HSV's Race Track Special: The GTSR

Discussion in 'Other Countries' started by GrimBeaver, Oct 16, 2004.

1. HSV's Race Track Special: The GTSR

You won't see Holden Special Vehicle's (HSV) latest performance coupe rumble up to the traffic lights on a Friday night, even though it's being considered for production.

HSV's objective for the eye-catching GTSR is to bring it to the race track instead of the road, in a one-make race series where all cars would be mechanically identical.

HSV learnt its lesson with the ballooning costs of the HRT 427 road car, which is now resting in the automotive hereafter.

Rather than again trying to get a massively powerful vehicle to adhere to all the ADRs (Australian Design Rules) in order for it be driven legally on the street, HSV has simply decided to create a track special with a roll cage, fat wheels, an aerodynamic bodykit and a beefed up version of the General's LS2 6.0-litre V8.

Based on the 2-door HSV Coupe/Holden Monaro bodyshell, tweaks to the body work include a new front fascia with twin 'nostrils' and aggressive xenon projector headlights, plus a unique 'active' carbon fibre spoiler adorns the boot.

The GTSR's chassis has been given a thorough once over as well, to ensure it can take a beating when its being pushed to its limits, lap after gruelling lap.

Sitting lower to the ground than other HSVs, the front struts have been replaced with adjustable Öhlins struts together with cast aluminium lower control arms, while at the rear Öhlins dampers are used.

Sitting on 19-inch ROH-branded racing alloys, with 245/35ZR19 and 275/30ZR19 aspect ratio racing tyres front and rear respectively, bigger AP racing brakes are also used.

Gigantic 374mm cross drilled carbon ceramic discs with 6 piston calipers adorn the front axles, while 343mm cast iron discs with 4 pot calipers combine to offer frightening levels of deceleration.

Lurking under the bonnet of the muscular GTSR is the same 6.0-litre LS2 V8 that ships with the new range of HSV Z Series performance cars, but rather than outputting 297kW and 530Nm like the road-going models, the Gen IV engine has been given a good tickling and now outputs a hefty 335kW @ 6200rpm and 605 Nm @ 4800rpm.

The significant increase in power was made possible thanks to a number of powertrain upgrades, including a recalibrated ECU, forged pistons with billet rods, double row timing chains and high lift camshafts, a carbon fibre cold air intake and a close ratio 6-speed manual transmission.

The standard 297kW LS2 exhaust system was also overhauled and replaced with a freer breathing system that comprises 1¾-inch stainless tubular extractors and 2½-inch stainless steel dual exhausts with trick-looking side pipes.

The practical uses for the new GTSR are wide ranging, and beyond pure promotion of the HSV brand, a one-make race series in Australia that would potentially help foster talent for the country's premier racing class - V8 Supercars - has been put forward. The 335kW beasts may also be used for racing series abroad and thrill rides on the Phillip Island race track to boot.

The name 'GTSR' and 'Malagara' were both trademarked by General Motors in Australia in September '04, and while this cements the GTSR's place on the production line, it throws another mystery into the mix. Perhaps the Malagara will be a de-tuned homologation special of the GTSR? Or maybe it's an all-new HSV model, one that sits outside the Commodore range. A manical V6 Alloytec-powered Barina perhaps?

As it stands, four GTSRs have already been ordered for Phillip Island and two for the Malaysian Grand Prix Commission's evaluation, while HSV says other possibilities include a high rollers 'reality racing' program, costing perhaps $150,000 per season to lease the cars.

Though HSV's 427 supercar sadly never made it to production, the Australian company has shown great determination in producing the GTSR, and the idea of it being a track special race car may even increase its appeal and desirability.

2. No doubt it will be an awesome car if it gets built, but it needs to have a more decent interior given that it will most likely cost 150K+

3. I don't think interior is that big of a deal, when this car is aimed at the same people who buy Carrera cup cars and other track focused cars to race in championships and tarmac rallys.

4. teh car is not aimed at people who want a nice interior. teh whole point of this car is to be a track special, not to drive every day.

i think its a good idea, but arent holden building the steamliner and clubman?

5. Holden supplies the drivetrain and the assosiated engineering for the Elfin's, and also the design which was done by Mr Simco.

But they are built at the Elfin factory.

6. ok, i thought holden owned elfin.

7. You guys do realize it isnt road legal right?

8. hmmmm..........what?

it doesnt say its not road legal. what it says is that they didnt want to make a hugely powerful car and then worry about ADRs and stuff. so they didnt make it hugely powerful.

9. "Rather than again trying to get a massively powerful vehicle to adhere to all the ADRs (Australian Design Rules) in order for it be driven legally on the street, HSV has simply decided to create a track special with a roll cage, fat wheels, an aerodynamic bodykit and a beefed up version of the General's LS2 6.0-litre V8."

10. that doesnt say it wont be road legal.

fat tyres, rollcage, bodykit, and beefed up engine doesnt make it road legal.

i might go and check up on it though.

11. it has road legal tyres, so i dont see why they would put them on if its gonna be a race track special.

12. Its not road legal. I dont like it. Im sure I could build an Ultima GTR for the same price which would make a better track car and be road legal.

13. if its not raod legal, why are they fitting road legal tyres?

14. It says it doesn't comply with the ADRs which mean it is too noisy and it probably doesnt even have cats.

15. i think what they were trying to say, is they didnt want to make a hugely powerful car and then have to worry about making it road legal. i dont think they were talking about this car not complying with ADRs.

16. The cars were built in part for a racing series in Australia, one is going to be used at Phillip Island for promo stuff and either Malasyia or Singapore are buying a couple to test out for proposed racing series.

17. This is the Australian take on the GT3 RS. A fatter, uglier version but good nonetheless.

18. The original GTS-R and maybe not the best.

19. Some more pics, by Simon.

20. It has no indicators,no padded steering wheel and that roll cage looks really road legal.

21. Delightful bottom.

22. um, lizardmech, you are a dumbass, you do realise that this car does not compete in something that the Ultima would, it's something like a B or C class racer, or maybe a production cars cup.

23. pardon me for being so retarded, but what else is that little strip of LED lights on the side of the normal ones for??

as far as i know you dont have to have a padded steering wheel for it to be road legal, and there are other road legal cars that have a rollcage. porsche GT3 clubsport i beleive has a rollcage. i think the gt2 does as well but im not sure about that one.

24. okay, i think we can add to the list to idiots

FORDFORD
    bbcstachas2
    doyle
    lizardmech

anyone else...

25. no lizardmech isnt an idiot, hes just wrong in this thread.