How about the new VW Golf VR6 GTi versus this!

Discussion in '2002 Honda Civic Type-R' started by F Enzo, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Re: How about the new VW Golf VR6 GTi versus this!

The Golf is better thats my opinion.

2. This car has around 180 and the VW has over 201 flywheel hp but is a

little heavier. I personally would take the Vdub over this but I want

other opinions. What do you think???<!-- Signature -->

3. Re: How about the new VW Golf VR6 GTi versus this!

the honda is better any day of the week. it is faster, more sporty looking and better looking, its cheaper, more reliable and has the most amaizing wheels ever.the honda has recearo racing seats pleanty of space and a great stereo. the honda will definately get more looks as people who dont know much about cars will strugle to tell the differance between a vr6 and a gti.THE HONDA IS BETTER.

4. Re: How about the new VW Golf VR6 GTi versus this!

actually, this car has 200 hp at the flywheel. but it's just as ugly as the gti. it'll be faster though.

5. Re: How about the new VW Golf VR6 GTi versus this!

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from sk8er1988</i>
    <b>This car has around 180 and the VW has over 201 flywheel hp but is a

other opinions. What do you think???</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->i really am calling BS on your VW. 680 WHP and only running 11's? havent learned to drive yet apparently. and without NOS? dont you mean nitrous oxide? N20? NOS is a company, not something that makes your car faster. i think you made that up, and id love some proof otherwise.<!-- Signature -->

6. Re: How about the new VW Golf VR6 GTi versus this!

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from buzzbomber</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from sk8er1988</i>
    <b>This car has around 180 and the VW has over 201 flywheel hp but is a

other opinions. What do you think???</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->i really am calling BS on your VW. 680 WHP and only running 11's? havent learned to drive yet apparently. and without NOS? dont you mean nitrous oxide? N20? NOS is a company, not something that makes your car faster. i think you made that up, and id love some proof otherwise.</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->
    Well why dont you go to EIP tuning.com or if you are in the area why dont you visit their facility in baltamore, EIP is approximately thirty five minutes outside of Baltimore and one hour from Washington D.C. MAybe you can find your dyno sheets there. This has only the stage 5 turbo but I think this will help.<!-- Signature -->

7. Re: How about the new VW Golf VR6 GTi versus this!

Check out that dyno sheet! mofo<!-- Signature -->

8. Re: How about the new VW Golf VR6 GTi versus this!

Also have you ever heard of Turbo lag, well with such a large turbo

your times are going to be affected. NOS is a personal favorite that

is why I said that you uncultured swine.<!-- Signature -->

9. Re: How about the new VW Golf VR6 GTi versus this!

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from sk8er1988</i>
    <b>Check out that dyno sheet! mofo</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

I thought it had 680hp, on the dyno sheet it looks more like 533, oh well, and thats with a stage 5, do they even make a stage 6 turbo? and wtf do the stages mean other than bigger increase in power?
    <!-- Signature -->

10. Re: How about the new VW Golf VR6 GTi versus this!

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from hydronugget</i>
    <b><!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from sk8er1988</i>
    <b>Check out that dyno sheet! mofo</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

I thought it had 680hp, on the dyno sheet it looks more like 533, oh well, and thats with a stage 5, do they even make a stage 6 turbo? and wtf do the stages mean other than bigger increase in power?
    </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

The HP and torque are "corrected" taking into account transmission losses etc. I think hes made the mistake of adding transmission losses to the power rather than subtracting it for power@wheels.

All of this stage stuff is BS. What it means is each stage is like a package of engine mods usually, so stage one might be a filter, zorst, bit of polishing and porting and maybe a bit of boost (on a turbo car). Stage 2 might be replacement head gasket, occasionally a bigger turbo, maybe a bit of balancing, ECU replacement etc.
    All of this stage stuff is a way of simplifying tuning for people who know little about tuning cars, so they can think "stage 1 = 50hp increase" etc. Different companies even do different mods to get the same "stages". Its all bollox.

