go get a k&n, 2nd gear is much more fun now... Also check out www.grandprixstore.com

14. Re: Grand Prix GT

I don't have a Grand Prix but my friend does. I think it's an outstanding car. 0-60 in 6.8 seconds is great for such a big car, not to mention it looks awesome. It's also reasonably priced too.<!-- Signature -->

15. Re: Grand Prix GT

It you need your grand prix gt to go fast get new headers. That gives almost 30hp. I have a 99 gt it nice and iam tring to get new mods on it. I have seen one with nos in it. It's a joke but why not.

16. Re: Grand Prix GT

yea ive raced a lil my self ad if you just mash it youll get wasted

17. Re: Grand Prix GT

If anyone knows where i can get some euro tail lights for a 2000 GP GT could ya plase let me know....thanks

18. Re: Grand Prix GT

I have a GT, how can i get maximum horsepower without dishing thousands of dollars? I've heard of cold air induction kits, but they only add 'up to 10hp'. I'm looking for more like 20-50hp gain on my 2000 GP GT. Couldn't u put a turbocharger or SOMETHING to make it more powerful?

19. Re: Grand Prix GT

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Mtrlguy</i>
    <b>so, i would get the gtx hood, and supercharger......any imparticular models needed for compatability?

the GT model can hold it's own vs. a 94 talon, suped up to the brim at 12.5 compression......i was quite impressed, but it would be nice to dust the talon.....

also the u-bend in the exhaust systemtakes away a good 46 bhp......the O2 sensor is placed vertically and requires the exhaust to bend around it......if i mounted the O2 sensor horizontally, in theory I can increase my flow with custom exhaust couldn'n i?</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Talon TSI? Or Talon ESI. I would put the TSi against this, and it would win.<!-- Signature -->

20. Re: Grand Prix GT

there is no way you got 30 h/p from headers. I have the other guys headers on my gtp and i got like 10.8 hp from it. you only get 30 h/p from a cam or a 30 shot etc... Dont fill people up with your b/s. dyno test then post, dont assume!

Best cheap mods for GT:

FWI (fender well intake)cost $50

catback (custon $300-$400) or aftermarket (borla,slp, etc $500-900)

remove u-bend $50-$100

underdrive pulleys $??

PCM (computer) $300

weight reduction!!!!! (get rid of the 4 sub setup and go with 1 good one) EX. 1 Kicker Solobaric 12" & plexi box = 15 lbs. 4 junk 12's and wood box = 100 lbs or more *Fat Boys go on a diet!* They say every 100bs lost is one tenth of a sec. gained!

TIRES!!!! YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!! Cheap=cant hook = loosing time in the 1/4 mile , Expencive = hook = Better 1/4 mile time and handling! lots of choices, i like the kdw's for the street, drag radials for the track!

Best mods for the money after above is done:

50+ shot ($500 + Install $100-200)
    CAM $350 + Install $LOTS$
    Rockers $$$

21. #21 shutdown99, Jan 8, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016