Hey can Somebody Tell me what the Northstar Engine is??

Discussion in '2002 Cadillac Cien Concept' started by badneuzLS4L, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Great looking car But I have no Idea what the whole 'Northstar' concept is about. Can somebody tell me what this means/is?

2. Re: Hey can Somebody Tell me what the Northstar Engine is??

As far as I know, its just the name of the engines that Cadillac produces to make them distinct as a Caddy engine.

-A.P. Etc

3. Re: Hey can Somebody Tell me what the Northstar Engine is??

It is Cadillac's V8. It is a very nice and very well built engine. But that what the whole Northstar engine really is.

4. Re: Hey can Somebody Tell me what the Northstar Engine is??

Alright... This is kind of tricky. You all know how the Seville and DeVille are currently front-drive? Well, if you look at a car in the "anatomically correct position" of directly down on it with the front end facing away from you and the rear facing toward you, that gives the impression of "north" in a front-drive car because the engine, drive wheels, and transmission are at the front, or "to the north." See how it works on V8 frontdrive Caddies? Well, they named their Le Mans car Northstar LMP and this car, apparently, has a Northstar XV12. Neither of these really work, so it's just a name now. But that's how it got started. Hope that helped...

5. Re: Hey can Somebody Tell me what the Northstar Engine is??

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. So, thats what it is. Thanks dawg.

6. Re: Hey can Somebody Tell me what the Northstar Engine is??

the nother star engine acually evolved from the olds quad 4.
    The quad 4 is a 4L that olds started building in 1988. the motor started as a 2.3L and as the 90's progressed to a 2.5, and then into a v6 and the northstar v8. its a really cool engine and is very efficient. the eally 4cld can put out 250hp, which doesn't seam like much today but in 89 it was pritty good for a 4 popper.<!-- Signature -->

7. Re: Hey can Somebody Tell me what the Northstar Engine is??

Four valve per cylinder computer operated!!!

8. Re: Hey can Somebody Tell me what the Northstar Engine is??

Its the big heavy thing that goes in the car to make it move...<!-- Signature -->

9. Re: Hey can Somebody Tell me what the Northstar Engine is??

LOL..Supersonic..good explaination.

Actually you are all rite =) The old 4 cyl giving 250hp NA is amazing you know. Not even the rice burner 4 cyls give off 250hp unless they rev the engine like hell as shown on the S2000 with the 240hp @ 7800rpms I think =P

As for the story, the North Star engine is the newest engine developed by GM and used only by Caddy as a flagship engine. It is technically very smoothe, sturdy, good revving, good torue, good HP, and extremely good fuel consumption for and engine it's size.
    Why it is call North Star is because as told earlier, it's a huge engine with tranny and all located in the front of the car...so speaking theoretically, Northern direction of the car =P
    Pretty cool eh?

DA PUN<!-- Signature -->

10. Re: Hey can Somebody Tell me what the Northstar Engine is??

Yah man your pretty funny
    ya fuhker

11. Re: Hey can Somebody Tell me what the Northstar Engine is??

dunno1!! , guess what the guys say above is rright!!

12. Re: Hey can Somebody Tell me what the Northstar Engine is??

eh 250 hp from 4 liters is not really amazing. maybe above average Anyway here's an interesting fact(and i really don't want to get into an argument here i just think its rather funny), back in the day when the first catalytic converters were required in the US to cut emissions, the once potent caddy v8 made only 100hp with the evil device! damn emissions laws!

13. Re: Hey can Somebody Tell me what the Northstar Engine is??

Oh what is amazing about the Quad 4 is this(it seemed to slip my mind in the previous post) it was created in 1987 in a prototype called the Oldsmobile Aerotech I, which used a twin turbo version making 850hp! with this engine the Aerotech I reached speeds of up to 267mph in 1987! so from this origial design the quad 4 eventually reached production, with far less power and no turbochargers unfortunately.

14. Re: Hey can Somebody Tell me what the Northstar Engine is??

but it did make 230hp with a supercharger - it was not normally aspirated

15. Re: Hey can Somebody Tell me what the Northstar Engine is??

Yeah..
    since GM is closing down the Oldsmobile line,
    maybe they should dedicate a division for performance sedans and coupes with a different name.
    I mean..imagine a redesigned road legal Aerotech =P

DA PUN<!-- Signature -->