Gross Weight vs Kerb Weight

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Worked, Sep 3, 2004.

1. Is there a difference?

2. gross vehicle weight is the max it's suppose to carry
    curb weight is the vehicle itself

3. Is it curb or kerb? I just realised there aew 2 spellings.

4. Is it curb or kerb? I just realised there are 2 spellings.

5. You can use either kerb or curb. I've seen "curb" in US magazines and "kerb" in UK magazines.

Gross weight would be the weight of the car plus the weight of anything else inside of it when it is weighed.

Curb weight is generally the weight of the car with an empty gas tank and no people or luggage inside.

Gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) is what is stamped on the placard on the B pillar and it is the total weight of the vehicle plus its maximum rated cargo capacity.

6. Actually, "curb weight" (or "kerb weight" in Europe) is the weight of a car with a full supply of all fluids; that includes a full tank of gas.

The weight of a car without fluids is referred to as "dry weight".

"Gross weight" should really be used to refer only to the GVWR, but I've often seen it used interchangeably with "test weight", a term which magazines often use to refer to the weight of a vehicle with a driver. If I remember correctly, Road&Track calculates test weight by simply adding 190 lbs to the curb weight to take into account the weight of the average driver.

7. Kerb weight often also include a 70 kg driver, or when following European Directive 95/48/EC which specifies the kerb weight as a car in ready to drive condition with the fuel tank 90% full, a driver on board weighing 68 kg and luggage of 7 kg.

8. Good catch on the curb weight versus dry weight. I screwed that one up.

SaabJohan, I guess various magazines have different ways of determining curb weight then. I was unaware of that standard you mentioned.

9. As was I. I've never seen curb weight include the weight of a driver here in North America.