Great Sports Car, Absolutely Fabulous!

Discussion in '1999 Lotus 340R' started by onLOoker, Aug 10, 2002.

1. Since this car has stopped production a year ago, a used one can be fairly cheap. I have found few 2000 Lotus 340R with 190HP mod and a lot of extra accessories for under 24K.

I have thought about buying a affordable and reliable 340R for under 22K. Then take out the engine and gearbox and replace it with a highly modified Hayabusa engine with turbocharger and a 6 speed sequencial gearbox. Swap, the clutches, brakes, and rims for carbon fiber components. HoleShot has published the figure for a highly tuned plus turbocharger for a Hayabusa engine. It puts out 400HP and 274 lb. feet of torque. Since a Hayabusa engine is lighter than a 340R in-line four engine, the weight will be reduce dramatically. In addition, like I mentioned before, swapping for carbon fiber components will drop the weight some more. i'm approximating 500-550 Kg. Can any of you imagin a 500Kg car with 400 HP/274 lb. feet of torque? The BHP per tonne is much greater than a Mclaren F1.

If anyone has gone this route, please post some messages up, thanks.<!-- Signature -->

2. Re: Great Sports Car, Absolutely Fabulous!

That would be one fabulous car !!! I'd like to see it in action.
    Unfortunately I will never be able to afford one, the danish taxes are killing me !!<!-- Signature -->

3. Re: Great Sports Car, Absolutely Fabulous!

As is British insurance. For me, (A 17 Year Old) a little Fiat Cinquecento 1Litre would be £2,000. Now that IS expensive, as the car would only cost me £1,900.

4. Re: Great Sports Car, Absolutely Fabulous!

Dax makes a lotus seven clone with that engine. The Dax would be lighter than this one, but I heard the holeshot engine only did like 370 hp. But the modifications to get the engine to work in the car would add some weight also.

5. Re: Great Sports Car, Absolutely Fabulous!

Are you joking? 400 hp in that car would shred the rear tyres! look how thin they are!

6. Re: Great Sports Car, Absolutely Fabulous!

wow, that's a pretty cool idea.
    loads of ppl haven't ever seen or heard of that car, so when u c some british snob dude u could sooooo burn him...
    but uhm,
    400 bhp on 500 kg, uhm that's like, uhm, really, really fast.
    I'd almost say it's dangerous.
    I'd take it out on the track first..
    but it's would sure be AWESOME!!!
    btw, I think this car rocks in stock too<!-- Signature -->

7. #7 LithiumProphet, Aug 10, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
  8. Re: Great Sports Car, Absolutely Fabulous!

On looker,

Um, your idea might seem like a good one on paper - maybe not in practice. I have been to the track and watched this monster in action - in both 177 and 190hp VHPD versions, it is stupidly fast - I have watched it smoke a whole stack of Ferarris on the track (355s, 360, 348TS) - simply it is able to carry so much more into, through and out of the twisty bits. The only thing I've seen get near to it is a Caterham SLR. I'm sure the Tiger Z100WR or a Westfield Megabusa would be a good test for it, but it is truly unbelievable.

I am thinking of trading in my Elise soon, and I'm testing the 340R (along with an Exige/ Elise Sport 135). Knowing the philosophy of what lotus are about, I can't imagine what on earth anyone would want more than 340bhp per ton (hence the reason for the name 340R) in a super stiff chassis like this one. But I suppose I answered my own query - I know what Lotus are about first-hand rather than reading the numbers...

Oh, and 03Jamesr - The tyres aren't as 'skinny' as you think - my Elise has 225/45/R16 on the back - the 340R, I understand are larger still, but it uses a proprietary design from Yokohama - they are track day / dry road legal 'slicks'. Ever tried the difference between slicks and proper road tyres? Makes more difference than you could imagine...

9. Re: Great Sports Car, Absolutely Fabulous!

I was fortunate enough to score a ride in one of these about a year ago, and it's something I won't forget in a hurry! Being accustomed to big power, but unfortunately, heavy cars, this little thing absolutely scared the crap out of me midway through the first sweeper. So controllable, so precise and so much fun.<!-- Signature -->

10. Re: Great Sports Car, Absolutely Fabulous!

It's beautiful. I need one. It's be nice stock but with that Holeshot engine you are talking about, it'd be perfect. 1451 lbs of pure function at it's best. 100% racetrack, baby!<!-- Signature -->

11. Re: Great Sports Car, Absolutely Fabulous!

It's great alright, but it looks like a stripped down Elise to me. It probably is the Elise platform, but since it has a four-banger, I'm not suprised by that 0-100 time or the top speed.<!-- Signature -->

12. Re: Great Sports Car, Absolutely Fabulous!

Souped up,

yes, its based on the Elise chassis. As for your comment about 0-100, you've completely missed the point. Oh dear.....

13. Re: Great Sports Car, Absolutely Fabulous!

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from Bukem</i>
    <b>Souped up,

yes, its based on the Elise chassis. As for your comment about 0-100, you've completely missed the point. Oh dear.....</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

One more

Bon courage pour les éduquer...

14. Re: Great Sports Car, Absolutely Fabulous!

could i import one to the states? how much would this cost for import fee and everything.