i dont get it READ THIS AND WRITE BACK

Discussion in '1952 Chrysler ‘Thomas Special’ Prototype' started by sniper, Aug 9, 2002.

1. Re: i dont get it READ THIS AND WRITE BACK

Someone that knows what they are talking about

2. Re: i dont get it READ THIS AND WRITE BACK

The G500 is an extremely capable off-roader. In some spots it would be better than the H1. The G500 has a shorter wheelbase and a narrower track, so it would be better in the tight spots and boulder climbing that is sometimes encountered while off-roading. And the G500 will be more than capable of handling the limited off-roading that purchasers of these vehicles are likely to do.

But don't get me wrong. The H1 is an incredible vehicle, and for the most part, in most off-road situations, would beat the G500.

But in my view the H1 has at least one shortfall: the engine. It has remained mostly unchanged since the H1 introduced 10 years ago. It was a very good engine at that time, and is still a very capable engine, but it needs updating. Up until a few years ago, the only way to get more hp and torque out of an engine was to up the revs, but low revs are good for off-roading because then the power is there, on demand, whenever you need it. You don’t need to wait for the engine to rev up. But the new turbodiesel engines by Ford, Dodge, and GM all have better hp/L and torque/L ratings than the H1’s engine, and at similar and sometimes lower rpm values.

Here are the facts for those engines: (all turbodiesels)

H1 6.5L 195hp @ 3400 rpm 430 lb/ft @ 1800 rpm
    GM 6.6L 300hp @ 3100 rpm 520 lb/ft @ 1800 rpm
    Ford 6.0L 325hp @ 3300 rpm 560 lb/ft @ 2000 rpm
    Dodge 5.9L 250hp @ 2900 rpm 460 lb/ft @ 1400 rpm

The H1 is the premier off-roader. It needs to keep up with the times. Now that the H2 is launched, GM should focus on upgrading the H1. Hopefully they will only update the engine, the electronics, and maybe the interior, and maybe they won’t completely mess the H1 up, as car companies are prone to do when they update an incredible vehicle.

3. Re: i dont get it READ THIS AND WRITE BACK

By the way, don't trash a car just because you think another car is better than it. Just because the H1 could probably beat the G500 in an off-road compatition doesn't mean that the G500 sucks. Same goes for other cars in other forums. Just because car A is faster than car B doesn't mean car B sucks. The fact that it is on this site means that it is a very good car (usually, although some pretty normal run-of-the-mill cars have been posted).

So don't hate.

4. Re: i dont get it READ THIS AND WRITE BACK

How about the I6 Turbodiesel out of the Dodge Power Wagon Concept, It's good for 780 lb-ft of twist and you keep the diesel soundtrack.

Of course, you also lose two cylinders, in case that matters to you, for me, it's the numbers that talk.

5. Re: i dont get it READ THIS AND WRITE BACK

gamer is gay!!! he humps turtles!

6. Re: i dont get it READ THIS AND WRITE BACK

The engine should be updated before long and hope that some where down the line it doesn't become a hybrid electric.

Diesels always run lower revs than gasoline engines.

And another thing. Does the Hummer have a heating unit on the fuel tank because if it doesn't, my old 351ci 4x4 Offroad F-150 could do better off roading on days like to today (Sub Zero Temps) because it could move away from the starting line? In other words, if it don't have a heater on the fuel cell the diesel would gel up and the truck is worthless to me.

7. Re: i dont get it READ THIS AND WRITE BACK

I hate when these stupid little ignorant kids that have no interest in cars post this worthless crap!!! GET A LIFE!!!!!!

8. Re: i dont get it READ THIS AND WRITE BACK

If it ant broke dont fix it.

9. Re: i dont get it READ THIS AND WRITE BACK

If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is!

10. Re: i dont get it READ THIS AND WRITE BACK

Modify the computer chip in the stock 7.3 L Power Stroke and you can get over 800 lb ft Torque and 550 HP.

11. Re: i dont get it READ THIS AND WRITE BACK

Most people looking to modify their cars or trucks have neither the resourses nor knowledge to modify computer chips.

12. Re: i dont get it READ THIS AND WRITE BACK

That is the thing though. The engine is designed to get that kind of performance but than it doesn't meet emission requirements and drinks more gas. Other than that, it doesn't cost much but only International (maker of the powerstroke) knows how to do it.

13. Re: i dont get it READ THIS AND WRITE BACK

Diesel engines hardly ever have high horsepower numbers. They more than make up for that with torque. The design of a diesel engine makes it a low revving torue producer(it's low revving, because diesel does not burn as readily as gas and produces high torque by its higher compression and other factors). The H1 also has 2:1 geared hubs, further adding to it low top speed and acceleration, but it will pull your house of its foundation.

14. Re: i dont get it READ THIS AND WRITE BACK

Well, Ford found a way to make their 6.0 get high revs and run better then low reving engines. Go figure, it defies the laws of diesel engines.

15. Re: i dont get it READ THIS AND WRITE BACK

Would a Viper SRT-10 be crazy?

16. Re: i dont get it READ THIS AND WRITE BACK

wtf?

17. Re: i dont get it READ THIS AND WRITE BACK

i mean a srt-10 engine in a h1.

18. Re: i dont get it READ THIS AND WRITE BACK

It a diesel ..that should explain alot to you. it can climb vertically too i think it can climb a 4 foot wall. the from wheels are out farther than the nose of the truck

19. Re: i dont get it READ THIS AND WRITE BACK

He is NOT an idiot, the G500 is very close to what the hummer is offroad. Its been used by the german army for a while alread as the Gwagen, just recently introduced to the public and several other armies, icluding the USMC have ordered them now because it can also take a beating its more practical in street roads and in small mountain trails, and due to its low grav point it can climb higher degree hills than the H1.

20. Re: i dont get it READ THIS AND WRITE BACK

I'd like to see those two in a competition. I'd pay to see that.

21. heh...the H2 is pathetic. I saw a vid of it going over a rocky trail and the axle snaps as it tries to traverse some fairly easy terrain.