I don't get it !! how come 0-60 is in 3.9 sec?

Discussion in '2002 Chevrolet Corvette Z06' started by SL55 AMG, Sep 27, 2002.

1. Re: I don't get it !! how come 0-60 is in 3.9 sec?

ok :D

2. Re: I don't get it !! how come 0-60 is in 3.9 sec?

I would ask have u ever heard of active handling control? GM was congradulated with this system because it allowed even a Moron to drive this car safely in the Snow, learn ur stuff 1st b4 u post.

3. Re: I don't get it !! how come 0-60 is in 3.9 sec?

yeah whatever! i was just saying that german traction controls are better, especially in MB's who introduced it 13 years ago!.. anyway i don't want to argue, i must admit the Corvette is an amazing car!

4. Re: I don't get it !! how come 0-60 is in 3.9 sec?

First off, I think that the 2000 Ford SVT Mustang Cobra R is the best factory produced race car ever made. But that isnt the point. yea i agree this is a bad ass car for a chevy. I give it mad props. the only thing is (all factorys do this chevy does it the worst though) chevy over rates all of their cars. do you ever notice how sometimes the race cars have slower 0-60 times then the factory cars? that seems weird considering how they could burn them on the track. Just like how the Cobra R beat the zo6 on the gt course (which is what matters anyways since its handling and speed combined)with 20 less hp and slower 0-60 times.....now how does that make sense? like i said before tho the zo6 is bad ass and i still think its a great car. nothing is better than floorin this thing and slammin gears.

Flys
    On
    Race
    Days

5. Re: I don't get it !! how come 0-60 is in 3.9 sec?

Just out of curiosity, what do you think about the Impreza WRX STI, it's just barely faster in 0-100km/h (4.5 sec.) I'm not sure about the 1/4, and it handles better, granted it's not available here yet, but will be this summer (an even better version than the current STI), so if you like the 2000 Cobra R then surely you must have some respect for the STI.

6. Re: I don't get it !! how come 0-60 is in 3.9 sec?

This is how it's done! "While in Bowling Green last fall I attended a seminar put on by a GM Corvette engineer. He did a powerpoint presentation on How to get sub 4 second 0 to 60 times. Near ideal weather, high pressure, cool temps and low humidity; a well prepared drag strip type surface; pre heat the tires with burn out; 2800 to 3200 rpm medium quick clutch drop; wait until tires hook before going to full throttle; power shift second gear at redline."

7. Re: I don't get it !! how come 0-60 is in 3.9 sec?

One of the reasons the STi has such quick acceleration is that it has AWD, which slightly hinders its performance in other areas (like handling).

8. Re: I don't get it !! how come 0-60 is in 3.9 sec?

Correction,it affects the skidpad rating, however the AWD makes it more nimble, and more controllable, and with the power distributed according to the driver's preference, the driver can change the AWD's handling, which for the road can be changed up to 60% rear, 40% front, which would make it handle better than a lot of RWD's, virtually all RWD's with the same dimensions. And in slippery conditions, AWD is an incredible advantage for handling.

9. Re: I don't get it !! how come 0-60 is in 3.9 sec?

But extra weight and more drivetrain loss tend to offset these advantages, however slight they may be.

10. Re: I don't get it !! how come 0-60 is in 3.9 sec?

The weight isn't a whole lot more, and in well designed AWD cars the weight distribution is very good (look at the STI, weight distribution is 52/48), and AWD engines can be much lower in the drivetrain, leading to a lower center of gravity. On well designed AWD drivetrains drivetrain hp loss can be as little as 15%, less than a lot of RWD cars. So those disadvantages far from set off the advantages of AWD.

11. Re: I don't get it !! how come 0-60 is in 3.9 sec?

Also, AWD does not always indicate better handling. Take a look at the GT2 and 911 Turbo. While the turbo has AWD (a very good system I might add), it's a well known fact that the GT2 does indeed handle much better. Also most any proffessionally raced car will be RWD, as are most of the cars touted as having the best handling.

12. Re: I don't get it !! how come 0-60 is in 3.9 sec?

Weight distribution plays a huge factor as well, the GT2 has far better weight distribution than the 911 Turbo, it doesn't handle better because it's RWD, it handles better because it was designed to handle better.

You want to look at professional racing? How about the early 80's when AWD was banned from LeMans, because after Audi dominated (what, three seasons in a row?) the series, AWD was deemed an unfair advantage. AWD isn't used for most forms of racing because it is not allowed, and for many forms of racing, the cars would have to be entirely redesigned, AWD would add several hundred grand extra to the already high cost of high end racing machines. For F1 it's not very practical because it would add a bit more weight to the cars, and they try to keep it to the lowest possible weight limit, so every small amount counts. A good enough AWD system hasn't been designed yet for F1 cars, wait a few years.

In fact, all forms of racing in which AWD is not banned, AWD is dominating the competitions, look at last year's Speed GT championship, Audi had a 1,2,3 finish on the last race of the season and won for their class, and frequently do.

13. Re: I don't get it !! how come 0-60 is in 3.9 sec?

That's because race cars are simply that, race cars. NOT Drag-racing cars.

How often is a race car going from a stand still to 60mph? Basically just at the pits so a few tenths of a second doesn't matter in a 24 hr race.

