Hundreds Held Hostage in Russia School

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by amenasce, Sep 1, 2004.

1. 1. I didn't read details, but I would imagine a general increase in security.

2. Firstly, did you ever hear the expression, "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not after you"? Secondly, whether the threat is present or not, it is a socially dangerous state of mind. Don't take that to mean that I believe it's not necessary or that I have another solution. The only person I've ever even heard address this subject (however indirectly) is Michael Moore, but even that probably needs salt.

2. Why would anyone hold terrorists in a school?

3. I still think Russia as a nation will not be any safer after this. Putin is trying to lay the blame for the incident on international terrorism rather than dealing with the issue in Chechnya in a productive manner. The link between Arab terrorist organizations and the Chechnyan seperatists in tenuous at best, and everytime Bush or Putin calls the rebels terrorists it drives them ever closer to al Queda and the Arab Islamic extremist groups. The Chechnyan problem is big enough without pulling in extremists from around the globe. I still have trouble believing that FSB people on the scene stated that 9-10 of the attackers were of Arab decent, when it would appear that exactly 0 of them were! This reeks of trying to give Putin ammunition for his speech blaming everything in international terrorism rather than the results of years of messy internal Russian policy.

There is little doubt in my mind that each of the attackers in this case expected to die, Putin's (justifiable) brutal stance towards terrorists would never allow any demands to be met, and even though there was an attempt to put a new coat of paint on the policy by stating the last resort would be violence, the outcome was inevitable.

4. I don't know either. All his posts seem to be single line questions that make no sense.

5. #206 V8Vantage, Sep 6, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    You've got to hope he's doing it on purpose, after all he did manage to turn on his computer and type www.supercars.net into the browser ...

6. Linked maybe? Or googled from a car page?

7. Yeah, I was kidding. I said it more as a insult against Maine.

8. #209 Aequitas, Sep 6, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2016
    http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2004-09-06-russia-israel_x.htm

russia is working more with the israelis now. plus, in my paper it said that the russian's intentionally lied about the number of hostages. i wont judge, since i dont know enough, but it seems they have serious holes to fill in anti terrorism, but they're working on it

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20040906/1026312.asp

9. well ill agree with you insofar as saying that the government handling the whole "PR" thing regarding daily national security is pretty retarded, to say the least. because, now that you mention it, i cant think of something that could instill more solution-less paranoia than saying that there will be an attack today, we dont know where, dont know when, or by whom. shit like that.

but that aside, an aggressive approach to handling it, even on a daily basis, i feel is important. though i think the current way of informing the public is poor, the public needs to know if a threat is real and present; for their peace of mind, as well as for their own safety.

if we can ensure that, then we're halfway to preventing the kind of complacency that not only allowed 9/11 to happen, but left us all so completely shocked that it had. the other half is the more important half- the US intelligence, but that's another discussion...

10. h4x?

11. bumpzor?

13. megabumpage