On the power curve of that car - is it supposed to rev that hard? It just dies after about 5500 RPM (I cant remember the exact figure) Either it has a top end fuelling, ignition etc problem or it needs a bigger cam with less overlap.

11. Re: How about the new VW Golf VR6 GTi versus this!

on a dyno print out it usually says the model of the car, i dont see the model of your car on there<!-- Signature -->

12. Re: How about the new VW Golf VR6 GTi versus this!

thats all BS a civic can do high 11s with 360hp a 680hp should be doin 7s or 8s even if this was true u cant drive for beans
    thats what BS does to u try lookin good but end up a moron

13. Re: How about the new VW Golf VR6 GTi versus this!

Stage 5 turbo ?
    That's stupidity.
    I occasionally come across the odd idiot that refers to turbo sizes as that rather than their part number or code designation. There is a more or less universal turbo size designation, usually T3, T4 etc, or T04 etc... they're all equivalent between most companies.
    Anyone saying "MY CAR HAS A STAGE 4 TURBO" has been playing too much Gran Turismo, as that's what they call them in that game.<!-- Signature -->

14. Re: How about the new VW Golf VR6 GTi versus this!

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from dakillabee</i>
    <b>thats all BS a civic can do high 11s with 360hp a 680hp should be doin 7s or 8s even if this was true u cant drive for beans
    thats what BS does to u try lookin good but end up a moron</b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

probably the biggest factor with that logic is the type of tires the car is running on. that civic probably had slicks and this VW probably has street tires. but i am not sure

15. Re: How about the new VW Golf VR6 GTi versus this!

Nihilist:-

When you say T3, T4 etc, I assume you are referring to Garret turbos. The T3, T4 etc has nothing to do with the size of the turbines or the housung. The T3, T4 etc is the bit in the middle of the turbo that holds the bearings, shaft etc. So you can have a T3 that is a bigger turbo than a T4, but its very rare. I totally agree with the stage 4 etc being BULLSH IT though. Its for people that have no idea about tuning cars.

16. Re: How about the new VW Golf VR6 GTi versus this!

Yo hondas be phat yo de faster den dose cameros and mustangs american krap

17. Re: How about the new VW Golf VR6 GTi versus this!

Golf anyday, I never likes civics, and I always liked Golfs, so thats my pic, plus the golf is fast, nice lookin, roomy, 6 Speeds Manual, so thats very cool, so GOLF ALL THE WAY!!<!-- Signature -->

18. Re: How about the new VW Golf VR6 GTi versus this!

Actually, the Honda Civic Type R has 220ps (about 216-217hp), and it also has better handling.<!-- Signature -->

19. #19 200SXonsteroids, Aug 9, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    Re: How about the new VW Golf VR6 GTi versus this!

200PS 197 BHP. I got the honda leaflet thingy here.
    www.hondacivictype-r.com

20. #20 TomW, Aug 9, 2002
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    Re: How about the new VW Golf VR6 GTi versus this!

<!-- QUOTE --><center><hr width="90%"></center><blockquote><i>Quote from 200SXonsteroids</i>
    <b>200PS 197 BHP. I got the honda leaflet thingy here.
    www.hondacivictype-r.com </b></blockquote><center><hr width="90%"></center><!-- END QUOTE -->

Actually, the JDM version does have 220PS. It runs on 100 RON petrol though. It has a higher redline, and a different exhaust and ECU IIRC.

Tom

21. Re: How about the new VW Golf VR6 GTi versus this!

But the Golf GTI VR6 is a) much slower and b) has a far worse chassis. Even the faster and more expensive Golf 4Motion is slower and worse handling than the Civic Type R. About the only things in the Golf's favour are reasonable build quality and good residual values. If that's what you look for in a car, then I can see why you like it.

The original Mk1 and Mk2 Golf GTIs were good, fun hot hatches, but they've been terrible ever since. Hope for the best with the next generation...

Tom