Holden “will always have a V8 sports car"

Discussion in 'Other Countries' started by SupraMan, Apr 29, 2015.

1. #1 SupraMan, Apr 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    Holden “will always have a V8 sports car”

http://www.caradvice.com.au/351399/holden-will-always-have-a-v8-sports-car/

We know that Holden is working on bringing some form of V8-powered sports car to Australia, but the brand has now stated it “will always have a V8 sports car”.

Following on from our report earlier this year in which General Motors’ executive vice president of international operations Stefan Jacoby confirmed Holden will offer a two-door sports coupe – likely the new-generation Camaro, which is set to be revealed on May 16 – the Lion brand’s executive director of sales, Peter Keley, has suggested that a V8-powered sports car is engrained in the identity that Holden has developed over many years.

“It wouldn’t be a Holden portfolio without a V8 sports car,” Keley said.

“We’ve already made that announcement – there’s no new announcement on that and there’s lots of conjecture as to what it might be,” he said. “But Holden will always have a V8 sports car. That’s what the Holden brand has had for many decades and will have in the future.”

Keley made the statement at the local launch of the new Astra and Cascada models overnight, and while he didn’t give away a lot about what V8-powered model will effectively fill the shoes of the Holden Commodore SS when that car’s time is up in 2017, he did suggest the brand is wholly committed to offering a car that will appeal to buyers who have grown up with V8 Holdens.

“Holden is leveraging the depth of the General Motors portfolio, at the same time understanding what the Australian and New Zealand consumer wants,” he suggested.

“Our future product portfolio isn’t tied to one single source or one of the existing brands within General Motors,” he said. “The fantastic thing about Holden is that we can take the cars that we believe will best suit the consumer in the Australian market.

“So if I were Chevrolet, I’d have no other choice but to take Chevrolet products. If I’m Opel, I have no other choice but to take Opel products. We’re Holden – an Australian car company understanding Australian consumer needs – so I get to look at the whole portfolio,” Keley said.

The sales chief reaffirmed the brand’s plans to offer about one-third of its cars from Europe, but also gave away a few other source nations.

“Other cars will come from the US; other cars from Thailand; other cars from Korea. I think it’s a perfect situation, I love being in that situation,” he said.

2. It has the be the next Camaro... I doubt they will RHD the Corvette or have another SS Commodore

3. I thought Holden announced that they were getting out of the car business due to shitty sales or soemthing? Or are they just going to stop making cars in Aus?

4. just not making cars in australia. they'll still be around selling them just not making any peices for them there

5. Holden had a V8 sports car?

6. Bit of a stretch hey?

Large 'Sports' sedan*

7. There we go.

I guess to most people anything "fast" is a "sports car".

This is a sports car!

Attached Files:

8. no this is!

Attached Files:

9. I'm gonna throw up

10. this is actually a pretty sporty car when you think about it

going offroad and shit

11. Exactly what I was thinking. 4 seats = not a sports car.

Veyronman likes this.
  12. What a weird thing to say

Lotus Evora? Nissan GTR? Your sig even says you have a 2017 Porsche Turbo S!
    McLaren F1 has 3 seats. What of that?

13. None of those are sports cars. The F1 is a supercar, and doesn't follow all the rules.

My Turbo S, the GT-R are GT cars. I mean... it's even in the name of the Nissan.

14. It's been a while since we've had a discussion about these definitions. Like, 10 years, I would assume.

Aych Es Vee likes this.
  15. 2 doors 2 seats
    [​IMG]

Veyronman likes this.
  16. 1 door, do you even sport, bro?
    [​IMG]

Veyronman likes this.
  17. I'd say that specifically the Turbo S yeah you could argue is a GT car. It's the all-rounder. The way 911s have always been viewed (as a whole), i feel, is that it's a sports car.

18. As of Friday Holden ceased manufacturing at its Elizabeth plant. Where to now?There's no 'V8 sports car' for sale currently. Surely it's the Camaro that is on the horizon?

Depending on if and when Holden import the Camaro, It'd be cool to see HSV continue on and develop some in-house performance bits for the Camaro a la Tickford and its current performance upgrades for the Mustang.

As a Ford man, but more importantly as an Australian, it's a crying shame to see manufacturing gone forever, irrespective of the badge.

Long live Australian vehicle engineering.

IdoL and ETB4U like this.
  19. It's sad, but it's not a shame. There is no room for products that are not economically feasible in today's industries. For something as complex, and yet as generic, as cars, it takes a lot to succeed. You're either a giant, like Toyota, Hyundai or Ford (not Australia, obviously), or you're extremely innovative/exotic. Maybe they should move Australian manufacturing to Indonesia or something, and continue making cars with Australian DNA someplace cheaper.

20. That's semantics. I get what you're saying, but from the perspective of being one of only thirteen countries on earth who could build a vehicle from inception to rolling off the production line, our country has lost yard or two. And for that reason, I think it's a shame.

Putting politics and economic policies aside, to lose an industry which requires a vast array of skill sets in order to design, develop and produce the finished product is a damn shame for the people of this country. All we can do from this point forward is move on.

Your last sentence is basically what's happened with Ford. Ford Australia will remain an ongoing employer of around 1,500 people for R&D of all Ford's Asia Pacific vehicle development. The Ranger is designed and developed in Australia and built in Thailand.

Long live Australian ingenuity.