14. Re: I don't get it !! how come 0-60 is in 3.9 sec?

I hate to burst your bubble but the Z06 beats the 2000 Cobra R all the way around, 1/4, road courses, everything. I have a video on my computer comparing the 2001 Viper ACR $86000 the Cobra R $56000 and The 2001 Corvette Z06 $53000, and it beat both on the road course! Even though the Cobra R doesnt have air, radio, etc, the Z06 still weighs about 100-200lbs less than it!

15. Re: I don't get it !! how come 0-60 is in 3.9 sec?

The Cobra R has back seats doesn't it?

16. Re: I don't get it !! how come 0-60 is in 3.9 sec?

wow, you can read the "Quick Guide to your Mercedes" !!
    besides, a Z06 will smoke any Merc, except for the CLK GTR; you don't happen to have one of those, do you billie boy?? No? so then shut the **** up !!!!

oh yeah, i'm european, so you don't think i'm bias, but American cars will just SLAUGHTER any street legal euro cars. and the Z06 would make a debauchery out of any asian car except the Blitz Skyline.

17. Re: I don't get it !! how come 0-60 is in 3.9 sec?

Dauer 962 LM
    Ferrari Enzo
    Mclaren F1 LM
    Gemballa 750 Evo

None of the above will be 'slaughtered by American cars. The fact remains, the US doesn't have as many companies focused on high-end exotics or street legal race cars.

18. Re: I don't get it !! how come 0-60 is in 3.9 sec?

Though it's a bit slower (not by much, the Power delivery is far better on the NSX for what power it has, than it is on the Z06), it handles considerably better, and as such, competes quite well with the Z06. There are other Street legal versions that will compete with the Z06.

19. Re: I don't get it !! how come 0-60 is in 3.9 sec?

I can't believe I'm entering this thread but here goes...

Two things about 4WD/AWD. According to magazines I've read, the main reason for AWD is not grip or anything like that - this depends on the tyres, suspension, chassis, etc. The reason AWD exists and is good on a race track is in how effectively it TRANSFERS POWER TO THE GROUND. Exiting a corner, applying throttle too early or too hard induces either understeer, pushing the nose wide (off the track), or oversteer, which apart from rallying, is never the fastest way around a corner. All Wheel Drive combats this by applying power to all four wheels, thereby REDUCING (not eliminating) these effects. Result: you can apply power HARDER and EARLIER in an AWD car than in a RWD or FWD. However, for novices this is NOT such a good idea, because by increasing the limits of the car, you also reduce the cushion built into the chassis for error, ie. a novice will not be able to handle the extra speed afforded by AWD in the event that traction is lost.

Secondly, I thought four or all wheel drive IS banned from F1??? I think I read somewhere that a car in the 60's was designed with a turbine (like a jet! =P) engine and four wheel drive and suffered reliability problems but left the field in the dust for a few seasons (apart from reliability problems - sound familiar Maclaren??). F1 officials weren't impressed and I believe that initially turbine inlet area was cut by 40% (?) and then by a further 75% the following season. Imagine losing that much power! Turbines were, effectively, banned because they could no longer produce such a prolific power advantage with the inlet area so restricted! I think at the same time four wheel drive was banned. Correct me if I'm wrong? Anywayz, F1 is where innovation is either emulated by every team, or banned. Sucks eh? =0P

20. Re: I don't get it !! how come 0-60 is in 3.9 sec?

The Corvette isn't just speed . . . I guess you wouldn't understand this, but the Corvette name and that car is a legend . . . it's been around for awhile now. The thing is, GM could make the Corvette just as luxurious as your precious SL55, but they keep it affordable so that more people have the opportunity to own a great car, instead of just a few with the Benz. I don't care if there are alot of Vettes on the streets and many others own them . . . it is still a hell of a car. Many the people would agree with me. And why is that every year when the C5-R goes over to Le Mans and they also bring a couple production Vettes with them that alot of people really like them? One, the sound of the engine is great . . . just don't have that throaty American V8 sound over there. Mercedes targets a different crowd with their cars too . . . typically older folk, who, if they would went would be even more of a hazard to the road. Man, you need to be less narrowminded. The SL55 isn't a bad car . . . but I think alot of people would rather have the Z06.

21. Re: I don't get it !! how come 0-60 is in 3.9 sec?

Corvette is a legend . . . just look at how long it has been around and what all it has accomplished. The M3 is a nice car and I would like to have one of those too, Vette first though. I think most of us dream to own a C5-R. You hear they were fixin to sell one out at Monterey?

22. Re: I don't get it !! how come 0-60 is in 3.9 sec?

You know the reason why America does not have companies focused on those types of cars? Not profitable, if it were, then there would be. It's not that GM and the others can't do it, cuz they can . . . proven time and time again. It's all about the power of the dollar in today's world.

23. Re: I don't get it !! how come 0-60 is in 3.9 sec?

I know... I was just pointing out the ignorance of the person who said something along the lines of "American cars will slaughter and street legal European cars".

24. Re: I don't get it !! how come 0-60 is in 3.9 sec?

You're mostly right, but you can't deny that Ferrari makes a lot of money. Certainly it isn't as much as companies like Ford and GM, but it's not like they are on the verge of bankruptcy either.

25. Re: I don't get it !! how come 0-60 is in 3.9 sec?

People sure can be ignorant eh?